Skip to main content

Topic: Darkfall Guide (Read 988 times) previous topic - next topic

Darkfall Guide
My name is Jacca Knoff, you may know me in game as Ythyrrlyn Visteen. I have been playing Darkfall for 2 months.
   In these 2 months I've been taught several mechanics and figured some out on my own. Feel free to correct me on anything that seems incorrect, since I'm still fairly new. Not everything will covered because I've only ever played a Spell Chanting mage.

Races
In Darkfall there are six races. For the most part there is very little difference between them. The main reason you choose a race is for your clan. Realistically the difference between the races is less than a 10% advantage in what they're good at and only versus their polar opposites in height.
   Mercian, Mirdain, and Dwarves make up The Human Alliance. In terms of height advantage The Human Alliance works well in melee against The Orkish Horde (This will be a recurring theme). Their rays have max distance against The Orkish Horde on flat land. Their AoE spells are better than Alfar except for Dwarves (We'll get into this).
   Mahirim and Orks make up The Orkish Horde. They have the advantage in AoEs and not much else. AoEs are one of the strongest things in the game.
   Alfar are on their own. Because they're the shortest (tied with Dwarves) their melee is the best and their AoEs are more difficult to use. Their rays, of course, are always max distance to the target on flat land.
   Information on racial passives can be seen here: Racial Passives.

Leveling Skills
There are two ways to level up a skill. Meditation and Combat.
Combat is very straight forward, you go and attack a mob. The more difficult the mob the more skill gain you get. You also get more skill gain based on your damage. When focused on gaining skills and you can commit an hour of time you can use a skill called PowerHour every 22 hours that gives you 1 hours of double skill gain.
   Meditation gives you skill gain while offline. To access this press ESC and locate the journal. Click Meditation in the journal and tick the Enable Meditation checkbox and check the skill you wish to level up and apply.
   To gain meditation your options are Quests, Village Control Points, Chaos Chests, Maps, and Keys. Quests can be gotten from any racial city and the quest line generally gives a decent chunk of points. There are also Daily quests in dungeons that give a little more meditation than a Village Control Point. A Village Control point is a PvP objective that gives the victor roughly 9k meditation and some gold. Maps and Keys can be got from mob drops and are turned in by location where to go on your map whether that is by searching for their matching chest or finding where the X marks the spot. Chaos Chests are randomly spawned boxes in the world that generally give small rewards and a few hundred meditation, but have a chance to give a very large item reward.

Joining a Clan
To join a clan you press ESC, locate the Clans button, click Menu, click Browse Clans, click the magnifying glass in the bottom left, type the name of the clan you wish to join, click the green arrow, click the clan name, hit menu again, then recruitment, and apply. Before doing any of this though, be sure to actually have a chat with the person recruiting.
   To find a clan the first place to look is the forums or the Race Alliance chat channel.  Some clans recruit straight from the in-game chat channels. Others tend to stick to the forums. The Clan recruitment section can be found here: Clan Recruitment.
   It's important to find a clan that is your racial alliance, your timezone, and plays in a style that you enjoy. There's no point in playing the game if you can't enjoy it.
   It's worth noting that most clans will be using a VoiP service like Discord or Teamspeak. Having that available and a functioning microphone is very important.

Useful Commands
All commands can be looked through by pressing tab while typing in the chat, or by typing /help.   
   Some of the more notable commands are /waypoint, /annotation_add <text>, /invite <name>, /partycreate, /partyleave
   To bind a command to a key use the command /bind <key> <command>. The command should be typed without a slash prefix. This is most useful for binding waypoint. As an example this would look like "/bind b waypoint". Waypointing can tell your team where you are which is especially important when you go down and need a revive.

Combat Mechanics

Aim
Aim comes in a few flavors. We have Flicking, Tracking, and Prediction. In general all three benefit greatly from a lower sensitivity.
   Flicking is the act of using your muscle memory to snap to a target to take a shot. In the context of Darkfall: New Dawn we'd be looking at Rays and AoEs for this type of aiming. If you happen to have good flick aim in other games (and can get your sensitivity right) your group magic will be strong.
   Tracking is the act of keeping your crosshair on the enemy. There isn't a whole lot of this in Darkfall but having strong tracking will increase your melee consistency. Tracking is also a very big part of the next type of aim.
   Prediction is the act of predicting the enemy. To place your crosshair in their path in order to create a scenario where you can't miss. There are two ways this is used in Darkfall. Both Bolts and Archery require the player to predict their opponent.

