Skip to main content

Topic: Skinning in groups, kraken timer, astrolabes (Read 427 times) previous topic - next topic

Skinning in groups, kraken timer, astrolabes
I have been working with this since the patch, and while the buffs to solo are good, I think the nerfs to groups are overdone. With a group of five we basically get the same drop/time as farming solo, within a couple. Skinning rates appear to drop a little with groups of five, compared to solo play. I think this should be examined, group play is not working so well- our guys have reverted to farming solo because the rewards per person per unit of time are better.

The kraken timer has been reset to 1 hour. They do drop ship mods, which are useful: but there is only one spot on the map where there are more than two in close proximity. It takes some effort to get a group together, get the ships all ready, etc, for a very modest amount of gold and usually about 5 mods per kill. Perhaps they might spawn a bit faster?

Astrolabes appear to be very, very rare drops. In our very big alliance, we only have had 5 since launch. The only mob with a greater than 0% chance is the kraken- and see above re: re-spawning rates. Without these items, you can't make ships: and there are still some things to do with ships. Perhaps the drop rates need to be examined?

Keep up the good work!

Re: Skinning in groups, kraken timer, astrolabes
Reply #1
I didn't realise krakens now spawn in npc cities
I dueled him once and was in control first half of the fight and then food buff wore out and not noticing lost, so he did win but hes by no means any better a player than I.

Reply #2
dont need to buff alts, just wait for championmob patch

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
Group farming in general got overnerfed, the kraken just eats shit both ways because it got nerfed ontop.
Rare drops used to scale with group farming, meaning more maps ect which includes your saught after astrolabes.
They, dont appear to, anymore. So ye, now you actually have to kill 20~ krakens to get one.
With a 1 hour respawn timer, im sure thats a lot of fun.

I wonder what the idea is behind dropping 100 ship modules from krakens and only yielding 1 astrolabe.
(i mean, we could scale up to include a mariners astrolabe...ship of the line are a possibility afterall)
Because from my PoV, what is a ship crafter to do aside from wasting mats on modules that will likely never see use just to have the skill high enough to make ships with the modules looted from kraken farming just to get a damn astrolabe.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh wait, i forgot, people are meant to be farming bonecrew captains for the <1% drop rate.
That will cover the gap, carry on.

Reply #4
Supposedly, Astrolabes are meant to be player craftable.
Supposedly, when jewelcrafting is redone.
Supposedly.

ps.  Also, the White Dragon has a 50% drop rate for Astros.  Supposedly.
  • Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 11:48:23 am by Ktorr

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
Ah ok, that makes sense.
Thats a huge new feature to implement though, not like its as simple as adding a line in the alchemy? xml file and making a recipe that takes some number of materials in some quantaties that make some semblance of sense.

#priorities

Reply #6
White Dragon has a 50% drop rate for Astros.  Supposedly.

cant kill it with alts = altfallers crying for fix

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
the ice dragon is about 3x more annoying to kill than a fire dragon.
Alts dont help you anymore with spawn scaling, so that doesnt make much sense.

Having said that, if an astrolabe is worth like...100k ea...it still wouldnt be enough to pay for the time you need to get to the ice dragon and kill it. Just like firedragons are kinda..meh?...on income aswell (even before the spawn scaling nerfs came in)

Ill just repeat that patching in new crafting recepies is almost literally no work at all, but hey...

#priorities

Reply #8
I didnt really see the purpose of nerfing group farming. Solo farming was lacking and that is fortunatly fixed now. Yes alt farming is/was an issue but honestly imo it's a lesser evil if it means I can farm with my friends and not feel bad about it giving lesser gains.
Azmoodeus Barnmere
Garbage Men

Reply #9
Does scaling it up still make more than 1 dragon pop? cause the only time we tried it with a group of 4/5 people, around a month ago, we got 2 dragons coming our way :-(

Reply #10
Does scaling it up still make more than 1 dragon pop? cause the only time we tried it with a group of 4/5 people, around a month ago, we got 2 dragons coming our way :-(

5 = 1
6-9 = 2
10-x = 3 etc

Reply #11

5 = 1
6-9 = 2
10-x = 3 etc
The last patch said the Kraken scales differently now.
Don't know how differently though.

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
Im 100% sure the spawn scaling isnt like mycke said anymore.
It used to be like that...but it got patched.

1-14 = 1
15-??? = 2

Thats for both kraken and fire dragons, im assuming ice dragons and baradron got lumped in with the same group.
Maybe devil, demon too?

Anyway, point is that loot scaling is fucked and a level 14 only drops twice the loot of a level 1.
So even if you were to bring 13 alts just to duo 2 level 15 ice dragons...its still just 2 ice dragon worth of loot each.
I mean, the alts can just die thats not the problem. The problem is that killing them will take you hours.
It would be more efficient to just duo the thing four days in a row...

And that goes for just about any spawn in the game right now, which is why people arent scaling anymore.
Its like uber introduces a patch with 1 thing in mind, and things get taken a whole different direction and then its fucked for week(s), untill they get around to patching something usefull in again.

There's only 2 reasons left to spawn scale.
1. you need material x in as large ammount as possible and you cannot wait any ammount of time and there arent any alternative spawns to get it.
2. you actually enjoy playing with your clan members and will sacrifice personal income to have fun in the game.
  • Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 09:03:45 am by Nuyur

• Niburu
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #13
Farming in a group also grants security
Darkfall is the best experience on PC with my pants not unzipped.

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
You dont need to spawn scale for that though.
I could pay somebody to sit next to a spawn and fight if players show up.
He doesnt need to level the monsters, and it (pending this patch i guess) wouldnt even hurt our income that much.
I could give him half the loot and come out about even myself...