Skip to main content

Topic: Increase of (basic) resources drop rate from mobs (Read 487 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Increase of (basic) resources drop rate from mobs
Reply #15
@pellaz  fuck you and your npc city dwelling get rich of the back of people doing hard work scheme

what does your play style bring other than tedium to others? hitting nodes afk naked and expecting other players who have grinded hard for gold  to pay top dollar for your ignots that you stood at a smelter under a tower and clicked a button.

joker
I dueled him once and was in control first half of the fight and then food buff wore out and not noticing lost, so he did win but hes by no means any better a player than I.

Reply #16
You may not have said the words, but certainly the whole point of your suggestion is to make it quicker/easier/cheaper for you to get the mats you need to progress your crafting skills, which obviously quickens progression.
Tell me what is quicker, easier and cheaper than standing around in (NPC) city range (with 2-3 alts or even more) and do "nothing", while getting the most out of it? You think that going out and risk dieing while farming mobs is quicker, easier and cheaper? Really?

I'm comparing the current speed/ease/cost of getting the mats by farming mobs against your proposed suggestion, which is to make it quicker to get the mats this way.

I disagree that gathering in town is quick or cheap, and I'd even argue against easy, simply because it doesn't suit everyone. It takes time, which you could be putting to other uses, and many (eg you) find it tedious to the point that you find it difficult to spend your game time doing it.

But it does perfectly suit some players, and even most players in clans will have occasions where it suits them to go spend 30 minutes on a gathering expedition to gather a ton of mats for the clan.

Is your next request to eliminate time in crafting because it forces you to go afk and is thus unsatisfying to you?
And is your next request to implement "Leather Nodes" or "Meat Nodes" so you can gather them the whole day semi-AFK too? Because as of now it must feel wrong for you too, that people need to move out and kill some mobs or wildlife to get Leather and Meat.

Of course not. The game is already balanced for getting these mats and this process caters to other players' play styles. In fact your suggestion would hurt these players, too, by increasing leather drops from looting mobs rather than skinning animals. Sorry if I didn't make that explicitly clear.

Now will you answer my question? I know what the answer should be if you're going to be consistent in your reasoning, and it should tell you something if you accept semi afk in crafting but not gathering. So if you're ok with it in crafting, why?

And what about skinning? Do you think they should do away with it? It's just an extra step and time to get goods from a mob you killed, after all. But I'd argue it was split into this extra step specifically knowing not everyone is bothered with skinning, which makes this something that rewards yet another play style.

It gives them a rewarding way to interact with the game when [...]
Wrong. They don't interact with the game, except from moving their alts to the next node(s) or go bank. And they are rewarded most for doing so.

Wrong. It's clearly interacting. Just because you can't see how this play style has it's place, doesn't mean it doesn't or is 'wrong'.

I'd argue EVE Online is the healthiest, longest running pvp mmorpg, and this play style is part of what makes it a successful game. It caters towards different play styles, allowing a larger player base, and requires them all to support one another.

Darkfall has the same base ideas and the primary method of gathering many crafting mats is based on this.

So be active, hunt mobs, earn gold, and just buy the materials you need.
Ok, lets do some math:
For leveling Weaponsmithing from 75 to 100 in a Power Hour, I need approximately 3.600 Iron Ingots, which equals 9.000 Iron Ore. To buy 9.000 Iron Ore I pay an average of 30g / each at the Markets, because some people are selling 1.000 for 15g, some 400 for 16g, some 300 for 19g, some 400 for 25g, etc. Same for Iron Ingots.
Thats approximately 270.000g I need to spend (or better "waste") just to craft a bunch of R30 weapons, only to throw them away afterwards or sell them at an NPC for maybe 3.000g.
It seems you are smart, so please tell me what mobs I can farm solo, which give me 270.000g in a reasonable amount of time. Serious question.

Maybe we've reached the crux of the matter?

I'd be shocked and disappointed if you could. That'd just be the equivalent of implementing your suggestion. But I realise I was wrong to suggest you should just get the gold to level your craft. You're right, it's not practical for you.

