Skip to main content

Topic: Clan drops holding, members lose everything in the bank in that holding. (Read 2491 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Clan drops holding, members lose everything in the bank in that holding.
Reply #30
LB is a fail mechanic. It focuses on the dream of the wolves and omits the convenience of the sheep. And so does most of the people here, the remaining sheep take devs as their shepherd and say yes to everything. Also too much focus on mechanics against exploits. The later is a vicious circle where you can go to lengths to make it secure, but you end up with results that no one enjoys.

I never met anyone who truly wanted to transport goods and manage their banks. Some people claim they do like LB, but when you offer them goods at way lower price at a different location, first you can hear their joy, but once they get to do the trip, they give you some excuse to not take it. Some people you can't even make to take your free stuff half the map away.

Too late to scrap it though. In the end, devs will blame the old player base and toxic vets for the failure, and the players will blame the devs for incompetency. And there is no new thing under the sun.

Indev without titles, LB and re-spawn mechanic was more fun. Essentially now it's the same, you fight the same people over and over, nothing changed, but the size of forces and level of tedium rose by 2-3 times.

Reply #31
LB is an organic concept. It is a natural conclusion. Problem is that most people playing the game now, played the original games before. So they are simply pampered and effeminated. They are so used to GB and hate to give up their comfort and security. Really new players don't mind, because they simply don't know the difference.

If you played other games like UO, MO, EVE, etc. there is no concept of GB either. Everything is LB.
Also survival games like Ark, Rust, DayZ, ... have local storage. And unlike Darkfall, if your base ("holding") gets raided, you lose everything, including your "bank".

There are quite some design flaws, as we can see here, yes. But stop blaming the devs for your inability to let go and adapt to new concepts. "Vets" pretend to be part of a "hardcore" game, but yet complain about every inconvenience.
  • Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 04:00:59 pm by HarvestR

Reply #32
LB is an organic concept. It is a natural conclusion. Problem is that most people playing the game now, played the original games before. So they are simply pampered and effeminated. They are so used to GB and hate to give up their comfort and security. Really new players don't mind, because they simply don't know the difference.

If you played other games like UO, MO, EVE, etc. there is no concept of GB either. Everything is LB.
Also survival games like Ark, Rust, DayZ, ... have local storage. And unlike Darkfall, if your base ("holding") gets raided, you lose everything, including your "bank".

There are quite some design flaws, as we can see here, yes. But stop blaming the devs for your inability to let go and adapt to new concepts. "Vets" pretend to be part of a "hardcore" game, but yet complain about every inconvienence.
Finally a good post from this poster. Hard to believe it but it's possible. And I'm not necessary talking about him being pro LB or anti LB but rather about him reasoning and actually explaining his point of view. I'd like more posts like this.

Reply #33
new players
myth

Not even uber denies that, look at their promo again, who was it made for?
  • Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 04:35:03 pm by UmberLee

Reply #34

The MMOs that you listed are dying, because their playbase is also dying. Noone under the age of 40 wants to RP a travelling merchant or be a dedicated cook.

In Games like Rust ect, you can get your bank back in a day, and you dont need 10 alts to do it.
Dont need to travel map for localised resources.
Dont need some faggot dedicated crafter.
Dont have to WOS everytime you die 2min away from your holding.
I dueled him once and was in control first half of the fight and then food buff wore out and not noticing lost, so he did win but hes by no means any better a player than I.

Reply #35
The MMOs that you listed are dying, because their playbase is also dying.
UO is dying? I think the hundrets of populated freeshards disagree.
MO is more niche than DF but still has a steady ~200-300 players base since years.
EVE is dying aswell? 40k players is "dead game" for you too?

In Games like Rust ect, you can get your bank back in a day, and you dont need 10 alts to do it.
Not really. If you got your whole base leveled and looted, you won't rebuild and regather all in "one day" unless you play with a big clan. And even then it will still take you quite some time (days), given you don't get raided again in the process. And you still have to have a lot of Furnaces to smelt all the ore and several crafters.

Dont need to travel map for localised resources.
Wrong. Ark and Rust have localized resources in different biomes.

Dont need some faggot dedicated crafter.
Wrong. Ark has a max character level and you need to choose a path, otherwise you won't be able to unlock required Engrams to craft stuff you need towards the "end game". Also in Rust you need several crafters if you want to create base modules and gear efficiently in a reasonable amount of time.

Dont have to WOS everytime you die 2min away from your holding.
Wrong. Unless you have a Sleeping bag (which can be destroyed or are one-time use (ARK)) or a bed (ARK, but can be destroyed too) you spawn at some random location in the world and have to do the WOS, given you know the way back to your base. Or you get lost and most likely die again. Also sleeping bags / beds have a cooldown. So if you die more than once in 5 minutes, you have to WOS too.

Reply #36

Ultima Online never had local banking, every bank was linked each other from the start to now and on every continent or even felucca/tramel.
For official servers.