(I'm sure the hitbox is bigger, this is just an example)
Melee
In Darkfall melee damage is done in a small AoE in front of the player. This means the player can potentially hit multiple opponents.
   Melee Range can be increased by tilting the camera up. Normally the range would be Range*Cosine(Theta), and that likely holds true when aiming down. However since the hitbox is a box and off center from the player's aim we end up with a scenario like the picture above, where aiming up at an angle increases the range, but aiming down decreases the range. This also means that extremely tall races are at a disadvantage versus shorter races. Like many things you'll see here, this can be made up with player skill.
   "Sticky backing" is the act of staying on someone's back for the express purpose of murdering them. Now it seems straight forward, but if a player were to attempt to walk forward while spinning they wouldn't get very far. This can be remedied by slow turning. That is to say tracking but in slow motion. By creating an arc to your target instead of a sharp turn you lose significantly less speed and can stay on their back for an extended period.

Rays
Imagine a Mahirim and an Alfar are standing side by side firing their Ray at a Dwarf. The Mahirim is 1 unit taller than the Alfar and the Dwarf is 1 unit away.  Since we have 3 points of information we can create a right triangle. So using the Pythagorean Theorem we end up with the Hypotenuse being 1.4142 which is about 41% longer than the adjacent side.
   What does this mean? Since the Dwarf and the Alfar are the same size in order to hit the Dwarf, the Alfar doesn't have to look down at an angle. However, since the Mahirim has to look at an angle their ray has to travel longer to reach the target. Which means, any time a player looks down at an angle they lose range on their ray. (I should note, it's going to be a very low percentage lost.)
   For mages this becomes difficult because we have a need to look down to place AoEs on the ground. A good habit, however, is to look higher up on the target before attempting to ray.

AoEs
In Darkfall there are a few kinds of AoEs. The main two are Field AoEs and R90s. Both of these can be found in almost every school of magic and serve two very different purposes.
   Field AoEs are used for denying a zone and vision through or within that zone. This is very important at the beginning of the fight because it allows the mage to prevent melee who lack AoE (outside of melee) from damaging them or their group with any consistency.
   R90s on the other hand are smaller radius, sometimes instant, bursts of damage (or healing). They can be used to offset poor aim, or more likely to hit a target that is obscured by a Field AoE, obstacle, or blind.
   To effectively use R90s in a group they can be synced. If an R90 sync is used by a gaggle of mages the victims may very well lose a significant portion of health. To do this one person in the flock will likely give a signal to charge up an AoE and strike a target when they give the order.

AoE Height Advantage
Let's take that same example from before with the Mahirim and the Dwarf instead this time the Dwarf target is 1 unit away, the Alfar is 0.5 units tall, and the Mahirim is 1 unit tall. This time they're aiming at his feet for an AoE. This forms a 45-45-90 Right Triangle between the Wolf and his prey. However, for the Alfar this forms a 26.6-63.4-90 Right Triangle with the Alfar and the dorf.
   While the range is lower for the Alfar since he's closer to the ground. That puts the Alfar's AoE at a distance of 1.118 units and of course our Mahirim with his 45-45-90 Triangle still suffers at a distance of 1.4142 units. In this case, however, the Mahirim has the clear advantage.
   For the sake of argument let's get rid of the decimals on the Alfar's Triangle. It's now a 27-63-90 Triangle. So using this information we can come up with 0.5*Cot(Angle) is equal to the ground distance between the Alfar and the Target. At 26 degrees we have 1.025 units. If we raise that to 27 degrees as if we were going to aim slightly behind him we have 0.981. With some math magic that comes out to roughly 4% change. With the Mahirim going from a 45 to a 44 degree with a similar formula (Which turns out to just be Cot(Angle)) we get a 3.4% change.
   4/3.4 gives us roughly 1.18. This means at a smaller height our "Ground Target Sensitivity" is higher. While this example is extreme Alfar ground targeting sensitivity is higher than a Mahirim and a lower sensitivity leads to more consistent aiming.

