Skip to main content

Topic: Meditation (Read 113 times) previous topic - next topic

Meditation
Let skills meditate without point. Point could be used to meditate faster instead.

Re: Meditation
Reply #1
Let skills meditate without point. Point could be used to meditate faster instead.

Let me bump this @Ub3rgames , as I think it has the workings of a good suggestion, but with a pretty big additional change and a few others:

First, as suggested by @Player One , have meditation working all the time, whether logged or and not, at zero cost to meditation points.

Second, allow meditating all skills, including crafting, and titles.

Third, also as suggested by @Player One , meditation points should increase the rate of meditation advancement.

Fourth (and I expect hate) stop skills/spells being increased when used. Advancement should be solely via meditation.

Fifth, rebalance the speed of meditation advancement, considering the above changes. It should be no slower, and probably a bit faster, to advance after these changes than a player would advance now if the game had a healthy population and he actively played a couple of hours a day advancing the skills of his interest with the downtime for meditation. Consider how quickly a reasonably active player should be able to advance a certain number of skills/attributes to 50 and balance accordingly.

Sixth, maybe even introduce an item that can be crafted and used to remove and store your meditation points, which could be given or sold to another player for them to gain your points. This would introduce an entirely new commodity and mean players satisfied with their skill levels would still have a reason to collect meditation points, and clans can donate to new players.

Anyone who's played EVE Online probably sees he inspiration here; and the point isn't to discourage active play, but to encourage it.

Currently the meditation system encourages many players to log in just to build up enough meditation points to be able log back out and continue advancement, which clearly isn't helpful to getting an active population of players. Let's stop giving players a reason to log out. Let's see them logging in to play, whether it be pvp, crafting, gathering, and pve, rather than logging in to work -- just to grind skills or build up meditation points.

Skills advancement shouldn't be about who puts in the most hours or who logs out longest with the most meditation points. While these changes would still reward players for gaining meditation points, it's not an instant win and the benefits still slowly trickle in over time - just quicker than someone who isn't getting meditation points.

Twitch and effective combat skills (pve and pvp) only come through experience and active play, so unskilled players with high stats/skills gained purely through meditation are always going to be worse than good players. Some may think removing advancement through active play hurts active players, but I think this is a lot better than the current system that encourages active players to log out to gain from meditation.
  • Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 10:07:57 am by pellaz
Did you know you can ignore toxic posters, stopping the forum from showing you the text of their posts? Starving trolls eventually move on. Please don't feed the trolls.

Reply #2
Second, allow meditating all skills, including crafting, and titles

Ok for titles but not sure about crafting. I think crafting should keep it's tedious path to it's dedicated players but in a different way because there is so useless grind atm. I would prefer a system where all items crafted got an utility near end game or simply let us salvage the crap.

Third, also as suggested by @Player One , meditation points should increase the rate of meditation advancement.

Or maybe points could be use on a second skill. Chose twice the same skill for an increase rate.

Fourth (and I expect hate) stop skills/spells being increased when used. Advancement should be solely via meditation.

I don't think this will ever happen because this grind is a part of the main content. The only content some would say but I understand your point.

For the rest I kind like it.
  • Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 08:49:49 pm by Player One

Reply #3
@pellaz  if they implemented your suggestion, at least for me, it would be much worst than it is now.
I like going out and skilling stuff....i would absolutely hate it to be just time gated because it only grows with meditation.
If anything, that would be a DISINCENTIVE to play more than what you feel meditation is now.
Why should i log in and play when i can skill just as fast offline? i will meditate and come back in x weeks/months when my skills/stats are high enough...what reason would i have to play when staying offline makes you progress as much?

As it is now, at least for me, meditation is a great thing to have so that i know that when i cannot play i am still skilling up, and i NEVER felt that i would be better not playing and just meditate (because, apart for 75+ skills, you can do it much faster with active play).