Skip to main content

Topic: Walk of Shame, why do we need that in this game? (Read 1728 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Walk of Shame, why do we need that in this game?
Reply #45
I fully support @Ub3rgames on this one. No recall. No instant travel in any form.

I would even go further, the moment you die you become a ghost at exact spot of your death. You don't see anything but terrain, no players, not skill effects. Only fog. And you have to walk to any bind stone you want and touch it - to become alive again. Ub3r could make ghosts move faster (flying).

This would solve many issues:
1. Stupid non intuitive respawn mechanic that ub3r introduced would be gone.
2. Faster travel to desired respawn location after death.
3. No more bindcamping.
Game stays localized.

@Ub3rgames you should actually pay me.
  • Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 12:16:45 am by wildNothing

Reply #46
I would suggest allowing a Runestone to be marked at a specific Bindstone.
Upon marking, the Runestone is destroyed and the player is given the option,
upon death, to respawn at local Bind points under current rules, or the one
time option  to respawn at the Bindstone where the Rune was marked.

If another Runestone is marked at another Bindstone, it overwrites the previous
marking.

Reply #47
I fully support @Ub3rgames on this one. No recall. No instant travel in any form.

I would even go further, the moment you die you become a ghost at exact spot of your death. You don't see anything but terrain, no players, not skill effects. Only fog. And you have to walk to any bind stone you want and touch it - to become alive again. Ub3r could make ghosts move faster (flying).

3. No more bindcamping.
Game stays localized.

that could be a nice solution indeed, i like it

• SomeBK
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #48

3. No more bindcamping.
Game stays localized.

+1
Fair enough ill be there, Actually can we do it Thurs
(ive been lugging boxes of books all morning from a collection I bought and a little beat)

Reply #49
To explain our reasons in less of a wall of text for those who were turned off by our previous reply:
In short: We have observed from DFO, from inDev, and even from Live that players stop "donating gear" after a while.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The ghost form was actually one of our first potential plan.
However, we thought it might be less of a hassle for people if they could just select where to respawn instantly.
You would still gain more time with the loading screen in nearly all cases, over having to actually walk to a bindstone when dead, faster run speed or not.

What exactly makes this an appealing solution even if it takes longer?
That you keep the feeling of being in control?

On stat losses on respawn, we toyed with that idea initially too.
We were considering even more freedom, with a death penalty proportional to the distance of travel.
But in a zerg quality doesn't matter much. Just being there as a sandbag is a factor, even if you do 80% less damage or heals.
For example, a character with an heavy armor pushing melee, even if he doesn't hurt, still disrupts the other side heavily.

However, there is another alternative we've discussed too based on the posts in this discussion.
Isn't the walk of shame more of a symptom than a root cause?
Isn't the actual issue that there is a lack of rewarding local content?

This would go both for PvE and PvP, but also in terms of quality of life.
For example of quality of life, trade being still not "meta" is an issue.
If we solved these issues, would the need to travel really still be felt?
The Darkfall: New Dawn Dev Team.

Reply #50
However, there is another alternative we've discussed too based on the posts in this discussion.

You can't even make global content, dreaming about local content...

100 year plan? :)))
IGN: "Eilis Traee"
However, you have to take into account why we are introducing local banking.
In New Dawn, its main purpose is to be a convenience feature.
"Things just got worse."

Reply #51
To explain our reasons in less of a wall of text for those who were turned off by our previous reply:
In short: We have observed from DFO, from inDev, and even from Live that players stop "donating gear" after a while.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The ghost form was actually one of our first potential plan.
However, we thought it might be less of a hassle for people if they could just select where to respawn instantly.
You would still gain more time with the loading screen in nearly all cases, over having to actually walk to a bindstone when dead, faster run speed or not.

What exactly makes this an appealing solution even if it takes longer?
That you keep the feeling of being in control?

On stat losses on respawn, we toyed with that idea initially too.
We were considering even more freedom, with a death penalty proportional to the distance of travel.
But in a zerg quality doesn't matter much. Just being there as a sandbag is a factor, even if you do 80% less damage or heals.
For example, a character with an heavy armor pushing melee, even if he doesn't hurt, still disrupts the other side heavily.

The WoS is not a symptom it is a result of your vision. That people find the WoS unrewarding and non constructive is not a emotion but a rational conclusion. With local banking and no fast travel you allready countered the KoS players, adding WoS on top is just 2 much and pushes the wrong kind of players away from the game. The question if the core of the problem is lack of local content then i say no. If you die at a point of local content you still have to walk miles naked with no use or constructive purpose so no way there is another reason behind the hate on the WoS.
Try test your own WoS, go die at the one side of an island and move back to your bank on the opposite side of the island. Do that 10 times and then ask your tester if he enjoyed the time spend testing the WoS.......... c'mon Ub3r.......wake up !!!!