Archery
(and bolts, I suppose)
When aiming the aim will mostly have to be predictive. Arrows are fairly fast, but not instant like a ray. When a target is using evasive maneuvers it may be more beneficial to slow down your aim and track slightly behind them so they can turn back into your arrow, or speed up your aim in an attempt to get ahead of them.

Universal Spells
Cantrips and Regeneration are the schools of magic everyone has unlocked and maxed at character creation. As with all spells they are negatively affected by ecumberence of armor. Casting Unburden while wearing melee gear will help you get the most of these spells. The most useful are as follows.
   Regeneration, the entire school. Sometimes called transfers because they sacrifice one pool for another. Stam to Health, Health to Mana, Mana to Stam, Heal Self are the four spells unlocked by default. These need to be bound somewhere easy to hit, because regardless of playstyle you WILL cast them (or die). In general they should be casted whenever there is downtime. If you're blind, cast a transfer. If you're running for your life, cast a transfer. If you're stuck in a Wall of Force, cast a transfer (and parry).
   Begone, Launch, and Telekinesis are the three movement based skills given to the player at character creation. Begone can be used in combat offensively to knock back a melee target or defensively to run away. Launch is purely defensive, however unlike Begone it can allow you to choose the angle at which you wish to fly by casting it in different ways.
   While in Water begone and launch can make you travel much faster. Faster than boats and certainly faster than not using them at all. To get the most out of Begone you want to place it in front of you and jump out of the water into it. To get the most out of Launch you want to look straight down, jump, and release the spell the moment you're out of the water.
   Telekinesis is only useful pre-combat. But with Telekinesis you can get into places you normally wouldn't be able to. It's most useful when something is very high up or has a slight lip. Most of the obstacles can be cleared with Launch, but for those that can't Telekinesis comes in very handy.
   Heal Mount deserves a special mention. It's free, you will be using mounts, have it on your bar. It does just as the name describes. In general you want your mount to be full health. It doesn't take much to kill your mount and without it the travel time is much longer. A damaged mount can also mean your death if you happen to encounter PvP while traveling.

Consumables
Food and Potions are the consumables in this game. Food provides a buff which regenerates both Health and Stamina. In order to fight efficiently regardless of spec you need both these. If you run out of health or stamina you die.
   Potions give a very brief buff that lasts a few seconds and restores health, stamina, or mana. Potions have a 60 second cooldown. Typically Stamina potions are very good to have because it's the hardest to help someone else regenerate. Health potions help your survivability, but depending on your spec you may have several sources of health regeneration. Mana potions, if you're a mage, help you sustain your damage.

Basic Teamfighting

1. Initiation
In general the goal of starting a group fight is to get them to commit. That is to say, elicit a flight or fight response from the target group. It doesn't matter how this happens, however depending on what they choose will change the look of the fight.
   While in Flight if playing properly their options are mount up and run, or run unmounted (to recommit). If unmounted the enemy's backline becomes the frontline and vice versa. This means, the people who are now in front should be healing the new backline. If they aren't playing properly: Congratulations! You just picked off a straggler and reduced their numbers.
   If they fight we can move onto the next step.

2. Follow up
At this stage there are various ways to go about it. In general the two opposed playstyles (melee and mage) end up having a slightly different job.
   The mages first spells should Field AoEs followed up by an R90 sync through the resulting cloud. By using field AoEs the mages can control the zone in which the enemy can fight and prevent melee from doing any real damage due to the blinding effect.
   Melee have two ways they can play. They can take advantage of the blind effect and attack from the enemy's flank. Or the melee can stay near their mages to attack enemy melee who try the same thing. Playing from the enemy flank is riskier but more effective. Mages have plenty of self peel so either playstyle is worthwhile.

3. Pick off Stragglers
This happens more or less the same time as the previous step. Someone, somewhere, WILL be out of position. Whether that's the melee who skirted around the Field AoEs to get to your flank or a mage who wanted a better angle and tried the same.
   If you flanked with multiple melee then pressing the attack may result in a kill. If you're a single melee who decided to flank around the outside and the person you ended up on is able to get back to their group it might be better to fall back to your group and find a target everyone can focus.

4. Clean Up
After you pick off enough stragglers and have numbers advantage you can just charge in and murder the rest of the enemy team. There's not much to this step.