But tell me why you think you should be able to level weaponsmithing and shieldcrafting if you want to do it just by fighting mobs?

Do you likewise feel the game should cater to a player who just wants to focus on crafting and asks the devs to bring in tab targeting to make pvp and fighting mobs easier for him because he'd like some of that, too?

If you want to craft solo and by farming mobs, you can do this with other crafts. Tailoring and alchemy come to mind. You've simply chosen the wrong crafts to level if you want to do it by mob drops.

I forced to wonder, did you choose these specific crafts because you want to craft the items for yourself to be self sufficient? That's entirely the wrong reason to level a craft. Just buy the items as you need them.

But you certainly can't and shouldn't expect to be self reliant, and that's what your request would be moving the game towards.
No. My request moves the game towards the idea, that active playing should be more rewarding than standing around semi-AFK and doing nothing the whole day. Or at least it should be equal.

Then do it. And give up trying to level those two crafts, maybe choosing another, because they don't suit your solo play style. Edit: scratch that. While it's possible to increase alchemy and tailoring at the low ends using just mats you loot, I have no idea about the higher levels. At the end of the day, crafting relies on gathering, whether clans doing a bit of speedy gathering in a group to provide to their crafters, or solo gatherers selling on the market. I think this is a good thing and doesn't need further tweaking then the bit that's already been handed out,in the recent patch.

Anyway, I expect we've had enough back and forth and should agree we disagree on your suggestion.
  • Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 10:59:52 am by pellaz
Did you know you can ignore toxic posters, stopping the forum from showing you the text of their posts? Starving trolls eventually move on. Please don't feed the trolls.

Reply #17
The best solution would be to actually make gathering a more active/fun process than just looking at a bar.
Something like minigames you have to complete to get better/faster resources.

It would make AFK gathering less efficent (thus reducing the effectiveness/utility of having alts), active gathering more efficent (thus promoting active gameplay for gahterers) while still keeping different ways to gather your resources to cather to different playstiles.

Reply #18
@pellaz You are completely off the track, it seems.

You promote that an AFK-activity, you can best do with multiple characters ("Altfall"), should be the most rewarding activity available in game, when it comes to gathering basic resources like Iron Ore or Timber. You say it should be so, because it "fits the playstyle of certain players" and changing that would "hurt" them.

You say, that AFK-mining is "more difficult" than actively playing the game, because it "doesn't suite everyone." And that it should be more rewarding, than going out, actively playing the game and risk getting jumped and killed and lose the progress of an hour worth of farming.

To sum it up, you basically promote that a jobless and lazy person, who only moves between the couch, the fridge and the toilet, should get more money and privileges, than somebody going out to work 8-10 hours everyday. Thats really something.

And give up trying to level those two crafts, maybe choosing another, because they don't suit your solo play style.
Allow me to quote you:
The whole point of a sandbox game like Darkfall is that it satisfies different playstyles.
So instead of following your own logic and understand that it is necessary to increase drop chances of basic materials from mobs to a level where it is equal or even sligthly better than solo AFK-mining to "satisfy different playstyles", you suggest that I quit trying to level my crafts, because the "sandbox game Darkfall" does not "satisfy my playstyle." Really?

You don't even recognize or understand that the amount of materials drop does not scale. So even if you push a spawn to level 2 or 3 with alts, it still drops the same amount, because as Ub3r said: The mob only has one weapon, so it is not influenced by scaling.
While at the same time, you can double or tripple the income of AFK-mining with 2-3 alts ("Altfall"), even if they'd increase the drop chance from mobs. Doesn't make much sense, does it?

Anyway, I expect we've had enough back and forth and should agree we disagree on your suggestion.
Who is "we"? You are the only guy here disagreeing so far, using ridiculous arguments.

Reply #19
The best solution would be to actually make gathering a more active/fun process than just looking at a bar.
Something like minigames you have to complete to get better/faster resources.

It would make AFK gathering less efficent (thus reducing the effectiveness/utility of having alts), active gathering more efficent (thus promoting active gameplay for gahterers) while still keeping different ways to gather your resources to cather to different playstiles.

