Skip to main content

Topic: Resolution and text size (Read 336 times) previous topic - next topic

Resolution and text size
Hi all,

I just subscribed yesterday and am experiencing the exact same issue reported in this thread: the text size was much too big on my 5120 x 2880 monitor.

I've tried the trick of setting Windows UI scaling to 100% and after quite a bit of fiddling (trying Windows with a lower res, adjusting scaling, etc), I eventually got it working ok; but I was left having to swap the scaling down to 100% when running Darkfall and back to 225% or so when not playing the game. A bit of an annoyance, but at least seemed to be working ok last night.

But this morning I forgot to change the scaling back to 100% before signing in and of course the text was entirely messed up. I logged back out, set scaling down to 100% and signed in, but font size was still messed up. I was just trying to squeeze a quick few minutes in to check meditiation before heading off to work, so didn't have more time to troubleshoot.

I'll try again tonight and hopefully I just missed something in the rush this morning, but does anyone know how to consistently get the text sized properly on a 5120 x 2880 monitor? I think I had the game running at 2560 x 1440 last night, which seemed a good setting for me.

I had a great couple of hours playing last night when I had the font sized right (after the initial 15-20 minute struggle to get it so), but I can't see myself renewing my sub if this continues to be a struggle.

Can this please be added to the 'known' bugs list at the top so it's flagged to be worked on?

Edit: Well, I don't know if I'm crazy or what, but it seems to work ok now... I'm sure I have it set to the same options that caused the fonts to be too large, but it's ok right now. I'm confused, but at least things are looking good now!

Edit: Scratch that. I played a couple of hours perfectly fine last night, shutdown the PC, turned it on today, logged straight in and the font is back to being twice the size it should be. I've spent almost 30 minutes now playing with different settings (screen res = game res, 100% scaling; screen res = 2x game res, 100% and 200% scaling; etc) and every time the font is just too big. I've tried the 'override DPI scaling' settings, but no go. If anyone has any suggestions, please run them by.

Edit: After much fussing, I won the lottery and when I logged in last the font was sized properly. This time I had windows set to 2560x1440, the game the same, scaling at 100% (which I had tried earlier). Had about 10 minutes of play and was in goblin shaman village before I was disconnected and can't log back in (first few attempts seemed to progress, before disconnected; last few I'm stuck at launcher patching failed, will try again in a few minutes).  Sigh. Guess I'll be coming back to a tombstone.
  • Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 07:14:22 pm by pellaz
Did you know you can ignore toxic posters, stopping the forum from showing you the text of their posts? Starving trolls eventually move on. Please don't feed the trolls.

Re: Resolution and text size
Reply #1
A friend just found this and pointed me to it. Sounds like the 'Tell Windows not to scale an app that's not DPI-aware' section might be the trick needed. I'll give it a try tonight and report back here.

Assuming it works, perhaps the installer can be adjusted to set this going forward.
Did you know you can ignore toxic posters, stopping the forum from showing you the text of their posts? Starving trolls eventually move on. Please don't feed the trolls.

Reply #2
Good luck! Hope it works!

@Ub3rgames this guy needs help.
I dueled him once and was in control first half of the fight and then food buff wore out and not noticing lost, so he did win but hes by no means any better a player than I.

Reply #3
Well, I don't know if I'm crazy or what, but it seems to work ok now... I'm sure I have it set to the same options that caused the fonts to be too large, but it's ok right now. I'm confused, but at least things are looking good now!

Reply #4
Scratch that. I played a couple of hours perfectly fine last night, shutdown the PC, turned it on today, logged straight in and the font is back to being twice the size it should be. I've spent almost 30 minutes now playing with different settings (screen res = game res, 100% scaling; screen res = 2x game res, 100% and 200% scaling; etc) and every time the font is just too big. I've tried the 'override DPI scaling' settings, but no go. If anyone has any suggestions, please run them by.

Reply #5
After much fussing, I won the lottery and when I logged in last the font was sized properly. This time I had windows set to 2560x1440, the game the same, scaling at 100% (which I had tried earlier). Had about 10 minutes of play and was in goblin shaman village before I was disconnected and can't log back in (first few attempts seemed to progress, before disconnected; last few I'm stuck at launcher patching failed, will try again in a few minutes).  Sigh. Guess I'll be coming back to a tombstone.

Reply #6
damn bro you seem to be having no luck! hope it gets working.
I dueled him once and was in control first half of the fight and then food buff wore out and not noticing lost, so he did win but hes by no means any better a player than I.

Reply #7
Well, I've been lucky; I haven't had a recurrence of the issue in the past few days.

I haven't touched my display settings at all, so hopefully it won't recur. But clearly something's a bit off here and a bit of acknowledgment from the devs that they're aware of the issue and have fixed or will fix it would be good. If I hadn't *really* wanted to play, I would've given up on it.

Reply #8
BUMP any progression with this issue?

Reply #9
In the end, I permanently lowered the resolution in Windows to the resolution I was using in game (2560 × 1440, from 5120 x 2880) and set the Windows scaling option to 100%. Not very useful if you want to leave Windows at a higher resolution, but it's the only way I could find to avoid the font size issue.
  • Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 04:05:27 pm by pellaz