Skip to main content

Topic: Increase of (basic) resources drop rate from mobs (Read 491 times) previous topic - next topic

Increase of (basic) resources drop rate from mobs
The new loot changes are great additions. But still, I think they are a bit underwhelming and unrewarding.

I'd like to see an increase in rate for mobs dropping (basic) weapon / shield / armor resources.

For instance, I want to level Weaponsmithing and later on Shieldcrafting. I'm a solo player and not backed by a Clan, so I don't have much choices. Either semi-AFK mining with 2 chars ("Altfall") or spending several 100k to buy resources at the market, only to "throw" the weapons away after crafting. Not going to happen. And yes I know, I could also simply buy more alts ... ;)

So as an alternative to semi-AFK mining, I tried farming a spawn of 7 Gray Orks some days ago. According to the map info, they drop 2-15 Iron Ingots at a 10% chance. With the tweaks to the spawn timers I had almost no downtime, however after ~1 hour farming I only had 99 Iron Ingots. Thats 248 Iron Ore, an amount you could get in less than 10 minutes mining with two chars.

It feels like the drop chance for those Iron Ingots could be upped to 20-30%. That would be ~200-250 Iron Ingots after 1 hour. Still less than you could get from mining, but still way more rewarding.

I think increasing the drop rates for (basic) resources also increases the amount of people going out and farm more. It will increase activity, because it gives people alternatives and options. What do you think?

Re: Increase of (basic) resources drop rate from mobs
Reply #1
100% agree! Might be very Careful about rare ingots and rare loot from mobs like sentinels etc thou. Right now its useless from most mobs as you Said...

Reply #2
Yes. I agree with rares. They should mainly increase just the basic resources like Iron Ingots and Wood.

Reply #3
But if they buff it so that it basically is same as gathering, no one will ever need to gather again since you can both skill/stats AND gather all mats while pveing.

Reply #4
u can buff wood but not iron because i have 30k ingots in bank and i want to sell them at a higher price

Reply #5
But if they buff it so that it basically is same as gathering, no one will ever need to gather again since you can both skill/stats AND gather all mats while pveing.
Whats wrong with that?

For instance there is no "Leather Node." To gain Leather, you need to PvE. According to your logic, they should implement "Leather Nodes", so you can semi-AFK gather Leather, instead of PvE'ing? I don't think so. ;) Also for certain herbs it is already better to kill specifc mobs than harvesting bushes.

Even if they increase basic resource drops chance by 2x, gathering would still be better, but very boring and uneventful. I'd even go that far to say that they might increase PvE basic resource chance (Iron Ingot, Wood, ...) so that it is actually better than gathering. Doing something actively should be more rewarding, than standing around semi-AFK doing the "tack, tack, tack, ..." Don't you think so? In the end everything depends on the amount of alts you have. Gather with 2-3-4 chars will always be more rewarding than basic resource drops from PvE, which don't scale.

Besides that you'd still need to gather for Rares.

• mrW
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
scaling has to be disabled on raw resources first

"Our title system is an expansion of the titles in the same spirit than the destroyer title. These will NOT be classes and will be completely optional."

Reply #7
The current rates seem okay to me nothing special, but a nice little boost to resources as you farm to cover some of gear usage.

Reply #8
@mrW scaling is disabled on the auto salvage implementation. Which is the only thing we are talking about. Definately don't increase the wood/timber on oak lords or leather from crogs/manscorpions.
Side note: I would suggest increasing the stone/iron from golems (making them useful again @Ub3rgames )

Reply #9
The current rates seem okay to me nothing special, but a nice little boost to resources as you farm to cover some of gear usage.
yeah listen to this guy he died to battlespikes LOL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1blK-lG96U
dodgy bastard

Reply #10
I disagree with increasing drop rates of wood, iron ingots and other crafting ingredients that would normally need to be processed by a player from raw resources. It's a hit on the players who have titled into labourer and are trying to market the goods. It's more hurt on what should be an important element of the player-driven economy.

I think the drop rate is good enough for a reasonable progression. You shouldn't be able to get enough resources just through drops if you're wanting to level a craft in a week or two. If you want quick progression, join a guild or put up the gold.
  • Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 09:04:30 pm by pellaz
Did you know you can ignore toxic posters, stopping the forum from showing you the text of their posts? Starving trolls eventually move on. Please don't feed the trolls.

Reply #11
fuck people who want to be rich from afk game play

more resources from actually killing mobs is a good idea
I dueled him once and was in control first half of the fight and then food buff wore out and not noticing lost, so he did win but hes by no means any better a player than I.

