Skip to main content

Topic: Infliction Feedback (not so good) (Read 967 times) previous topic - next topic

Infliction Feedback (not so good)
I did some testing last night with infliction school, as I have the title.  I also have Air magic title.

My test subject was wearing plate scale set so I could see if the infliction damage vs heavy really made a difference.

Venom at 50 did 27 damage to the target
Ball Lightning at 50 did 25 damage to the target.

Test staff was a dark scepter.

On face value you can see it does a little more damage, which is good but there is a problem with it.

Venom tics 8 times.  Ball lightning tics once.

So my test subject was able to negate half the venom damage because of his natural health regen and the bonus from heavy armor.  So venom really seems to do about 10 damage.

I even tried stacking venom, rend, needles, toxic.  Or just blasting 4 air magic spells.  Air magic is still more effective at killing the target.

OBSERVATION: - Yes infliction ignores armor, but the damage was reduced to be in line with other spells schools that don't ignore armor. 

SUGGESTION: - If you get hit with an infliction spell, it should negate the targets natural health regen until the poison runs its course, (tics are finished).

Anyone else have thoughts on this?  It is a really cool school and fun to use, but feels really underwhelming.  Having a melee/archer push you when dueling is really hard to keep those tics up high enough to do anything.

Re: Infliction Feedback (not so good)
Reply #1
The damage for me felt pretty decent in duels vs leather wearer.

But the main problem is the debuffs. They need to be changed drastically.

Frailty - tested with 93 spell skill, does about 0.03 dmg difference with weapons on target. Lasts for 2+ minutes for some reason.
Health/stam degen - does almost nothing, total stats reduced in 20 sec that it lasts is like 10, useless to cast them.
Infliction resistance debuff - lasts about 13 seconds and you need to shoot at least 5 spells with infliction dmg on target in that time for it to make more dmg than if you just shot another spell which are easier to hit.
Vit debuff on venom works very weird. If you shoot it on a full HP target, it will do like 20 extra dmg, which is insane. If you shoot it on a target with 20 hp missing, its one of the worst bolts. The VIT stat decrease seems to do almost nothing to increase infliction dmg like it says in player stats info.

Reply #2
nothing to test,it was predictable useless school

Reply #3
At Undeath -0.63 I cannot subjectively see any difference in tick rate. Maybe it's there.

Since there is a potion that specifically counteracts this penalty, it should be made stronger.  Presumably Exhaust is just as wimpy.

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
exhaust actually hurts more, because stam regen got increased quite a bit.

Exhaust was one of those "fuck it i might aswell throw it"-debuffs from DFO...it hurts if its on you because it lasted 2+ minutes.
Health degen was always shit, but in PvE it came up big on the larger monsters.
Currently even that is meaningless, because monsters dont even regenerate health.

as a side note, they are looking to change that at some point...but for now it does nothing

Though with the current durations on debuffs, its not too impressive for either

• gosti
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
Heh. The fight doesn't end after 4 spells... If you hit 4 venoms and then stop hitting anything then yeah, after those 8 seconds the target is going to have more health than the moment you hit 4 air bolts. But if the guy shooting air spells stops hitting for the same 8 seconds - after those 8 seconds he will end with dealing 8 dmg less.

Is the insta dmg better than dots? Of course it is.
Is infliction weak? I don't think so. Time will tell tho.

My main concerns are slow debuff and the potion that removes all dots...
  • Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 09:52:11 pm by gosti

Reply #6
sadly, they nerfed debuffs so much that basically all of them are pretty much useless now

Reply #7
Debuffs lasting the same shitty duration as buffs is a problem, as it's a lot harder hitting debuffs (enemy will actively try to dodge; ally will stand try to be still for you to land buffs)
Wyverex Erisian, SG of Scrubs

Still a member of SaltyBitches™ Club

Reply #8
Debuffs lasting the same shitty duration as buffs is a problem, as it's a lot harder hitting debuffs (enemy will actively try to dodge; ally will stand try to be still for you to land buffs)

I agree about debuffs.  I preferred them the old way, when they actually lasted awhile if you were hit.  I wish they would revert that back the way it was.

Reply #9
Lets not forget how terribly slow the Flesh Curse projectile is.. It's an absolute bitch to land. Also from my experience Venom feels harder to land than any other bolt, might just be me though.

Reply #10
Venom has flight speed similar to Ball Lightning (Air bolt) which is the slowest bolt.
So, not very surprising it's a bitch to land.

Reply #11
The biggest problem with infliction is that you need to apply flesh curse for the damage to become effective, BUT flesh curse is one of the slowest moving projectiles in ALL of Darkfall, on top of that every debuff lasts for a very short time, so it feels like a waste to even try hitting with it.

Reply #12
Infliction has one good spell. Toxic Rain... RIP Water they nerfed utility and took it's aoe. Can Fire lose volcano, can air lose tornado?

You are also forgetting the difference between infliction and air.. stam damage. Add all stat damage you caused and use it as total stat damage pool. Good or even half decent dfo players dont die because they are out of their red bar... they were out of all bars.

Reply #13
Venom has flight speed similar to Ball Lightning (Air bolt) which is the slowest bolt.
So, not very surprising it's a bitch to land.

I forgot that bolts have different speeds.  Do you know the speed order for bolts?

I guess maybe infliction will really shine fighting someone in infernal/dragon armor.  Which almost never happens.  Ultimately it will be one of the best siege magic schools in the later game.

I still think it needs a few buffs, like bolt speed, debuff speed, debuff duration, and health regen disabled during poison.

Reply #14
Not counting 40% speed increase you can apply to bolts:

Earth, Fire, Necro, Arcane (holy) around 60 m/s
Water is around 50
Infliction and Air is around 40 m/s

I'd suggest checking Bala's table for his InDev tests.