Skip to main content

Topic: Mages in water (Read 1287 times) previous topic - next topic

Mages in water
Since New Dawn insists on making this game about class warfare, I'm curious when they are going to unlock bolts being able to used under water?

Currently it's incredibly imbalanced for a mage to be underwater(and everywhere else, but I digress) given the fact that they wear armor that gives no speed to archery and very little protections.  Also, a mage typically has not leveled up Archery at all, so if one even happens to have a bow on them at all, they will be much less efficient.  A mages only option currently is Mana Missile.  Why?

It's not a HUGE deal at the moment because sea towers aren't enabled, but once we get more and more naval combat, mages are going to be severely gimped in the coming water battles.

What gives? @Ub3rgames

Re: Mages in water
Reply #1
Even more important is that without a bow you can't disable from range as a mage. And this is important for water fighting. As always half assed implementation by ub3rgames.

Reply #2
Have you tryed to rise a Mana Missle? It have increased travel speed with lvl and same damage you can deal with bow

Reply #3
Have you tryed to rise a Mana Missle? It have increased travel speed with lvl and same damage you can deal with bow
I haven't. I don't see the point or the necessity of having to level a spell outside of my chosen title purely for magic, when there really is no point in NOT unlocking bolts for water combat.  Why are they locked out currently, anyway?

Reply #4
But you see the point to waste alot of time to max Bow + Dex and use it ONLY FOR UNDERWATER FIGHT and have same damage output like with trained (meditated) mana missle????

Reply #5
But you see the point to waste alot of time to max Bow + Dex and use it ONLY FOR UNDERWATER FIGHT and have same damage output like with trained (meditated) mana missle????

No I don't see the point in a mage having to max a Bow + Dex just for underwater fighting either. However, an archer or a melee / archer already has leveled up their Archery + Dexterity + have Titles + have gear to increase damage and speed of bows.   Currently if you are Title specced as an Archer, or hell even a melee player you are better equipped to fight under water.  Hence the question why bolts(IE Firebolt) aren't unlocked in water.  There is no reason for this. I believe it is an oversight, unless someone can explain how mages being allowed to use their bolts is any different from Archers being able to use their arrows?

• XiaN
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #6

No I don't see the point in a mage having to max a Bow + Dex just for underwater fighting either. However, an archer or a melee / archer already has leveled up their Archery + Dexterity + have Titles + have gear to increase damage and speed of bows.   Currently if you are Title specced as an Archer, or hell even a melee player you are better equipped to fight under water.  Hence the question why bolts(IE Firebolt) aren't unlocked in water.  There is no reason for this. I believe it is an oversight, unless someone can explain how mages being allowed to use their bolts is any different from Archers being able to use their arrows?

well considering that its alot easier to hit with bolts than with arrows and ub3rgames hating mages i guess that is your answer

Reply #7

No I don't see the point in a mage having to max a Bow + Dex just for underwater fighting either. However, an archer or a melee / archer already has leveled up their Archery + Dexterity + have Titles + have gear to increase damage and speed of bows.  Currently if you are Title specced as an Archer, or hell even a melee player you are better equipped to fight under water.  Hence the question why bolts(IE Firebolt) aren't unlocked in water.  There is no reason for this. I believe it is an oversight, unless someone can explain how mages being allowed to use their bolts is any different from Archers being able to use their arrows?
by ub3rgames logic bolts are too strong (dps wise) to be available in water.

So:
bolts > archery = not good
but
archery > mana missle = good.
uberlogic.

Your points are valid. Mage has to skill separate tool just for water fighting, while melee/archery builds don't have too. Also mages still don't have a range disable.

Sadly the answer to "why" is only one - Ub3rgames is the worst dev studio that ever touched darkfall.

Reply #8

No I don't see the point in a mage having to max a Bow + Dex just for underwater fighting either. However, an archer or a melee / archer already has leveled up their Archery + Dexterity + have Titles + have gear to increase damage and speed of bows.  Currently if you are Title specced as an Archer, or hell even a melee player you are better equipped to fight under water.  Hence the question why bolts(IE Firebolt) aren't unlocked in water.  There is no reason for this. I believe it is an oversight, unless someone can explain how mages being allowed to use their bolts is any different from Archers being able to use their arrows?