Numbers
It's worth noting regardless of how well you play, or how built up your character, simply your presence in a fight is worthwhile. Everyone can revive, everyone can soak damage, and everyone can peel in some way. Having the numbers regardless of how well each individual plays can make up for individual skill.
  • Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 02:27:36 am by Jacca

Re: Darkfall Guide
Reply #1
Wow, really well written post that will surely help a lot of newbies in getting a grip of the intricacies of Darfkall.
Thanks for the time you spent on writing it, this community surely need more of your kind :-D

Reply #2
Very good write up, thank you for doing this I am sure this will help a lot of new players out there.

• gosti
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
Wow

• mrW
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
New player of the year - can explain things better than most vets.

"Our title system is an expansion of the titles in the same spirit than the destroyer title. These will NOT be classes and will be completely optional."

Reply #5
Melee section is completely wrong- please correct.

Melee weapon swings are not aoe's. They are pie shaped depending on the weapon arc (look it up) and hitboxes are spheres, I have no idea why you have offset them. Swinging parallel to the ground is your maximum reach, you did not gain melee reach by pointing up, I would delete the entire section.

Aoe's- you don't even mention the damage drop off on Aoe's.

If you're going to make it guide, it would be helpful to make sure you have all the correct information. Just about everything I read is incorrect but I haven't even finished. A lot of effort but fuck man, you just make things more confusing. Even your archery write up is misleading, its easier if your taller then your target with archery but you start off with "Having to look down puts you at a major disadvantage when using Archery or Bolts (unless your bolt is a miniature AoE itself)" Have you even played the fucking game?

edit 2#- I've been thinking about doing a guide for a while now, just have not had the time but you might have convinced me.

edit 3#- leveling up a skill is 'mob level+damage done' a higher damage weapon so a higher rank weapon allows you to skill up faster. I'm about ready to say "shit guide" at least have somebody that knows the game reread what you wrote.

edit 4#- your race description is a complete shit show. First off, the racials range from no biggie (alfar) to very very helpful (human's food dura and Mahirim's straff speed). I could go on................................WTF MAN? you playing the game? Jesus Christ. What a shit show guide. I was going to try and not be negative but god damn man.
  • Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 12:26:41 am by Ivar_theBoneless

Reply #6

Melee weapon swings are not aoe's. They are pie shaped depending on the weapon arc (look it up) and hitboxes are spheres, I have no idea why you have offset them. Swinging parallel to the ground is your maximum reach, you did not gain melee reach by pointing up, I would delete the entire section.

If you're going to make it guide, it would be helpful to make sure you have all the correct information. Just about everything I read is incorrect but I haven't even finished. A lot of effort but fuck man, you just make things more confusing. Even your archery write up is misleading, its easier if your taller then your target with archery but you start off with "Having to look down puts you at a major disadvantage when using Archery or Bolts (unless your bolt is a miniature AoE itself)" Have you even played the fucking game?

edit 2#- I've been thinking about doing a guide for a while now, just have not had the time but you might have convinced me.

edit 3#- leveling up a skill is 'mob level+damage done' a higher damage weapon so a higher rank weapon allows you to skill up faster. I'm about ready to say "shit guide" at least have somebody that knows the game reread what you wrote.

edit 4#- your race description is a complete shit show. First off, the racials range from no biggie (alfar) to very very helpful (human's food dura and Mahirim's straff speed). I could go on................................WTF MAN? you playing the game? Jesus Christ. What a shit show guide. I was going to try and not be negative but god damn man.

For melee. I see how you would be confused. While I mentioned "hitbox" I was more referring to the arc you described. I learned that player hitboxes were cylindrical in nature, personally, but looking up any information pertaining to Darkfall is tedious. Regardless of how you describe it, a "Cone Arc" is still an AoE (see here). The exact nature of the AoE eludes me, but if it happens to be rectangular (curved or not) swinging parallel to the ground does absolutely not net you maximum range.

For AoEs, Point taken. I'll add information on damage drop off as soon as I can figure out how severe it is.

