Skip to main content

Topic: Viable Magic Titles? (Read 922 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Viable Magic Titles?
Reply #15
Taking more then 2 magic titles is not really the way to go imho. Each magic title you take makes other schools less viable because of the potency penalty.  Taking 3 means 3 times a penalty so the 6% boost if the title is max is gone.

You can not take combo twice,  i think so at least. magic school combo scholar combo melee title is not an option. If you could it would make the best hybrid build there is, with melee being a lil lower then dedicated melee player but the magic set up with only 1title makes sure your magic is strong.

Quick casting is not that great, the bonus scholar gives you includes casting time so i would throw it out. You do not need a melee title to melee, the choice of your melee weapon is important because of the penalty. Polearms become to slow avoid using that, if i would go hybrid i would use Greatswords if i would wear bone armor but would pick 1h swords/axe or clubs if i would wear robes. In robes the shield  gives me more slashimg prot or i pre cast iron skin before going melee.

Magic is being changed so dont chamge to much.
You can weapon combo scholar/warrior combo school. You are however limited by gear that is either +magic or +damage and encumb. You can easier play the "switching between melee and ranged" game against bow though, and you can have pressure when fighting mage. People say it was viable in indev.

Reply #16
Magic is being changed so dont chamge to much.

Yes, that's exactly why I'm waiting before making a change, but will switch some of them to get the 1H melee title squeezing in. I would may be go Fire / Scholar / 1H Axe

Not having Eye Rot is may be a mistake as it is very strong with high end gear.

A melee title is for me mandatory for two reasons (if you want to use melee of course) : Seize (free hit at small range) and WW (free hit as well). Not counting the power attack which could be situationaly deadly.

Reply #17
I heard someone say that 1h clubs are great, armor always protects less vs clubs and hammers.

So double combo is a thing... My hybrid choice qould be GS - combo - scholar - combo - Air.  If the vamperic necro school really works then that would be my choice.
BimBam Kaboom - Simiran

Reply #18
I heard someone say that 1h clubs are great, armor always protects less vs clubs and hammers.
As it is now, they are not. The base dmg of 1hblunt is exactly 1 tier lower of a 1h axe for the same speed meaning that you will do less dmg than an axe on non heavy armor wearer and basically the same on heavy armor wearers.
If you factor also the power attack, the axe is definitely still better imho (20 stam drain vs 5ish less protections for 10-15sec).

Blunts are supposed to be buffed, infact, both in dmg and in their power attack to make them more viable....but i am not sure if they will ever become that much better (clearly they cant do the same base dmg as axes or they'd become overpowered...so i assume they will put them somewhere in the middle meaning they will probably do a little less on light armored and a little more on heavy armored)

Reply #19
As it is now, they are not. The base dmg of 1hblunt is exactly 1 tier lower of a 1h axe for the same speed meaning that you will do less dmg than an axe on non heavy armor wearer and basically the same on heavy armor wearers.
If you factor also the power attack, the axe is definitely still better imho (20 stam drain vs 5ish less protections for 10-15sec).

Blunts are supposed to be buffed, infact, both in dmg and in their power attack to make them more viable....but i am not sure if they will ever become that much better (clearly they cant do the same base dmg as axes or they'd become overpowered...so i assume they will put them somewhere in the middle meaning they will probably do a little less on light armored and a little more on heavy armored)

great info thx.

A difference in weapon damage output between weapon types seems to be a nice idea but what a nightmare to balance. You need to change so much each time you adjust one weapon. The balancing through weapon protection levels on armor seems a more efficient way in handling the balance and special quality's between weapon types and is far more easy to understand for players. But i am jyst a player might be very valid reasons in handling it otherwise.

BimBam Kaboom - Simiran

Reply #20
A difference in weapon damage output between weapon types seems to be a nice idea but what a nightmare to balance. You need to change so much each time you adjust one weapon. The balancing through weapon protection levels on armor seems a more efficient way in handling the balance and special quality's between weapon types and is far more easy to understand for players. But i am jyst a player might be very valid reasons in handling it otherwise.
Well, they need to have both base dmg and armor protections different because, otherwise some weapons would be overpowered.
If, for example, they gave blunts, or swords the same base dmg of axes, then axes would be underpowered (they are slower than a sword, so they obviously need more dmg than them, and they are on equal speed as blunts, but protections for slash/blunt are the same on light/medium armor and lower blunts on heavy armor, so it would end up with blunts doing same dmg on low/medium and higher on heavies).
I think axes and swords are pretty well balanced, one prefering more dmg per hit, the other faster swing attack. Same goes for piercing weapons (pole has same dmg as axed but slower speed but, once again, piercing is a little lower than slashing on heavy armors, so in the end axes/pole will do about the same dps).
The only ones really underpowered right now are blunts since their base dmg is too low compared to other weapons and, even in the best situations (against a full heavy) they barely (not even sure, actually) outdmg slashing weapons

• SomeBK
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #21
Atm 2 magic titles plus combo plus scholar is the best title set up, if you take more magic titles you will lower your potency for all other schools. Scholar is by far the best magic title there is atm.
Combining melee with magic also gives your magic a 2% penalty per title. Ingame that means your melee speed is lowered by a lot so taking polearms is a very bad choice. The push away effect is pretty low so not really worth taking. Having your 1h skill up can help for a mage since basic speed is ok in robes plua since you have your shield up it alsi improves your protection stats.
There's some inaccuracies in this post. As enticing as scholar sounds, it's not that bad to go 3 magic schools and combo a weapon skill. The weapon skill +6% gets negated by the -2%x3 from the magic schools and the +6% from each magic school get negated by the weapon title and two other magic titles leaving you only running a deficit of -8% for schools of magic you're not titled in.

So if you choose your 3 schools carefully and try to keep your casting restricted to just those three schools, you actually come out more versatile and with many suit build options to pair with your six unlocked spells and special weapon abilities.

I ran fire/combo/scholar/combo/GS, Fire/air/necro/combo scholar, fire/necro/combo/gs/armor during that short span of inDev we were able to test out titles on maxed characters.

I settled on Arcane/necro/air/combo/GS and the only regret I have is not doing WC instead of Arcane but only because of how slow Ub3r is at redoing the schools of magic that still need to be changed. I feel my build right now can be used as support in a robe or even a tank in full heavy or a bit of both in bone.

I wouldn't focus too much on the percentages a title gives or takes away as much as what things you'd be unlocking by taking that title. Those little boosts that things like scholar grant you can be made up for with the way you tweak your suit and q2 enchant certain items
Fair enough ill be there, Actually can we do it Thurs
(ive been lugging boxes of books all morning from a collection I bought and a little beat)