Skip to main content

Topic: Stop talking about alt ub3r drop the magicpatch FFS (Read 989 times) previous topic - next topic

Stop talking about alt ub3r drop the magicpatch FFS
Drop patch don't waste time forumfalling until you do it's been over a month now..

TICK TOCK
dodgy bastard

Re: Stop talking about alt ub3r drop the magicpatch FFS
Reply #1
https://darkfallnewdawn.com/roadmap-ongoing/

Right now: In QA or short development, so 1-2 weeks away.
Short term: Well advanced in development so 4-6 weeks away.
Medium term: Started but long projects, 2-3 months.

your welcome

Reply #2
Moving clan nodes out of holding is projected to take 4-6 weeks? Is this not just dragging the objects out of the holding in their map editor? Sounds like one afternoon of work to do this for 40~ or so holdings. Not even one afternoon.

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
Its almost 100 holdings.
Some have multiple nodes.
You cant just dump them in any location...

Will this specific task take 4-6 weeks, no.
But they arent a huge team so the person completing this task in the next 4-6 weeks is also helping on the things to be completed 1-2 weeks away.
And there's more in the pipeline for the 4-6 week bracket, so its probably not more than a day's work.
But, its just not high enough priority.

• Meth
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
Moving clan nodes out of holding is projected to take 4-6 weeks? Is this not just dragging the objects out of the holding in their map editor? Sounds like one afternoon of work to do this for 40~ or so holdings. Not even one afternoon.
Heh if you had used the World builder you'd understand, i imagine they arent just moving them out of the city I imagine they're creating a small area around them.
Quote from: Ub3rgames
Please understand that unlike during InDev, we are forced to communicate only once per week at most.

The writing of this reply has taken a bit more than a full man-day.

Reply #5
Heh if you had used the World builder you'd understand, i imagine they arent just moving them out of the city I imagine they're creating a small area around them.

I've seen videos of the world builder. If moving 100 objects on the game world is a 4-6 week project watchtowers are going to take 8 months, not 4.

Hate to say it but RoA took SUGGESTIONS FROM PLAYERS on map fixes to their holdings and had it done in two days or less. That's new wall placements, new hills, new gate locations, etc.

Reply #6

I've seen videos of the world builder. If moving 100 objects on the game world is a 4-6 week project watchtowers are going to take 8 months, not 4.

Hate to say it but RoA took SUGGESTIONS FROM PLAYERS on map fixes to their holdings and had it done in two days or less. That's new wall placements, new hills, new gate locations, etc.

on ROA it was just minor terrain alterations around holdings, no interactive elements. moving interactive objects like nodes take probably more time.

Reply #7
Do you guys even IT?

1. Make change
2. Unit test it
3. Hand over to tester
4. System/functional test it
5. User test it
6. Set up scripts to port the change from Dev to Prod server
7. Release

Not sure what the time ratios are for a MMO, for most work dev time = test time, for a banking app test time = 5 x dev time.

And thats all fine if you are only doing one thing, but if the testers are already balls deep in testing something else then its got to wait.

(And no I'm not being sarcastic)
  • Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 08:09:58 pm by Alberton
Chunder McBushpig and Chunder Struck

Reply #8
Lmao, never heard of a priority queue?

Also, I worked for a Top 3 FI in Canada for years doing future implementation / database management at a high-level site and I can tell you you don't know shit about banking test times or procedures lool. Prod env =/= only deployment sector. You pretty much never get a national rollout period. Only unimportant shit moves at a snails pace.

Don't understand why you guys are making 10000 excuses for moving an object out of a holding. Like I said, if this is a 4-6 week feature how long do you expect them to take to do Watchtowers and Warfronts? This isn't even a new feature. It's a function of the map editor.

You don't need a week long comprehensive testing cycle to test features of your editor that have already been tested. Do you not understand workflow? Before somebody uses the Print function on their word processor, do they have to run an automated test to make sure the feature works every time? Jesus christ.

Reply #9
"Short-term : 4-6 weeks" ok

Reply #10
Lmao, never heard of a priority queue?

Also, I worked for a Top 3 FI in Canada for years doing future implementation / database management at a high-level site and I can tell you you don't know shit about banking test times or procedures lool. Prod env =/= only deployment sector. You pretty much never get a national rollout period. Only unimportant shit moves at a snails pace.

Don't understand why you guys are making 10000 excuses for moving an object out of a holding. Like I said, if this is a 4-6 week feature how long do you expect them to take to do Watchtowers and Warfronts? This isn't even a new feature. It's a function of the map editor.

You don't need a week long comprehensive testing cycle to test features of your editor that have already been tested. Do you not understand workflow? Before somebody uses the Print function on their word processor, do they have to run an automated test to make sure the feature works every time? Jesus christ.

It's not the only thing they're doing though mate. Noone is saying it's a 4-6 week job. What they are saying is that it'll be implemented in 4-6 weeks. This includes dev time, test time and other work in the queue. It's not rocket science.

Not only that, only a dumbass DB admin would think it's just a drag and drop job.

You're actually an idiot.

Reply #11

You understand 3D modeling and World building within an existing client about as well as my wife.

Moving existing objects with programmed features already into the client is extremely more difficult than adding new objects. And it's Java modules in a C shell, it's not even a current game engine, which makes it even worse.

And I wouldn't rave about RoA' s programming chops, there is a reason their version of the DF client still runs like complete dogshit

Reply #12
must....

have.....

MAGIC PATCH!!!!!
They say you are what you eat
I took the star outta starvation.

Reply #13
Yeah I'd like to do more than 17 damage with a bolt against melee players while they hit me 50 in front thanks.
Azmoodeus Barnmere
Garbage Men

Reply #14
Yeah I'd like to do more than 17 damage with a bolt against melee players while they hit me 50 in front thanks.
BUT MAGES ARE OP THEY HAVE 1 SECOND LONG BLINDS AND PLENTY OF SICK UTILITY
ADD ME ON SNAPCHAT: PETIT_CHAT69

You should recomend the game to new players. It's never been in a better state