As for Arrows, I apologize if it's incorrect, but personally I can't draw a square starting from looking straight down. That is to say Aiming Gets More Difficult If The Enemy Is Above Or Below You. There's not much more to say about this, if you look straight down and turn your mouse it doesn't change what you're looking at. Your muscle memory will get worse and worse the higher up (or down) the enemy forces you to aim. Maybe it's different for arrows. If you'd like I'll rename that section to just bolts, since they don't have gravity.

I'll add the power hour information. I was unaware damage had anything to do with it.

As for your quip about people reading what I wrote - that's the reason it's on the forums.

I'll add a link to the passives. I don't think they matter very much, but any information is good information.

As for writing a guide. Please do. It would take me longer than I've been playing the game to re-roll into melee/archer because the title system is a steaming pile of time-gating garbage, so I simply don't have the experience of playing Melee/Archer.

Most importantly. Thanks for taking the time to read and give feedback.
  • Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 02:14:40 am by Jacca

Reply #7

For melee. I see how you would be confused. While I mentioned "hitbox" I was more referring to the arc you described. I learned that player hitboxes were cylindrical in nature, personally, but looking up any information pertaining to Darkfall is tedious. Regardless of how you describe it, a "Cone Arc" is still an AoE (see here). The exact nature of the AoE eludes me, but if it happens to be rectangular (curved or not) swinging parallel to the ground does absolutely not net you maximum range.

For AoEs, Point taken. I'll add information on damage drop off as soon as I can figure out how severe it is.

As for Arrows, I apologize if it's incorrect, but personally I can't draw a square starting from looking straight down. That is to say Aiming Gets More Difficult If The Enemy Is Above Or Below You. There's not much more to say about this, if you look straight down and turn your mouse it doesn't change what you're looking at. Your muscle memory will get worse and worse the higher up (or down) the enemy forces you to aim. Maybe it's different for arrows. If you'd like I'll rename that section to just bolts, since they don't have gravity.

I'll add the power hour information. I was unaware damage had anything to do with it.

As for your quip about people reading what I wrote - that's the reason it's on the forums.

I'll add a link to the passives. I don't think they matter very much, but any information is good information.

As for writing a guide. Please do. It would take me longer than I've been playing the game to re-roll into melee/archer because the title system is a steaming pile of time-gating garbage, so I simply don't have the experience of playing Melee/Archer.

Most importantly. Thanks for taking the time to read and give feedback.

Melee swings are not a AoE. You can move as your weapon swings through its arc. That's why you can hit more than one person if you're moving , Miss players who are moving into the ark behind your swing, and why whirlwinds are stationary because they are AoEs.

"Aiming Gets More Difficult If The Enemy Is Above Or Below You" I have no idea why you think this except for the fact you have little to no experience in any type of PVP or shooting in real life. It's always easier to shoot down on a Target, that's why they call it higher ground. And that's why alfar will do something called Jump cast, to increase their angle and get a better shot.

I was referring to swinging 90° to your feet. Swinging up at an angle you're losing reach I'm not sure what the hell you're talking about there.

All this information can be found with Google which I wouldn't call tedious ( like the changes to weapon reach)

You talk like a first-year student who just took his first computer engineering class and you want to apply it to things in the game that have nothing to do with either. Why the f*** you think that I have no idea but the fact you're making the situation even more confusing and people are liking your post -I just don't get it. The goal of a guide is supposed to be clear and concise information not guess work and assumed ideas about shit you clearly have no idea what you're talking talking about

Edit- the fact that you think racial passives don't matter makes your guide feel like a troll post. +50% duration to food is apparently no biggie to somebody who has no idea how that affects things

Edit 2#- and if this comes across as hostile it's because you write s*** that I expect to read in general chat, people are going to read you're dumb s*** and repeat it thinking it's true only to find out later it's not. I can go all day long arguing with Smurf, but if we were going to talk about how game mechanics currently work there wouldn't be a disagreement.
  • Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 06:06:20 pm by Ivar_theBoneless

Reply #8
Yes there are a few errors but you could instead help him out and point him into the right direction, why not collaborate with him and make this guide top notch, this kind of information is buried deep down and only us vets mostly know about these mechanics so I would suggest you shove that ego of yours up your ass and start contributing by explaining why he is wrong and how it should be presented in the guide instead of typing passive aggressive sentences.

That is all, keep up the good work guys!