If you keep looking at the same picture, over time you start seeing more and more details that you first never seen or noticed. A perfectionist would start fixing each and every detail to create the perfect image but when he is finished the picture isnt his anymore. All the improved and highlighted details created chaos which conflict with eachother, viewers start seeing details first and not the complete picture anymore. In a way you Ub3rguys are that artist, to much details/math and stuff your players have no clue about and or not intrested in at all. They just want to be entertained.....
BimBam Kaboom - Simiran

Reply #52
I think the best solution for the walk of shame is to make it when you die you can always spawn at your clans closest clan holding.(I guess you'd extend that to alliance??)

Current system deters people travelling for PVP and also stops them from returning to the fight if they feel that they want to do so.

EDIT: didn't read the other posts so if that's suggested I agree.
  • Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 06:58:10 pm by SmallHands

Reply #53
Dont know bout you guys but I dont think the old DF had to many ways to travel fast.

- Naked Bindstone Recall
- Rare Runestones
- Fast Ships
- Fast Roads

SHOULD BE INGAME!

Portal Chamber NOT!

Were supposed to play a game and have fun, not simulate reality or make it feel unrewarding to play as if youre working.

Local Banking is fun on paper or on a 10k Players Server but not as it is now.
Walk of Shame is just a waste of time for everyone and has no right to exist.

Reply #54
- Fast Ships
- Fast Roads
This would be enough, we do not need anything else from your list.
Recalls and runestones, no matter how rare, ruin other important parts of the game. In other words we need fast travel (desperately), but not instant travel.
  • Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 11:17:31 pm by wildNothing

Reply #55
Dont know bout you guys but I dont think the old DF had to many ways to travel fast.

- Naked Bindstone Recall
- Rare Runestones
- Fast Ships
- Fast Roads

SHOULD BE INGAME!

Portal Chamber NOT!

Were supposed to play a game and have fun, not simulate reality or make it feel unrewarding to play as if youre working.

Local Banking is fun on paper or on a 10k Players Server but not as it is now.
Walk of Shame is just a waste of time for everyone and has no right to exist.

Local banking and no fast travel works in survival type games because you can usually have enough basic materials to get by ANYWHERE and only travel to get more advanced stuff. This is what ub3r fails to understand and why it can't work properly as you have to spawn naked and run like a fucking douchebag to somewhere where you can get a bag together. Survival games also have VERY few requirements to be effective, a simple weapon and a shirt is enough to get by typically, here you need 10 pieces of armour, 2-3 weapons, food, potions, ammunition, a mount, etc, etc.

THIS IS WHY THEIR LOCAL SHIT FAILS.

The game wasn't built for it and MASSIVE changes need to happen for it to truly work properly without being a huge pain in the ass that will eventually grief all players out of this version. I really hope they learn this lesson quick and build the changes needed to support this local only mindset which I in fact love but hate the current implementation.

Reply #56
The game wasn't built for it and MASSIVE changes need to happen for it to truly work properly without being a huge pain in the ass that will eventually grief all players out of this version. I really hope they learn this lesson quick and build the changes needed to support this local only mindset which I in fact love but hate the current implementation.
This. The problem was brought up in inDev. Sadly it's ub3rgames. I remember them (and their yes-men brown nosers) answering every time - "lol, what is there to test with local banking?". They implemented local banking days before release. So here we are.

Reply #57
The devs defense of WOS and the statement that it's an important part of the vision of this game is hopelessly discouraging. It's been expressed by players a thousand times in a thousand different ways how much of a pain in the ass this concept is.

Remember DF is already a harsh game in that it is full loot open world pvp. Meaning you will have to spend time regearing yourself and pulling your shit back together after a pvp loss.

To add a 20 minute WOS to this process only adds salt to the wounds, and makes the entire concept of this version of DF rediculous. It seemed at one point the devs understood this, and had plans to try to correct it. Now after reading these posts from devs here, all hope is lost imo.

• SomeBK
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #58
Their implementation of local banking during inDev  was me keeping everything in my retrieval vault and eventually making Hal Kali the place where I'd keep my remarked runes. All I had to do was make sure I brought a rune with me back to HK where ever I went.

Local banking, titles, spawn scaling and villages should've been tested at the start of inDev. Being that this was not possible since it was all being developed, the game should've been sent into beta (which I feel is technically where it's at now) and then launched once the necessary mechanics were in place to make the "casual gamer" this version was supposed to be catered towards more enjoyable
Fair enough ill be there, Actually can we do it Thurs
(ive been lugging boxes of books all morning from a collection I bought and a little beat)