Skip to main content

Topic: Viable Magic Titles? (Read 923 times) previous topic - next topic

Viable Magic Titles?
I took Arcane, Fire, Raw as my three magic titles, crafting I took alchemy and herbalism which I may drop the herbalism and take potent mage instead. 

Reason for Arcane, it has a good, fast, long range bolt and Wall of Force (which is so fing small, its cute) . 

Reason for Fire, same as Arcane but with knockups which Im finding dont really knock anything up at all.

Reason for Raw, if I read correctly, buffs all Lesser Magic and Greater Magic so if Im correct, that means healing and transfers as well but Im not certain on this.

Was also thinking of ditching Raw for something else but am undecided.  Any suggestions?  I prefer to stick to mage due to latency (140-160), if I do change in the future I may consider taking on melee with polearms.  As it stands right now I take a -4% potency hit on my current magic titles but gain 6% of that back over title leveling and more if I take potent mage.
  • Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 06:14:08 am by Rethgar

Re: Viable Magic Titles?
Reply #1
you should take air necro combo scholar then a 5th one
  • Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 06:50:56 am by Lionell

Reply #2
Tbh go what you feel like and dont be afraid to shake it up. There is no real meta atm

Reply #3
Atm 2 magic titles plus combo plus scholar is the best title set up, if you take more magic titles you will lower your potency for all other schools. Scholar is by far the best magic title there is atm.
Combining melee with magic also gives your magic a 2% penalty per title. Ingame that means your melee speed is lowered by a lot so taking polearms is a very bad choice. The push away effect is pretty low so not really worth taking. Having your 1h skill up can help for a mage since basic speed is ok in robes plua since you have your shield up it alsi improves your protection stats.
BimBam Kaboom - Simiran

Reply #4
[...]
Reason for Raw, if I read correctly, buffs all Lesser Magic and Greater Magic so if Im correct, that means healing and transfers as well but Im not certain on this. [...]

Transfers and basic heals will be part of the Cantrips and Regen schools soon, which everyone will get maxed (except for mana missile). Your Raw Magic Title will have no impact on those.

Reply #5
Now i got air(for bolt and wall) spellchant (for supporrint) and infliction(just for poison and shit when it comes out) +combo scholar. didnt like fire or necro tested both. Necro is good but realy didnt like it in my play style.

Reply #6
go warrior, magic broken ( way longer lvling up and im the end archer with melle will out dmg you with left clicking). you will quit before get ur mage playable. with a warrior after 2-3 weeks of casual playing u will be ready for pvp
Herzl - GSC

Reply #7
[...]
Reason for Raw, if I read correctly, buffs all Lesser Magic and Greater Magic so if Im correct, that means healing and transfers as well but Im not certain on this. [...]

Transfers and basic heals will be part of the Cantrips and Regen schools soon, which everyone will get maxed (except for mana missile). Your Raw Magic Title will have no impact on those.
I was wondering as much, might as well drop it and take a different title.

Reply #8
What was the stat specifics on scholar? 

Reply #9
What was the stat specifics on scholar? 

+3 to magic potency -2 to physical potency (potency = all associated title related skills)

Reply #10
Tbh go what you feel like and dont be afraid to shake it up. There is no real meta atm

you mean there is no magic meta - everyone plays melee/archer

Reply #11

you mean there is no magic meta - everyone plays melee/archer

There are mages, but they're under-represented, yeah.. Who knows what will happen after the magic rebalance, though. I've just gone with whatever I felt like, and hope it won't be pure dogshit once the rebalance is here..

What I DO know, is that there seems to be alot more diversity now than what it used to be. So many new playstyles instead of everyone being able to do everything

Reply #12
Right now I will continu to play my mage as it is : Fire/Necro/Quickenspell combo Scholar.
I might drop the Quicken for Air magic if I see that stormblast is good (and I have air magic at 95).

Even by maxing your mage skills, it's still not very balance, because you spend so much time grinding your magic that you don't up the other stats.

