Skip to main content

Topic: Discussion: Meditating on the near future (Read 8840 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Discussion: Meditating on the near future
Reply #30
@_SeeD_  and @HyperDimensionX
This was just an early warning for those that do read our updates until the end.
So that the faithfus, can prepare and stock up on canned food for the weeks to come. We'll do proper announcements when we get closer to D day.

@Prometheus
There won't be all the changes, but there will not be a wipe between the stress test and the InDev period.
So it does count as the start of InDev, be prepared!

@Kozzion
We're leaning towards 6 months.
With the way most of the advantages from a stat or passive skill comes in the early points, we feel we can have a long time to max out, because viability will come much sooner. Adding long term appeal to the game.
The Darkfall: New Dawn Dev Team.

Reply #31
For the rest, the game will mostly be the same.
So imagine how long you would think a spell should take to level up in the old meta, and we can start from there.

You mean the meta where I had to level up 10 magic schools and corresponding support skills, and some 40 spells to be considered as a viable mage? Also, you mentioned that spells, abilities, and attribute scores will be frontloaded rather than scaling linearly, and haven't yet made any concrete decision as far as spell distribution for the magic school progression (ie. will we need to level up school to 80+ before getting access to more powerful spells?) And lastly- are you going to follow the same non-linear spell aoe size progression, where you get rewarded for reaching the 25,50,75 milestones?

Assuming old meta, I don't think it should take more than 3 months to get your spells, schools, supporting abilities to 90%, and attributes to 70%. Let's assume 1 month for attributes to 70% and 2 months for schools to 90%, this leaves us with approximately 18 hours per spell/ability/school to reach 90%.

Somehow I doubt that this old meta calculation will fit in within your new design.

Reply #32
So imagine how long you would think a spell should take to level up in the old meta, and we can start from there.

You mean the meta where I had to level up 10 magic schools and corresponding support skills, and some 40 spells to be considered as a viable mage? Also, you mentioned that spells, abilities, and attribute scores will be frontloaded rather than scaling linearly, and haven't yet made any concrete decision as far as spell distribution for the magic school progression (ie. will we need to level up school to 80+ before getting access to more powerful spells?) And lastly- are you going to follow the same non-linear spell aoe size progression, where you get rewarded for reaching the 25,50,75 milestones?

Assuming old meta, I don't think it should take more than 3 months to get your spells, schools, supporting abilities to 90%, and attributes to 70%. Let's assume 1 month for attributes to 70% and 2 months for schools to 90%, this leaves us with approximately 18 hours per spell/ability/school to reach 90%.

Somehow I doubt that this old meta calculation will fit in within your new design.

They said they are aiming for 6 months. Dont over think it.
Ingame names
New Dawn: Kenshiro Ryu
Dragon Empire SG
Help defend the Humanlands! Join us!
Are you the Dragon Hero of Legends?

Reply #33

That's too soon to be that skilled for my taste (whether in magic or anything else).

But with the title system they'll be bringing in I think the intention is to enable people to be truly PvP viable without having to be master of everything.

Reply #34
Overthinking?  As in opposed to not thinking at all, or reading without comprehension?

There is a fundamental difference between raising your skill from 90% to a 100% with diminishing returns in place. Also, my calculation didn't suggest maxed out character, nor 4hour per day play-sessions, as referenced in the @Ub3rgames answer.
But try not to overthink it.
  • Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 08:03:16 pm by nietoperz

Reply #35
Hello, DFO player from the past here - glad I finally registered to the forums.

AMS: 3 weeks free accounts for stresstesting. What about multi accounts, which was usual in DFO? Will it be unlimited, even on the final launch, or will there be a limit per IP / machine?

how long should spells, skills or attributes take to max out using the meditation system alone
excluding crafting/enchanting, I'd say 12 months to max out all combat relevant spells, skills and attributes. Which would be like 6? months when actively playing & meditating offline.

uses that would impact high end players the most so that meditation points sources remain relevant to them
for example something like "enchanting luck" or studying a book to influence the next Q5 enchants.
a +%duration food buff could also work for higher end players, just let them meditate on a bookshelf about the real healthy diet.

• Fnights
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #36
Masteries will be locked in DnD, only dedicated crafters with an active title system can unlock them, and even with a title you can't raise and master everything anyway, so crafting/enchanting is not an issue since only dedicated players will raise it (this is their playstyle and so their skills/stats to grind).
DnD full roadmap
Darkfall Online (Eu-1)
2009~2012
DF1 broken issues

Reply #37
hey @Ub3rgames  can you tell us what type of payments you will accept?  Paypal? Credit Card? ACH? I hope Paypal is included.

• Bish
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #38
Hell, even six months is too quick for me. As long as the power gap is significantly closer and the title system will enable viable pvp options for all play styles (melee/archer/mage/hybrid), I'd say go a year. Min/maxing sucks all the fun out of games.
I'm not here to be the top pvp'er, I'm here to have an adventure, grow my character, create a story, build a legacy.. even if it's just in my own head ;)
Biash Aldanari - Wardens

Suggestion for level progression in Darkfall New Dawn.
Reply #39
@Ub3rgames
Fast version:

Slow version:

• Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 10:09:37 pm by CeliahAiley

• Fnights
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #40
Hell, even six months is too quick for me. As long as the power gap is significantly closer and the title system will enable viable pvp options for all play styles (melee/archer/mage/hybrid), I'd say go a year. Min/maxing sucks all the fun out of games.
I'm not here to be the top pvp'er, I'm here to have an adventure, grow my character, create a story, build a legacy.. even if it's just in my own head ;)

Well, if you want a desert game. Nobody want to join the game later and be force to grind for a year to close the gap, expecially in a competitive mmorpg like DF. The more you keep character progression long the more you will lose players overtime, expecially people with low free time that are the standard today.

6 months to max your "build" is pretty enought from a casual standpoint (3-4 hours a day + meditation), if you want more then go for the hybrid vanilla way and learn every skill/spell to 100.
DnD full roadmap
Darkfall Online (Eu-1)
2009~2012
DF1 broken issues

• Bish
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #41

Well, if you want a desert game. Nobody want to join the game later and be force to grind for a year to close the gap, expecially in a competitive mmorpg like DF. The more you keep character progression long the more you will lose players overtime, expecially people with low free time that are the standard today.

6 months to max your "build" is pretty enought from a casual standpoint (3-4 hours a day + meditation), if you want more then go for the hybrid vanilla way and learn every skill/spell to 100.
This time I will emphasize. That's why I said "As long as the power gap is SIGNIFICANTLY closer and the title system will enable VIABLE pvp options for all play styles".
Not a deal breaker for me by any means. I just appreciate long-term growth.
Biash Aldanari - Wardens

Reply #42
There are a lot of people who appreciate long term growth and there are a lot of people who get annoyed and discouraged from a grind.

How do you make the right decision and make each player type happy?

Reply #43
Titles.

We hope :)

• Fnights
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #44
There are a lot of people who appreciate long term growth and there are a lot of people who get annoyed and discouraged from a grind.

How do you make the right decision and make each player type happy?

A compromise, not too long not too short, 6 months of casual play to max you build (skills at 100) but viable in a week or so (skills at 75), so people interested to max and gain the slighty advantage can have their 6 months progression (and more if you decide to stay hybrid and learn everything). Everyone happy both hardcore and casuals.
  • Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 11:51:22 pm by Fnights
DnD full roadmap
Darkfall Online (Eu-1)
2009~2012
DF1 broken issues