It has Recall on rune marked at place of your choice, it has Gate travelling with same rune for group to fast travel, it has a large systeme of fixed Gate for almost every town (like portal chamber...) without even use a single composent. And guess what ? some of those Gate become pvp hotspot, like Yew gate where i spended a shitton of hours with friend just doing PK/PVP/Faction...

In other words UO had fast traveling system and it worked great.

Stop saying bullshit, i dont know for other game but i played UO for a very long time from alpha.

Also there was, after the first era, a form of insurance for your stuff you really wont loose and gold could be changed in check that was blessed and never drop even without insurance...you just dont know what you talk about.

In fact : every game but EvE has failed to the local banking road and none really work. The local banking system is an utopia but will never work perfectly if you dont have the EvE players numbers. Even in real world we dont have local banking....

About ARK or Rust, i dont even know why you mention those game since they are not MMO, could be wiped after a major update or a bug abuse or anything else...
  • Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 09:09:04 pm by Zoran_Styx

Reply #37
To end this bullshit local banking dream :

The conflicts in DFO should be lead by the hamlet/city location not only on some wolf eat sheep while transfering stuff from bank to bank.

Its stupid and will just lead the players to leave the game.

Loosing an hamlet/city is what drive the war btw clan and want you to take it back.
Loosing a full bank because you are stuck somewhere is just a big let down, nothing else...

And dont come with the racial war things...its to late, ppl have leave and most of them wont come back.

Reply #38
Ultima Online never had local banking, [...]
You are right. I forgot about that. It is decades ago I last played UO.

In fact : every game but EvE has failed to the local banking
If you didn't play the other games, how do you know they failed local banking?

MO, for instance, simply doesn't support more players without everyone rubber banding all over the place and has its own design problems, which made it even more niche than Darkfall. But LB was surely not the problem keeping it from getting big. That said, it is still alive and still getting regular updates.

Or take Albion Online: Local Banking and has ~4000 active players daily, according to their devs statements.

I don't think that LB is the cause for the decline in players in DND. Complete lack of Fast Travel (not Instant Travel) options is most likely a major reason though.

Even in real world we dont have local banking
Oh really, do we? I mean I know money isn't "local." But you say if I put a suitcase in a locker at a train station, I can pick it up at a different train station 500km away? I don't use lockers much, but I definately didn't know that. They must have invented some teleportation mechanics in the meantime.
Think they must use the same teleportation mechanics on airports too. I deploy a suitcase at the counter, fly 2-3 hours and can pick it up at the destination. Impressive.

About ARK or Rust, i dont even know why you mention those game since they are not MMO
Doesn't matter if they are MMO or not. They are popular survival games with the same features like Darkfall: Open World, Full Loot, PvP / PvE, Gathering, Crafting, Clan / Territory control, Holdings / Bases, etc. They are even more "hardcore" than Darkfall, because you still stay in the world even after logging out.
  • Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 11:23:26 pm by HarvestR

Reply #39
Guys defending local banking and bad mechanics like this bank losing that will eventually drive off a significant amount of players, please shut up. We all know you'd be first to cry and probably quit if you lost your holding and if it worked that you lose all your gear in there. So no, you are most likely not local banking supporter but troll shaman hugger.

And yes, this game in current format is epic local banking fail all around. Even EvE the most tedious local banking / transfer before New Dawn is not even close as bad as this. Literally only 1 and VERY WEAK mechanic supporting the localized banking format: 300-1000kg mount inventories.
  • Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 11:51:43 pm by freakd

Reply #40
[...] this bank losing [...] that you lose all your gear in there.
Except that you don't really lose all your stuff in there, you are just blocked out.

Other than that, it has already been commonly agreed on in this thread that this is an obvious design flaw and should be fixed. @Ub3rgames

Reply #41
Literally only 1 and VERY WEAK mechanic supporting the localized banking format: 300-1000kg mount inventories.

Tell me about it.  There's no way in hell that they should have implemented 99% local banking without at least the following:
1.  Faster travel on roads
2.  Multi-passenger land vehicles/mounts
3.  Fast individual boats
4.  The ability to place full gear bags on markets
5.  Delivery contracts
6.  A fuck load more players

Reply #42
Except that you don't really lose all your stuff in there, you are just blocked out.

Other than that, it has already been commonly agreed on in this thread that this is an obvious design flaw and should be fixed. @Ub3rgames

But why block us out?  Is there any good reason for the bank in an abandoned holding to disappear right away?

Reply #43
It is termporary, for a week, to prevent clans from teleport all their shit across the map by abandoning a holding.

If your leaders were so incompetent that they let a holding go without warning you, then maybe you need new leaders?

Reply #44

But why block us out?  Is there any good reason for the bank in an abandoned holding to disappear right away?

So are you suggesting the local bank at a holding should stay up for some amount of time after being dropped?

Im not sure ive seen this suggestion before but maybe its worth considering.