My stats atm :
45 strenghts
55 vitality
32 Dext
36 Quickness
83 Intelligence
43 Wisdom (useless stat :p)

My magic skills
Fire : 50 intensify
Air : 95
Necro and Arcane : 50
Greater 80
Lesser 25 intensify (which I had to grind because of not playing the first 2 days where everyone benefit from the bug).
Archmage 50

I can only see a slight change now in combat since the r60 staffs at 1,15 Magnitude (can't wait to be enchanted). Because before that, it was very bad.
The only fire spells that are really useful is the combo inferno / Dragonbreath, the rest is meh.
I feel sad taking Necro for only the two signature spells, but they are useful.

My plan now is to see after the magic patch if it is interesting to play a kind of Hybrid playstyle as :
Fire / Combo / Warrior / Combo / 1H (axe is the best atm)

You use archery as your main source of DPS and use Fire spells for knock up AOE situation. 1H for melee (As Unknow Mantra video build).
It's not a mage but more Hybrid. 

An other plan which I will probably tend to take :
Fire/ Air or Necro / combo / 1H
So more a mage with the posibility to fight back in melee (biggest weakness of a mage right now).

Just my actual thoughts.

Reply #13
An other plan which I will probably tend to take :
Fire/ Air or Necro / combo / 1H
So more a mage with the posibility to fight back in melee (biggest weakness of a mage right now).

Just my actual thoughts.

I wpouldsuggest something close(ish!) to this.

Whatever you do - don't listen to the people telling you not to level / use mellee weapons and be a robe wearing 310 hp 'mage' who tries to jump kite archers with firebolt and then cries.

Hybrid  is still the way forward and is what all will play later, with decent chars , once they finally realise what is possible with developed toona and mixed armours etc!

Ask yourself if you reallyh want a one dimentional char that does a few % + dmg or a multi functional chaaracter that can respond to all the various situations that arise ina fight to some reasonable extent. then you are on the right track - that goes for physical build also ;) e.g if you are playing in leathers and can unbuurden to 0 magic why would younot want a field aoe and r90 to finish a guy squirelling on 10hp or a guy hiding behind a tree etc... Just like heavy hybrids used rays in DF1. It did some shitty dmg but it was still welll worth using as it provided a additional tool that was not offered by a bow in a specific combat situation that arises almost evry fight...

imo the entire title system and armor system are two additional level of the old encumberance system that can be interactesd like encumberance was in DF1 for different playstyles. It is not this class system some seem to think at present.

Anyone who played a lot of heavy hybrid should see the system for what it is. As a heavy hybrid you used bow / mellee for primary dps but you also used a wide range of magics, at lesser dmg but because they provided a set of tools to combat more situations. Its the tools in the box that count still. Its not a tab target game where you trade blows in open field.

I thought encumberance wa one of DF greatest achivements and when i saw how this tries to add two more levels to that, using same principles I was quite excited. ;)
  • Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 03:42:34 pm by Beta Bot

Reply #14
Taking more then 2 magic titles is not really the way to go imho. Each magic title you take makes other schools less viable because of the potency penalty.  Taking 3 means 3 times a penalty so the 6% boost if the title is max is gone.

You can not take combo twice,  i think so at least. magic school combo scholar combo melee title is not an option. If you could it would make the best hybrid build there is, with melee being a lil lower then dedicated melee player but the magic set up with only 1title makes sure your magic is strong.

Quick casting is not that great, the bonus scholar gives you includes casting time so i would throw it out. You do not need a melee title to melee, the choice of your melee weapon is important because of the penalty. Polearms become to slow avoid using that, if i would go hybrid i would use Greatswords if i would wear bone armor but would pick 1h swords/axe or clubs if i would wear robes. In robes the shield  gives me more slashimg prot or i pre cast iron skin before going melee.

Magic is being changed so dont chamge to much.
BimBam Kaboom - Simiran