Skip to main content

Topic: Game Update 2: The Champion system (Read 3064 times) previous topic - next topic

Game Update 2: The Champion system
Game Update 2: The Champion system

Champion system:

This is the meat of this game update, and something we expect will make PvE more exciting for all.
Champion monsters are stronger versions of regular monsters that have a chance of appearing on any spawns.
The core idea is that the more efficient you are at clearing monster spawns, the more frequently they will appear.

Champion monsters will drop:
- A ramped up version of their monster type loot table.
- A higher chance to drop keys and treasure maps.
- A chance to drop progression consumables for attributes, magic schools, weapons and combat titles.
- A small amount of meditation on kill, split between characters engaged with the spawn.
- All probabilities increase with monster tier, up to a guaranteed combat title book.

Very low level monsters, boss level monsters and rare ore golems cannot become champions.
Note that spawns in dungeons tend to have faster respawn rates. At some point in their progression, players will become limited by overworld respawn rate.
This should encourage players to move on to more challenging monsters and/or spawns for increased rewards once their character or player knowledge progresses enough.
We expect competent veteran players to be able to generate 4 to 5 champions per hour on medium to medium-high monsters.

Go out, experiment, improve and enjoy the fruits of your efforts.
Beware, some of them can be quite the challenge.

Title books and other progression consumables:

To serve the champion system, we tweaked existing progression consumables and implemented title consumables:
- Attribute potions: still give +1, but can be used up to 100.
- Skill Books: Start giving +5 with diminishing return down to +1. Can be used up to lvl 100.
- Combat title book: Gives +5 to a random active combat title that is bellow lvl 50. Can be used up to lvl 50.

For now, these can only be found reliably within the Champion system, but we may use them as rewards for other activities.

Other changes:
- Holdings banks can be accessed in withdraw only for any player who lost access due to circumstances other than a siege. The bank needs to be built.
- The global gold account can be used to purchase items from NPC vendors.
- Mount inventories for racial mounts and battlehorn have been increased by 50%.
- A bug prevented part of lootables from scaling. We fixed it and reduced base loot to maintain previous average output in these cases.
- Various other minor loot table tweaks have gone through. We still have more data and feedback to process from the skinning changes.
- The rare ore golems below leenspar have had their hit points increased.

Next patch should conclude our current PvE focus.
It will be about the bindstone quests, some progression tweaks and we'll resume work on balancing changes, starting with necromancy. We needed all hands on deck to finalize these features.
Expect some meta/conquest related changes to be completed afterwards.
The Darkfall: New Dawn Dev Team.

Re: Game Update 2: The Champion system
Reply #1
Edit: Having just hopped on for an hour and spawned 4 champions I have to say this is the Christmas patch.

The anticipation of good loot when you are fighting that champion is awesome.
- A title I'm levelling went up by 10 points.
- 2 other skills went up by 5 points each from skill books
- added a point to my dex and my strength
- nice med point boost
- 2 keys also

You have made it so playing for 60 - 90 minutes "above ground" is worthwhile now

1 observation - I had to choose between skinning mobs (during my powerhour) or getting champions to spawn faster. Perhaps change this so skinning a mob also creates anger so you can do both. I left a lot of gravestones today and will continue to until I have finished skilling up.

You now have by far the best MMO on the market.
If you progress the territory control with the same quality as the PvE people will be mad not to play this game instead of others. I feel sorry for people playing the boring PvE-only games.

Congratulations.

Happy to pay for a sub now and see you bring on more devs.
  • Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 06:01:29 am by Alberton
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Chunder McBushpig
Token Horde Australian

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Reply #2
So what's the surprise?
Azmoodeus Barnmere
Garbage Men

Reply #3
Really nice changes, i expect a lot of group pve going on in the future.
Love that you can now use books and attribute pots up to 100

• gosti
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
Looks similar to faction spawns from eve.

Reply #5
would be nice to have the minimum time required to spawn champions on the world map's mobspawn tooltips so players who arent in big clans dont have to waste 10 hours on every fucking mobspawn to figure out how fast you need to kill them

Reply #6
Good patch, however why does it have to be random?

- Combat title book: Gives +5 to a random active combat title that is bellow lvl 50. Can be used up to lvl 50.

It would be great if we could select which title to increase instead of relying on randomness.

• Niburu
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
Great incentive to go out PvE on mediumd/hard spawns. I always loved the random loot and with consumables we now get even more. title consumables allow for fast respec of combat titles. Great.

@Ub3rgames

Are the Thainlord spawns fixed on Yssam. They used to stop spawning after a short time.
Darkfall is the best experience on PC with my pants not unzipped.

Reply #8
Good patch, however why does it have to be random?

It would be great if we could select which title to increase instead of relying on randomness.
While I'm not a fan of random, it's not too bad - as most players will only have 1 or max of 2 titles under 50 when they switch builds...

Still a member of SaltyBitches™ Club

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
Are the Thainlord spawns fixed on Yssam. They used to stop spawning after a short time.

Thainlords only spawn at night afaik

As far as the patch goes.
What spawns were bugged, or are the players meant to check all the spawns they checked after the loot rework now to see if things have changed.

I mean...i guess we will go for champions anyway so may aswell leave us in the dark on that one maybe?
Yay, new content. By double checking the old content to see if anything changed and/or is worth doing now with champions added.
  • Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 05:24:22 pm by Nuyur

Reply #10
@Azmoodeus
There are a couple hidden in the notes. ;)

@mongoloid123
Not really needed. Champions are not that rare. Good players should be able to reach 4-5 per hour.
Your size of group shouldn't impact much beyond good cooperation increasing efficiency.

@eyerot @Wyverex
Remember that the purpose of titles is inertia. You're in full control and will climb up fast if you switch only part of your build.
If you switch 5 combat titles, you will be at the mercy of the random, but each title book will be like a +1 to all of your titles.

@Niburu
@Nuyur might have it right, because as far as we know, there aren't any issues with thainlords.

Reply #11
Thank you for listening to title consumables, but I do have to admit the patch is not that great. I expected more..
Mr. Wam Wam

Reply #12
I'm happy my suggestion for bigger mount inventories got implemented :)

Still a member of SaltyBitches™ Club

• Bish
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #13
Nice patch.
Is this retroactive?
- Holdings banks can be accessed in withdraw only for any player who lost access due to circumstances other than a siege. The bank needs to be built.

What does this mean? Does this include skinning? As in, skinning will scale with the group now?
- A bug prevented part of lootables from scaling. We fixed it and reduced base loot to maintain previous average output in these cases.[/qoute]
  • Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 05:34:39 pm by Bish
Biash Aldanari - Wardens

Reply #14
@Bish
Yes, the bank access is retro active. The items were never lost, they just needed some social-engineering to recover.
The only difference is that now, players can sneak in and recover on their own without interacting with other players.