Skip to main content

Topic: city nodes or populated world (Read 989 times) previous topic - next topic

city nodes or populated world
@Ub3rgames

Once again, I have just crossed mahirim lands, tens if not hundreds of iron nodes, even more trees and stone. Noone. Why would you place nodes in player cities? It makes zero sense. We need people in the world. We need their presence to be visible, we need to hear them mining, see them riding. looking for the next node. Why are you so stubborn with city nodes?

Instead of moving them right outside of city walls, just remove them. You have great distance based gathering system - one of your best additions to the game actually. Completely unused. Such potential wasted. Make open world populated again FFS. Remove city nodes.

People in the world create snowball effect - they attract more people. Motivate people to actually roam, not only move from fixed to fixed locations of hot spots.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
  • Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 09:11:01 pm by wildNothing

Re: city nodes or populated world
Reply #1
This guy is a real genius and has discovered why the games activity is low, its all the fault of city nodes and only if they were gone then the game would be booming.

Or maybe this is as idiotic as all his other posts, hmmm...

Reply #2
This guy is a real genius and has discovered why the games activity is low, its all the fault of city nodes and only if they were gone then the game would be booming.

Or maybe this is as idiotic as all his other posts, hmmm...
Mycke, it's actually disturbing how dumb you are. Maybe some are right that we should not laugh, as it's simply sad.

I will try to explain it to you. Besides one sentence - about people in the open world creating snowball effect - there is literally nothing about activity in my suggestion. Nothing about game population. It's about players scattered all over the world, about making the game world feel alive vs empty world with people sitting in holdings.
  • Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 08:55:30 pm by wildNothing

Reply #3
OP the entire system is beyond broken. Everything from basic mats, rare, refinement, crafting recipie. I will write a book and post it. I am afraid majority won't understand the issue after seeing things from DFO/DFUW spectrum for so long. 

Reply #4
You have entirely forgotten that nodes close to banks produce next to no resources. So the ones in towns yield like 10-15 units.

Any gatherer knows this, and goes out into the wild anyway.

Fail point.

Reply #5
You have entirely forgotten that nodes close to banks produce next to no resources. So the ones in towns yield like 10-15 units.

Fail point.

I'm talking about structures one can build in holdings - mines, etc.
lol, mycke immediately liked you post. hahaha

Reply #6

Fail point.

Then that's even worse.

That patch has not even come in yet. They could be 100m out. Buffed to shit to make it worth the time investment and make them a real hotspot again...

no point moaning about something you not seen yet.

Reply #7

Fail point.

Then that's even worse.

That patch has not even come in yet. They could be 100m out. Buffed to shit to make it worth the time investment and make them a real hotspot again...

no point moaning about something you not seen yet.
It does not matter, it's still a fixed location vs populated open world (remote locations included). You mate are on myckes level I'm afraid. Maybe you even are Mycke. Holy shit.

Reply #8
City nodes only yield ~120 Ore per person - iirc - and take some hours to refill.

Besides that, I'm always out in the wild mining with 2-3 chars and go / ride to bank only when I got 300+ Ore on me. None of my miners has been killed lately.

Seems llike people usually only go out roaming when nearby villages go live soon.

Reply #9
City nodes only yield ~120 Ore per person - iirc - and take some hours to refill.

Besides that, I'm always out in the wild mining with 2-3 chars and go / ride to bank only when I got 300+ Ore on me. None of my miners has been killed lately.

Seems llike people usually only go out roaming when nearby villages go live soon.
Yep, as I said before, snowball effect. Right now it's the opposite. There are not many miners, so people do not look for them as the chance to find one is low. So world is empty. If there were no city mines people would spend more time in the open world gathering, traveling to and from gathering locations.

No matter how much city nodes give  - they give it per player per every node. So you get so much wood, ore, stone, you even get food, potions and steedgrass that way. Every day, per every player. That much less time you will spend in open world.
What I'm saying is that without city nodes all these additional activity would move into the open world. And IMO this is what we need for this world to feel alive.
  • Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 09:47:04 pm by wildNothing

Reply #10
City nodes are currently way too good, but they should be moved outside of the holding soon. Not sure that'll change much tho.