Reply #12
I disagree with increasing drop rates of wood, iron ingots and other crafting ingredients that would normally need to be processed by a player from raw resources. It's a hit on the players who have titled into labourer and are trying to market the goods. It's more hurt on what should be an important element of the player-driven economy.
I have Laborer title and still think it is fundamentally wrong that the most effective way to gather resources is harvesting nodes semi-AFK the whole day, especially with alts, instead of actively playing the game.

If you want quick progression, join a guild or put up the gold.
Nobody said anything about "quick progression." I said that compared to semi-AFK mining, actively playing the game yields an underwhelming reward. I can get between 1.000 and 1.500 Iron Ore from 1 hour of semi-AFK mining nodes with a single char. Compared to the 100 Iron Ingots I got from 1 hour actively farming mobs with the highest yield. This is extremely unsatisfying and as said before, simply wrong.

Actively playing the game should reward you most. Not standing around and literally doing nothing.

Reply #13
Nobody said anything about "quick progression."

You may not have said the words, but certainly the whole point of your suggestion is to make it quicker/easier/cheaper for you to get the mats you need to progress your crafting skills, which obviously quickens progression.

I said that compared to semi-AFK mining, actively playing the game yields an underwhelming reward. I can get between 1.000 and 1.500 Iron Ore from 1 hour of semi-AFK mining nodes with a single char. Compared to the 100 Iron Ingots I got from 1 hour actively farming mobs with the highest yield. This is extremely unsatisfying and as said before, simply wrong.

No, it's not wrong.  Clearly you're not interested in the gathering aspect, but many people are. It gives them a rewarding way to interact with the game when they're reading a book, chatting on discord, or doing something else that they can pull away from now and again to manage the gathering. They can then either sell it raw, process it for sale, or use it for themselves or their clan. Just because this particular mechanic doesn't interest you doesn't make it wrong.

Is your next request to eliminate time in crafting because it forces you to go afk and is thus unsatisfying to you?

Actively playing the game should reward you most. Not standing around and literally doing nothing.

Again, it's not right for you. So be active, hunt mobs, earn gold, and just buy the materials you need.

The whole point of a sandbox game like Darkfall is that it satisfies different playstyles. A key part of this is that players need one another, whether it's to fight against; supply reagents or crafting mats; or even supply end product goods themselves. It's why Darkfall has full loot and item decay. Yes, you can play solo; it's a sandbox game, after all. But you certainly can't and shouldn't expect to be entirely self sufficient, and that's what your request would be moving the game towards.
  • Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 01:06:49 am by pellaz
Did you know you can ignore toxic posters, stopping the forum from showing you the text of their posts? Starving trolls eventually move on. Please don't feed the trolls.

Reply #14
You may not have said the words, but certainly the whole point of your suggestion is to make it quicker/easier/cheaper for you to get the mats you need to progress your crafting skills, which obviously quickens progression.
Tell me what is quicker, easier and cheaper than standing around in (NPC) city range (with 2-3 alts or even more) and do "nothing", while getting the most out of it? You think that going out and risk dieing while farming mobs is quicker, easier and cheaper? Really?

Is your next request to eliminate time in crafting because it forces you to go afk and is thus unsatisfying to you?
And is your next request to implement "Leather Nodes" or "Meat Nodes" so you can gather them the whole day semi-AFK too? Because as of now it must feel wrong for you too, that people need to move out and kill some mobs or wildlife to get Leather and Meat.

It gives them a rewarding way to interact with the game when [...]
Wrong. They don't interact with the game, except from moving their alts to the next node(s) or go bank. And they are rewarded most for doing so.

So be active, hunt mobs, earn gold, and just buy the materials you need.
Ok, lets do some math:
For leveling Weaponsmithing from 75 to 100 in a Power Hour, I need approximately 3.600 Iron Ingots, which equals 9.000 Iron Ore. To buy 9.000 Iron Ore I pay an average of 30g / each at the Markets, because some people are selling 1.000 for 15g, some 400 for 16g, some 300 for 19g, some 400 for 25g, etc. Same for Iron Ingots.
Thats approximately 270.000g I need to spend (or better "waste") just to craft a bunch of R30 weapons, only to throw them away afterwards or sell them at an NPC for maybe 3.000g.
It seems you are smart, so please tell me what mobs I can farm solo, which give me 270.000g in a reasonable amount of time. Serious question.

But you certainly can't and shouldn't expect to be self reliant, and that's what your request would be moving the game towards.
No. My request moves the game towards the idea, that active playing should be more rewarding than standing around semi-AFK and doing nothing the whole day. Or at least it should be equal.