Skip to main content

Topic: Why not play RoA? (Read 4233 times) previous topic - next topic

• Dagbu
  • [*][*][*]
Re: Why not play RoA?
Reply #135
I guess you should change the title of this thread to "Why not pay RoA?".
Dark Zlog

• Devil
  • [*][*]
Reply #136
Games going under.
Far from it. This means they could keep server up still without further development. Even then, there's always going to be one or two programmers who can do some coding part-time. Future isn't too bright but it's not going under.

Keeping the servers up for what?

Without continued development any MMO would die.  On top of that both RoA and DND would be dead weight without development due to them both being in a shitty state. 

What I took away from that as a game dev myself is...

"If we don't find a way to begin making a profit so that we can pay people properly and turn this into a viable business we will be forced to shut down."

I kinda figured a while ago they must be losing money and just coasting off their early sales.  Glad I have yet to be wrong about how RoA is doing.  They've made some positive moves over the past few patches... but it won't be enough.

I took away from it that they continue to be passionate about this and not trying to just turn a profit. They have always been a team for passion and not a big business minded one, they truly care about it and that's why they've been able to develop an mmo with virtually all volunteers for almost 3 years. I will gladly support that kind of team who's open and honest. I hope they don't slow down and I put money into the game for the first time(played on free time and got game time tokens to play) primarily to support them, though the high end runebook was a nice bonus too.

I started as a dnd fan and still am on the local only stuff but there's so much missing here and the altfall bullshit and seemingly lack of care/action by ub3r to adjust course after being clearly shown how bad they fucked up has sucked all desire to play here even for free.

Passion projects don't pay the bills nor do they allow people to save up for retirement.  I too agree they are passionate, but passion will only take people so far before the pinche of having no income takes root.  If RoA is losing them money and they end up going into debt to keep it running the only logical choice they will have is to close shop.  They will not keep the server up if the game isn't able to support itself.

They said themselves current subs cover costs + 2 full time devs. They also said they wanted to hire more people instead of keeping them all on volunteer basis.

Reply #137
Games going under.
Far from it. This means they could keep server up still without further development. Even then, there's always going to be one or two programmers who can do some coding part-time. Future isn't too bright but it's not going under.

Without continued development any MMO would die.  On top of that both RoA and DND would be dead weight without development due to them both being in a shitty state. 

"If we don't find a way to begin making a profit so that we can pay people properly and turn this into a viable business we will be forced to shut down."

I kinda figured a while ago they must be losing money and just coasting off their early sales.  Glad I have yet to be wrong about how RoA is doing.  They've made some positive moves over the past few patches... but it won't be enough.

I took away from it that they continue to be passionate about this and not trying to just turn a profit. They have always been a team for passion and not a big business minded one, they truly care about it and that's why they've been able to develop an mmo with virtually all volunteers for almost 3 years. I will gladly support that kind of team who's open and honest. I hope they don't slow down and I put money into the game for the first time(played on free time and got game time tokens to play) primarily to support them, though the high end runebook was a nice bonus too.

I started as a dnd fan and still am on the local only stuff but there's so much missing here and the altfall bullshit and seemingly lack of care/action by ub3r to adjust course after being clearly shown how bad they fucked up has sucked all desire to play here even for free.

Passion projects don't pay the bills nor do they allow people to save up for retirement.  I too agree they are passionate, but passion will only take people so far before the pinche of having no income takes root.  If RoA is losing them money and they end up going into debt to keep it running the only logical choice they will have is to close shop.  They will not keep the server up if the game isn't able to support itself.

They said themselves current subs cover costs + 2 full time devs. They also said they wanted to hire more people instead of keeping them all on volunteer basis.

Correction.  They said current subs allow them to pay 2 people to work on the game full-time.  Not that the money allows them to pay those 2 a standard developers salary.  For all you know the amount those two get paid barely covers their rent and living expenses.  How long are they going to be willing to work for peanuts? Let us also keep in mind they said they are burning through their launch money to pay those two people and that once that money is gone they are LOSING MONEY.  So no, they are not making enough money through subs to pay anyone.

At some point they need to look at the game as a business.  Is it worth investing more time into or are they better off moving on?  If the game isn't able to grow I doubt it will still be around by this time next year.
  • Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 06:06:09 pm by KevinDL

Reply #138
Games going under.

At some point they need to look at the game as a business.  
money business killed all good mmorpgs,moron.They need to look at the game only as fanatic idea.

Reply #139
Games going under.

Correction.  They said current subs allow them to pay 2 people to work on the game full-time.  Not that the money allows them to pay those 2 a standard developers salary.  For all you know the amount those two get paid barely covers their rent and living expenses.  How long are they going to be willing to work for peanuts? Let us also keep in mind they said they are burning through their launch money to pay those two people and that once that money is gone they are LOSING MONEY.  So no, they are not making enough money through subs to pay anyone.

At some point they need to look at the game as a business.  Is it worth investing more time into or are they better off moving on?  If the game isn't able to grow I doubt it will still be around by this time next year.
From their posts the game is growing steadily since it bottomed out in December I think they said, also looking at a lot of posts from players that have been there a while they corroborate the claim. They have added to the shop plus plan to go full freemium which is the only chance either game has to succeed, subscription has failed both but only one realises it so far...

Edit: Also to think revitalizing DF is a smart business move would be stupid, it was and is a  massive uphill battle that only someone who loves the game would attempt.
  • Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 06:26:30 pm by BobbyJoe

• mrW
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #140
Games going under.

At some point they need to look at the game as a business.  
money business killed all good mmorpgs,moron.They need to look at the game only as fanatic idea.
this. best things in life are free!!!

"Our title system is an expansion of the titles in the same spirit than the destroyer title. These will NOT be classes and will be completely optional."