Reply #9
And then the same people come here wondering why darkfall has so few players......
The community of this game (or better, of these forums) is made up for the most part of idiots like @Ivar_theBoneless who can only insult anyone else they come across and talks like they are the only ones that know the game and/or are intelligent.
He spent a lot of time writing a nice guide for noobs and what he gets in return? An idiot splurting out useless insults....

Reply #10
Melee swings are not a AoE. You can move as your weapon swings through its arc. That's why you can hit more than one person if you're moving , Miss players who are moving into the ark behind your swing, and why whirlwinds are stationary because they are AoEs.

"Aiming Gets More Difficult If The Enemy Is Above Or Below You" I have no idea why you think this except for the fact you have little to no experience in any type of PVP or shooting in real life. It's always easier to shoot down on a Target, that's why they call it higher ground. And that's why alfar will do something called Jump cast, to increase their angle and get a better shot.

I was referring to swinging 90° to your feet. Swinging up at an angle you're losing reach I'm not sure what the hell you're talking about there.

All this information can be found with Google which I wouldn't call tedious ( like the changes to weapon reach)

You talk like a first-year student who just took his first computer engineering class and you want to apply it to things in the game that have nothing to do with either. Why the f*** you think that I have no idea but the fact you're making the situation even more confusing and people are liking your post -I just don't get it. The goal of a guide is supposed to be clear and concise information not guess work and assumed ideas about shit you clearly have no idea what you're talking talking about

Edit- the fact that you think racial passives don't matter makes your guide feel like a troll post. +50% duration to food is apparently no biggie to somebody who has no idea how that affects things

Edit 2#- and if this comes across as hostile it's because you write s*** that I expect to read in general chat, people are going to read you're dumb s*** and repeat it thinking it's true only to find out later it's not. I can go all day long arguing with Smurf, but if we were going to talk about how game mechanics currently work there wouldn't be a disagreement.

Melee is most certainly an AoE. I made you a handy flow-chart, maybe it will help.

Shooting in real life is fundamentally different. The controls are different. If I aim straight down I can still rotate left and right. That's difficult to pull off in game. That said, I don't think that paragraph is important, so I'll be removing it anyways, as far as I know the only locational damage is Front and Back, so crosshair placement isn't nearly as important as in other games.
   As for High Ground, there's more reasons than just the shooting angle as to why having the high ground is important, but I'm not really here to talk about those. And, I already have a section on the advantages of having a higher angle for shooting AoEs.

For the melee angle thing, if the hitbox on your swing arc is a box, like any shaped box, it will have edges that protrude from the top and bottom of of a circle drawn with a radius equal to the side's length of the box. allowing the player to abuse that fact and gain a small amount of extra range. Here's another poorly drawn picture. If the box is thin the range gained will be minimal (think, like, less than 1%), if the box is wide it will get a decent chunk. That said, this weekend I'll test the concept again. Maybe I was taught wrong. (I should note, I think if the box is thin enough it might not even matter, but I have problems finding any real information on stuff like that)

With 2 dead versions of the game and 2 very different versions of the game AND a dead wiki for this version in particular you think looking up information is anything but tedious? I'm not sure what to say about this, even you seem to have issues looking things up. (The Human food passive is 20%, according to the first result of Google)

Let me make something clear. Everything in here is Geometry. Basic math. You don't have to be a "computer engineer" to figure out that maybe the range on rays is less if shooting anywhere other than parallel to the ground when both you and your target is on flat ground.

Racial Differences, as I mentioned make up a very low advantage. The Human racial is interesting. According to Google it is 20% more food duration. That means I have 16.6% less food buff duration than a human. Fortunately the food lasts a god damn decade when you aren't scavenging for huckleberries and insects. I do agree the section needs looking at, but I honestly believe player skill outclasses racial passives by a significant margin.
  • Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 02:35:05 am by Jacca

Reply #11

Melee is most certainly an AoE. I made you a handy flow-chart, maybe it will help.

Shooting in real life is fundamentally different. The controls are different. If I aim straight down I can still rotate left and right. That's difficult to pull off in game. That said, I don't think that paragraph is important, so I'll be removing it anyways, as far as I know the only locational damage is Front and Back, so crosshair placement isn't nearly as important as in other games.
   As for High Ground, there's more reasons than just the shooting angle as to why having the high ground is important, but I'm not really here to talk about those. And, I already have a section on the advantages of having a higher angle for shooting AoEs.