Thing is, if you move nodes out, holdings will really have no value. Not sure anyone would live out of them, which would drive warfare down even more... Not sure what the answer is to that.

Reply #11
City nodes are currently way too good, but they should be moved outside of the holding soon. Not sure that'll change much tho.

Thing is, if you move nodes out, holdings will really have no value. Not sure anyone would live out of them, which would drive warfare down even more... Not sure what the answer is to that.

People will live out of holdings. Because of distance based gathering. If you live in the NPC city nodes are not only highly contested but also yield is small. Which will result in empty nodes.
So the further away the holding is from the NPC city the better the yield. Add much better mobs than in starting areas and you have a reason to live out of holdings and not NPC cities.

But I get your concern for holding value. If the value is too small they need to figure something else out, as city nodes make world feel more empty than it actually is. And we don't need mechanics with such effects, especially with population being so low.
  • Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 10:01:38 pm by wildNothing

Reply #12

Yep, as I said before, snowball effect. Right now it's the opposite. There are not many miners, so people do not look for them as the chance to find one is low. So world is empty. If there were no city mines people would spend more time in the open world gathering, traveling to and from gathering locations.

No matter how much city nodes give  - they give it per player per every node. So you get so much wood, ore, stone, you even get food, potions and steedgrass that way. Every day, per every player. That much less time you will spend in open world.
What I'm saying is that without city nodes all these additional activity would move into the open world. And IMO this is what we need for this world to feel alive.

We don't need more reworks of current systems to get people out in the wild. We need NEW activities for people to do.

- Dynamic Boss Mobs in the wild
- Character "fluff" titles for doing X
      - Examples
           - Rigan the Explorer (Travel to each of the subcontinents in-game)
           - Rigan the Hunter  (Kill X amount of wildlife)
           - Rigan the Undefeated (Kill and gank 20 players without dying)

- More quests

- Proper farming!

- Animal Husbandry!

- Dynamic Wild and new mounts which require physical defeat in order to be able to tame.

- Deployable and mobile camps which offer basic crafting needs. Indescructable to all but damage from siege equip.

- Pirating on the High Seas!

- INNS in player/NPC cities

There are many, many more things that can be ADDED to the game. But that's the key point we seem to always miss, nothing ever really gets added, Only changed.
  • Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 10:35:22 pm by Rigan

Reply #13
We don't need more reworks of current systems to get people out in the wild. We need NEW activities for people to do.

- Examples

- More quests

- Proper farming!

- Animal Husbandry!

- Dynamic Wild and new mounts which require physical defeat in order to be able to tame.

- Deployable and mobile camps which offer basic crafting needs. Indescructable to all but damage from siege equip.

There are many, many more things that can be ADDED to the game. But that's the key point we seem to always miss, nothing ever really gets added, Only changed.
All you posted are examples of some sort of minigames / artificially created content, that will bore people after some time. What I suggested is a sandboxy setting that involves usage of sandboxy tools (looking for best spots, fighting over them, transporting goods, selling goods) that lets players shape the world and makes the game world feel alive.

That's the matter of personal opinion of course, but to me your suggestions look like shit. And would serve no purpose other than wasting devs time.
  • Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 11:21:12 pm by wildNothing

Reply #14

- Examples

- More quests

- Proper farming!

- Animal Husbandry!

All you posted are examples of some sort of minigames / artificially created content, that will bore people after some time. What I suggested is a sandboxy setting that involves usage of sandboxy tools (looking for best spots, fighting over them, transporting goods, selling goods) that lets players shape the world and makes the game world feel alive.

That's the matter of personal opinion of course, but to me your suggestions look like shit. And would serve no purpose other than wasting devs time.

All any Darkfall has ever had, is what you are asking for, and look how that worked in the past.

The sheep need more to do other than craft/gather/pve or PVP. The other possibilities are vast.