I could sign up for that. But it'd need to carefully balance the increased gains from performing the mini game with level of interaction required. So people running from point to point while doing some study should be ok to loot the old way, while someone who's able to play the mini game should get a huge boost in return. It'd need to require skill and concentration; it shouldn't be mindless or able to be macrod.

Probably the biggest barrier to this happening is that i think it'd be a significant amount of work to develop. Especially to hit the right balance. So I don't think we'll see this anytime soon when there are plenty of other fish for the devs to fry.
Did you know you can ignore toxic posters, stopping the forum from showing you the text of their posts? Starving trolls eventually move on. Please don't feed the trolls.

Reply #20
@pellaz You are completely off the track, it seems.

You promote that an AFK-activity, you can best do with multiple characters ("Altfall"), should be the most rewarding activity available in game,

No, I'm not. And no, I don't.

We're going around in circles. I don't see it your way and you don't see it mine. Fair enough and happy gaming. But my feedback is still that your suggestion is bad for the game and I hope @Ub3rgames does not increase the drop rate of those items.

Reply #21
Yes, you are.
No, it's not wrong.  Clearly you're not interested in the gathering aspect, but many people are. It gives them a rewarding way to interact with the game when they're reading a book, chatting on discord, or doing something else that they can pull away from now and again to manage the gathering.
Or to say it with your own words: "You may not have said the words, but certainly the whole point of your suggestion is ... don't touch the acquisition of basic resources at all, to not hurt the AFK-miners."

It'd need to require skill and concentration; it shouldn't be mindless or able to be macrod.
You mean "skill" and "concentration" as in actively playing the game, like farming mobs? And "shouldn't be mindless" as in not standing around semi-AFK the whole day?

We're going around in circles. I don't see it your way and you don't see it mine.
Yes, because you think I want to remove something from the game, but instead I want to add value to it by giving people choices and options to account for different playstyles and situations.

I suggested that the drop chances of basic materials should be increased, to make it more rewarding to be at least on the same level as AFK-mining, or maybe slightly better.
But all you say is "Nay nay nay nay nay, don't hurt the AFK-miners, don't increase drop chances, farming mobs should be unrewarding, AFK-mining should be most rewarding, ..."
  • Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 06:38:40 pm by nuclearping

Reply #22
Yes, you are.
No, it's not wrong.  Clearly you're not interested in the gathering aspect, but many people are. It gives them a rewarding way to interact with the game when they're reading a book, chatting on discord, or doing something else that they can pull away from now and again to manage the gathering.
Or to say it with your own words: "You may not have said the words, but certainly the whole point of your suggestion is ... don't touch the acquisition of basic resources at all, to not hurt the AFK-miners."

It'd need to require skill and concentration; it shouldn't be mindless or able to be macrod.
You mean "skill" and "concentration" as in actively playing the game, like farming mobs? And "shouldn't be mindless" as in not standing around semi-AFK the whole day?

We're going around in circles. I don't see it your way and you don't see it mine.
Yes, because you think I want to remove something from the game, but instead I want to add value to it by giving people choices and options to account for different playstyles and situations.

I suggested that the drop chances of basic materials should be increased, to make it more rewarding to be at least on the same level as AFK-mining, or maybe slightly better.
But all you say is "Nay nay nay nay nay, don't hurt the AFK-miners, don't increase drop chances, farming mobs should be unrewarding, AFK-mining should be most rewarding, ..."

And still I disagree with your reasoning and think your suggestion is bad for the game, but there's no reason to respond to your points because it's clear we see this quite differently.
  • Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 07:32:52 pm by pellaz

Reply #23
And still I disagree with your reasoning and think your suggestion is bad for the game,
Of course. Suggestions to increase game activity and more things for people to do is bad for the game. Promoting AFK-mining is good for the game. Ladies and gentlemen, please pay attention to this special type of retard.

Reply #24
And still I disagree with your reasoning and think your suggestion is bad for the game,
Of course. Suggestions to increase game activity and more things for people to do is bad for the game. Promoting AFK-mining is good for the game. Ladies and gentlemen, please pay attention to this special type of retard.

Yawn.