For the melee angle thing, if the hitbox on your swing arc is a box, like any shaped box, it will have edges that protrude from the top and bottom of of a circle drawn with a radius equal to the side's length of the box. allowing the player to abuse that fact and gain a small amount of extra range. Here's another poorly drawn picture. If the box is thin the range gained will be minimal (think, like, less than 1%), if the box is wide it will get a decent chunk. That said, this weekend I'll test the concept again. Maybe I was taught wrong. (I should note, I think if the box is thin enough it might not even matter, but I have problems finding any real information on stuff like that)

With 2 dead versions of the game and 2 very different versions of the game AND a dead wiki for this version in particular you think looking up information is anything but tedious? I'm not sure what to say about this, even you seem to have issues looking things up. (The Human food passive is 20%, according to the first result of Google)

Let me make something clear. Everything in here is Geometry. Basic math. You don't have to be a "computer engineer" to figure out that maybe the range on rays is less if shooting anywhere other than parallel to the ground when both you and your target is on flat ground.

Racial Differences, as I mentioned make up a very low advantage. The Human racial is interesting. According to Google it is 20% more food duration. That means I have 16.6% less food buff duration than a human. Fortunately the food lasts a god damn decade when you aren't scavenging for huckleberries and insects. I do agree the section needs looking at, but I honestly believe player skill outclasses racial passives by a significant margin.

I wouldnt waste too much time arguing things mathematical with Ivar, some months back he went on for weeks if not months about how when you change a lens angle (fisheye it) you must also move the lens back to see what use to be out of the field of vision as 'behind' and I think still to this day doesnt grasp how fisheyeing a lens works or that things that seem 'behind' to a regular lens are really to the sides and visible when fisheyed.

Its just completely beyond him and this likely will be as well...

Reply #12
And then the same people come here wondering why darkfall has so few players......
The community of this game (or better, of these forums) is made up for the most part of idiots like @Ivar_theBoneless who can only insult anyone else they come across and talks like they are the only ones that know the game and/or are intelligent.
He spent a lot of time writing a nice guide for noobs and what he gets in return? An idiot splurting out useless insults....

@Jacca @Mycke @eyerot @dariobrun (not going to re quote the garble you wrote jacca)

Its not a guide if you are literally making shit up and 85%+ of what you post is wrong because you cant be bothered to read the patch notes. Anybody who does that deserves to be roasted alive. His come back to my first set of corrections is trying to prove me wrong and rewrite how melee & hit boxes work,? including the "weapon arc" that I mention which is one of the most important differences between weapons along with the reach?? what? (FYI @jacca AOE= the entire area is attacked at once, the melee swing in DF is called "a swing" for a reason because its a swing thru a radius, much like other games that use this mechanic. Its why you can start your swing in front of somebody in darkfall and finish your swing hitting them in the back if timed correctly and one of you is moving.)

Every post of Jacca's is wrong and he backs it up by thinking he is correcting me like his opinion on current racials , not even realizing he is linking the proposed racial changes from Ub3rgames..........Ya, it says that in the first sentence of your link Jacca if you had bothered to read it.

My final thought is yes, this community is the fucking worst, even in the guide section where game mechanics are known with @Mycke showing how bad it is. He (mycke) knows all that stuff is wrong as well, but does it say it? NO- myckey thinks that he caught me continuing a discussion from last year he felt I was wrong about. Not knowing of coarse, I had continued that conversation with Ub3games in private, which we learned that I was correct along with there are different camera angles built into the game engine, just locked in the current client. Its why you can unlock unlimited FOV scroll out with a cheat (you can google it kids), and why it will allow you to bind keys to different cameras in the UI, but they dont work ( "camera" is the in game terminology used in key binds for a fucking reason mycke). This is why you are hated @Mycke.

I write guides for my RPG all the time, and I had thought about doing a video series since I need to do one for my game and it would be nice to practice on this and not mine, but I've been waiting for Ub3rgames to patch things to a point where it wouldn't be a giant mess. And to be honest, I'm not sure its worth the work.

• Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 08:14:41 am by Ivar_theBoneless

Reply #13

@Jacca @Mycke @eyerot @dariobrun (not going to re quote the garble you wrote jacca)

Its not a guide if you are literally making shit up and 85%+ of what you post is wrong because you cant be bothered to read the patch notes. Anybody who does that deserves to be roasted alive. His come back to my first set of corrections is trying to prove me wrong and rewrite how melee & hit boxes work,? including the "weapon arc" that I mention which is one of the most important differences between weapons along with the reach?? what? (FYI @jacca AOE= the entire area is attacked at once, the melee swing in DF is called "a swing" for a reason because its a swing thru a radius, much like other games that use this mechanic. Its why you can start your swing in front of somebody in darkfall and finish your swing hitting them in the back if timed correctly and one of you is moving.)

Every post of Jacca's is wrong and he backs it up by thinking he is correcting me like his opinion on current racials , not even realizing he is linking the proposed racial changes from Ub3rgames..........Ya, it says that in the first sentence of your link Jacca if you had bothered to read it.

My final thought is yes, this community is the fucking worst, even in the guide section where game mechanics are known with @Mycke showing how bad it is. He (mycke) knows all that stuff is wrong as well, but does it say it? NO- myckey thinks that he caught me continuing a discussion from last year he felt I was wrong about. Not knowing of coarse, I had continued that conversation with Ub3games in private, which we learned that I was correct along with there are different camera angles built into the game engine, just locked in the current client. Its why you can unlock unlimited FOV scroll out with a cheat (you can google it kids), and why it will allow you to bind keys to different cameras in the UI, but they dont work ( "camera" is the in game terminology used in key binds for a fucking reason mycke). This is why you are hated @Mycke.

I write guides for my RPG all the time, and I had thought about doing a video series since I need to do one for my game and it would be nice to practice on this and not mine, but I've been waiting for Ub3rgames to patch things to a point where it wouldn't be a giant mess. And to be honest, I'm not sure its worth the work.

From a stupidly popular game's wiki: "Chain area of effect spells start their effect with a single target, but, if there is another valid target within the range of the chain, the effect will jump to that target." I'm sorry it's not in line with what you understand to be an AoE. I consider an AoE to be something which can hit multiple targets. Yes, you can walk away from them, but that's not the point.

On Racial Passives - Now you're seeing the issue with googling anything even remotely related to this game. That was the first link in google. Am I supposed to be getting my information off the Rise of Agon Wiki? From the link I posted in the previous post, their plan was to bring it from 5% up to 20%. Is it 5% or 20%? Is it 50% like RoA?? Am I supposed to dig through the patch notes for this nonsense? I searched for Food and got two results in the live patch notes, neither of which related to the passive.

I think you're wrong because you never actually give me anything to go on. "You're wrong, you're bad, you don't play the game, git gud scrub, shit guide." None of that helps me. I can't test out "do you even play this game" in game. That's not a thing. I ask for information and you regurgitate the same fucking bullshit you already said. I tried to humor you, I even thought it was kind of nice - receiving some (albeit angry) feedback from someone for once. Clearly your objective isn't to help improve this guide. Almost none of your criticism is constructive or even remotely helpful.

Whatever, the post stays and I'll try to update it to the best of my ability. Like I said -  the Archery tidbit about cross-hair placement is gone and I'm REtesting the melee stuff this weekend. Again, maybe I was taught wrong. At this point, given how you talk in the forums, I kind of doubt it though.

Reply #14
My final thought is yes, this community is the fucking worst,
And you DEFINITELY contribute a lot in making it so, with that attitude.
We need tons more people like @Jacca and tons less of people like you in this game....but sadly it looks like Darkfall attract way too many of your kind and too few of his, probably due to its full loot and harsh nature, it is just made to attract people angry with their lives that need some place to pour out their anger on someone they don't know...

Bla bla bla "i do this all the time, i could do this a lot better, my guides are well written, this is not" etc etc etc.....a lot of blattering a no proof.
If you are so good at writing guides and so much better than him or anyone else, we are all waiting to see how, for once, you can contribute with something positive for the community instead of just spitting insults AOE (just to remain on topic :-D).

Please, show us how good you are at writing them....i can't wait to cover you with random insults/attacks out of my ass after you spend some hours in trying to write down something useful---