Skip to main content

Topic: AMD vs. INTEL for DND ? (Read 444 times) previous topic - next topic

AMD vs. INTEL for DND ?
i'm getting ready to build a new rig, mine is old and starting to suffer in game and i'm wondering how AMD is working for darkfall these days.

i switched to intel a few years ago because the single core performance was far better than amd but amd is sooo much cheaper i would rather go that route if i don't suffer FPS wise.

anyone thats using AMD  let me know what you have and the average fps you get especially in cities or when there are  alot of players around .

Re: AMD vs. INTEL for DND ?
Reply #1

Reply #2
None of the tested games is Darkfall, but you can still check this out:
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_5_2600X/12.html

Note: I linked the low resolution gaming test as it is a better show of CPU's affect on game performance (as GPU is rarely/never the limiter of low reso FPS)
  • Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 04:13:17 pm by Wyverex
Wyverex Erisian, SG of Scrubs

Still a member of SaltyBitches™ Club

Reply #3
For Darkfall, single core speed is king. So go with whatever gives you the fastest clock speed.

Reply #4
If that was the case, Bulldozer CPUs would have been good for DF, but they were and are not.

It's both IPC (instructions per clock) and frequency that matters. And since Darkfall can't use more than 1 core effectively, go for highest single-threaded performance.
Last few generations, that's been Intel, especially once the CPU was overclocked.
Wyverex Erisian, SG of Scrubs

Still a member of SaltyBitches™ Club

Reply #5
intel 8100 is almost certainly fine for df and like $120

Reply #6
If you want maximum performance in Darkfall the 8700K OC to 4.5 - 5.0 would be your best bet.  That CPU would be your best bet for a gaming PC in general.  Intel is still king in that regard.  That said the Ryzen lineup of CPUs is a great all round CPU that you may see better performance with over time as more and more games begin using more cores / threads.  The new 2700K from AMD is a beast of a CPU and far cheaper than any Intel offer with similar specs. 

---------------------------

Don't focus your build around a dying game.  Build something to future proof yourself. 

-------------------

With my first gen Ryzen 1800x on an ultrawide 3440 x 1440 display + GTX 1080 Ti I hovered at anywhere from 70 - 300 FPS while in Darkfall.  On a lower resolution you'll see better results.  There is little reason not to go with a Ryzen CPU considering this version 2.0 of the first gen Ryzen chips are better than the previous.

Reply #7
thanks for the info.  i'm leaning towards the ryzen and was curious if anyone was using that in this game and their results.

Reply #8
Intel has vastly better single thread performance its far better for both Darkfall AND every other game I would want to play

It's not even close when you factor in overclocking (which you should)

6 cores 12 threads at higher IPC/ frequency trumps 8 core 16 thread at lower all day long for gaming and streaming

You either buy the 8700k now OR wait until June to get the 8086k which has EVEN HIGHER clockspeeds

14nm Coffee Lake-S architecture with LGA 1151 socket
6 Cores / 12 Threads
Base / Boost of 4.00GHz / 5.10 GHz, Unlocked
L3 cache size: 12MB
On board graphics: UHD630
95W TDP

Also by June we will probably know about the new Intel 8 core 16 thread CPU that can OC past 5ghz which will straight up rape everything AMD has in regards to gaming/ streaming/ recording both now and in the future

Basically almost no games in the next 5+ years will get a noticeable improvement going past 6 core/12 threads anyway don't give up IPC/frequency for more cores and fuck yourself by thinking games will suddenly start using let alone needing 8 cores

Some people have been saying that shit for years yet every game i like is STILL heavily single/ duo core based and my OC I7 2600k @ 4.8ghz 4 core 8 thread cpu from 2011 is STILL beating the AMD 1700x and 1800x oc to 3.9ghz (best they can generally do oc wise) single threaded performance

The Ryzen 2700x improves latency and overclocks some and isn't BAD. But it's NOT as good as the 8700k (or even the 8600k although you should !NOT buy the 8600k due to no HT) now nor is it more future proof than the 8700k

You buy Ryzen if money is a real issue or you're doing like professional video editing or rendering or something

Basically if you were doing something that BENEFITED enough from Ryzens higher core count to make it a better option than the intel 8700k you would know it

And for gaming Intel is just better period

Personally I'm waiting until November to upgrade, but I also have a 7+ yearold CPU that's still beasting every game I want to play so I don't have to hurry. THAT'S what i call future proof

Reply #9
actually just changed my mind based on what battlesmurf said lol.  turns out the 8700k is roughly the same price as the ryzen i was looking at anyway.

Reply #10
actually just changed my mind based on what battlesmurf said lol.  turns out the 8700k is roughly the same price as the ryzen i was looking at anyway.

Good choice the 8700k is the first real performance jump for gaming/streaming in many years they can all do 5-5.3ghz overclock with a decent air cooler such as Noctua D15, Cryorig ultimate or universal, or Darkrock Pro 4

Even I almost bought one. The only reason I didn't is because my current is good enough and there is the intel z390 platform with an 8 core 16 thread version of the 8700k coming by the end of the year. Honestly that will just be for Epeen and cutting down render times, it's over kill for gaming, not to mention more expensive

Games just don't take advantage of that many cores

8700k 6core 12 thread @5ghz will beast every game for its life span i guarantee it

And you can youtube benchmarks that will show you it beating Ryzen and by how much in each current game. For Darkfall it will be even more significant than most

That's not to say Ryzen can't give you plenty good enough FPS in Darkfall, but if you have a 144hz or especially 240hz monitor the 8700k is hands down the best choice and IMO worth the extra $

BTW if you need help choosing the right motherboard for it LMK because it DOES make a difference for overclocking
  • Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 10:25:27 pm by Battle Smurf

Reply #11
I'm using I5 8600 and I just played in a siege with lots of people at ABSOLUTELY MAX SETTINGS and the CPU didn't even feel it! It was amazing. All shadows enabled and still ~100 fps mid fight
Dunnin Dainstaff - SupremeGeneral of TTD

Reply #12
Go with Intel for gaming . I regret purchasing the bulldozer 8370 I got it cheap for 100€ used with the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 and I'll resell it once i get a i7 2600k or i5 2600k and keep the mainboard for my old Phenom II B50 x4

Unless you compile computer code or process large videos etc.. the Bulldozer cpu's ain't no good
Visually enhance your Darkfall experience
Reshade
Reshade Quick Installer

• XiaN
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #13
If that was the case, Bulldozer CPUs would have been good for DF, but they were and are not.

It's both IPC (instructions per clock) and frequency that matters. And since Darkfall can't use more than 1 core effectively, go for highest single-threaded performance.
Last few generations, that's been Intel, especially once the CPU was overclocked.

not entirely true. darkfall utilizes all of my 12 logical cores with 8 of them beeing at 82%-100% max load and the remaining 4 between 41% and 68%. its not perfect but considering how old the game is and how awful AV is at everything they ever done its suprisingly decent. in general AMD is ahead of Intel in terms of multithread operations but lacks behind in single core operations tho.

but yes clock speed matters alot. im currently running at 4.1 ghz and fps rarely drops below 150 even in big fights.