Sadly the answer to "why" is only one - Ub3rgames is the worst dev studio that ever touched darkfall.
I don't think they are the worst.  AV was by far the worst.  Razorwax made an amazing game that got absolutely destroyed by Aventurine and caused a huge following to give up and leave us where we are today.  Ub3r has some flawed visions, but all in all I still enjoy New Dawn. Even as a shitty sub par gimped Fire mage.

Reply #9
I don't think they are the worst.  AV was by far the worst. 
It's a common misconception. AV abandoned original darkfall, stopped development and communication, hence the hate from community. They were nowhere near incompetence level of ub3rgames though.

What you bring up is AV's vision that you didn't like. That's something else. Also strongly subjective. While I assess their implementations, not vision. In my life I have never encountered as bad dev tam as ub3r. While at the same time I had to admit their vision of the game I like. But it only makes it even more apparent of how bad they are at what they are doing.
  • Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 10:27:03 am by wildNothing

Reply #10
Mage can easily escape fights with begone and new launch (I hope?) and you can't do shit about it as fighter.
Also, with a certain numbers of fight-resets, fighter is more likely to run out of arrows than mage run out of staff durability.
Furthermore, fighters are more likely to lose their stamina in water due to shooting and swimming costs, their transfers are less powerful and eventually they will run out of resources/stats faster than average mage.

OP, level your mana missle, learn to use begone and new launch (I hope?) in water and reset fights until the end of your opponent.
Funai Kanashimi in game.
Will re-sub only after watchtowers. See ya all in 2035 nerds.

Reply #11
It's a common misconception. AV abandoned original darkfall, stopped development and communication, hence the hate from community. They were nowhere near incompetence level of ub3rgames though.

What you bring up is AV's vision that you didn't like. That's something else. Also strongly subjective. While I assess their implementations, not vision. In my life I have never encountered as bad dev tam as ub3r. While at the same time I had to admit their vision of the game I like. But it only makes it even more apparent of how bad they are at what they are doing.

While I don't want to derail the thread, I'll say this.  AV completely failed at launch. Then,  AV promised us there wasn't going to be a wipe. They promised us after the Ice expansion that there would be a huge expansion once a year then they promised Darkfall 2010.  After all the promises and absolute refusal to update the game (AT ALL due to Darkfall 2010 on the horizon), they finally admitted they were making Unholy Wars, and shut down the server.

No one in the history of game development has fucked their fanbase more than Aventurine.  It has absolutely nothing to do with their "vision".

Reply #12

While I don't want to derail the thread, I'll say this.  AV completely failed at launch. Then,  AV promised us there wasn't going to be a wipe. They promised us after the Ice expansion that there would be a huge expansion once a year then they promised Darkfall 2010.  After all the promises and absolute refusal to update the game (AT ALL due to Darkfall 2010 on the horizon), they finally admitted they were making Unholy Wars, and shut down the server.

No one in the history of game development has fucked their fanbase more than Aventurine.  It has absolutely nothing to do with their "vision".
Again, I'm talking about ub3r's incompetence on development field. Not about "fucking their fanbase". But believe me, you don't want to start the talks about who fucked their fanbase more. As what we've seen thus far makes ub3rgames scam artist. It took them few months only to reach av's level on that field (av had worked for the "scam artist" title for years).

• XiaN
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #13

I don't think they are the worst.  AV was by far the worst.  Razorwax made an amazing game that got absolutely destroyed by Aventurine and caused a huge following to give up and leave us where we are today.  Ub3r has some flawed visions, but all in all I still enjoy New Dawn. Even as a shitty sub par gimped Fire mage.

AV was smart enough to understand that local banking is dumb as fuck and can never work in a game like darkfall hence why it was removed pre launch.

therefor AV > ub3r

q.e.d.

Reply #14
Mana missile is okay close range, it just blows at medium range. I do agree that it isnt fair that mages need to level MORE skills. Also the lack of disable is massive.

Explosion is op in the water though. Should also look into that as well.
  • Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 12:38:47 pm by Maximiliuss