Skip to main content

Topic: Ub3r failing to help the markets  (Read 1461 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Ub3r failing to help the markets
Reply #30
@CistaCista @Brown Dorf
Is it only a matter of convenience, that you feel you have to babysit markets too much?

For the variable time/fees, we see it as a reward system, not as a punishment system.
That's really a notion we want to keep in the game. Even if we tweak the durations of the "default" or the fees, we want a way for better traders to make better margins by taking more risks or being more active.

But we think that the missing ingredient might very well be buy orders.
It would give directions rather than having every single person trying to sell need to be market savvy.
If buy orders are frequent and consistent, then it gets easier to pro-actively sell things at the regular buy order price, because that's the value customers give to the item.

Right now, people have to guess/experiment with what a certain market is starved for.
It seems most people are too risk averse, and those that do get their goods taken so quickly that they do not remain as an indicator to others that a trade has occurred and can be done at that location.
The Darkfall: New Dawn Dev Team.

Reply #31
@ub3rgames I'm not a trader, I'm a consumer. I shouldn't have to babysit markets at all to buy basic items.

The fact that I couldn't buy a mount, not even an overpriced one, in a race capitol is a huge problem. And i dont think buy orders are enough to solve it.
  • Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 10:41:17 pm by Brown Dorf

Reply #32
Is it only a matter of convenience, that you feel you have to babysit markets too much?
It is a matter of the balance between profit and risk. As a trader I have to benefit from a profit margin that is unpredictable. I may expect the profit margin to be 30%, but a) I may misjudge it by 10%, and b) the price might drop 10%. If I then pay a 7-day tax of 10%, then my profit for doing all this work is 0%.

Therefore all my sell orders are for 1 day, and they are for amounts of goods small enough that I know that the average buyer will take in full, or else I lose money when my order runs out. Now when a buyer comes that wants twice as much or three times as much, he won't be able to get that, because as trader I could not risk setting up a larger order.

This is the picture of a dysfunctional market system, but only because the fees are too high, the durations too short, and there are no buy orders. It can easily be fixed and the market interface is great. 

The problem is, you have the mistaken perception that the high fees give the better trader an advantage of the poorer trader. That is nonsense, it is the better skill of the trader that gives him the advantage over the poorer trader. The better trader will outcompete the worse trader no matter what the fees are. The difference is only that the market itself suffers from stifling fees. The buyers that come to the market will find there are fewer items because fewer items are profitable for traders to buy and resell and distribute to new markets.
  • Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 11:57:11 pm by CistaCista

Reply #33
@ub3rgames I'm not a trader, I'm a consumer. I shouldn't have to babysit markets at all to buy basic items.

The fact that I couldn't buy a mount, not even an overpriced one, in a race capitol is a huge problem. And i dont think buy orders are enough to solve it.

I recommend to stock up on mounts with a person to person trade and try not to run out so you don't have to pay for an overpriced mount. Do you know who makes mounts in your racial? Find out. The market isn't an established, booming place right now and you can't blame it all on listing fees, duration, and so forth. It's not WoW lel.

The difference is only that the market itself suffers from stifling fees.
welcome to DND :)

• PANZERBUNNY
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #34
Mounts go for about 1k.

Reply #35

I recommend to stock up on mounts with a person to person trade and try not to run out so you don't have to pay for an overpriced mount. Do you know who makes mounts in your racial? Find out. The market isn't an established, booming place right now and you can't blame it all on listing fees, duration, and so forth. It's not WoW lel.
I have more mounts than I could use in months. They were all on another continent. I'm in a clan that provides me with anything I need. Working markets don't really even affect how I play except for the fact that they are potentially a huge source of convenience and player retention.  I don't expect to be able to buy stacks of rare ores everywhere I go, but basic items so people can scrape by should be readily available.

• PANZERBUNNY
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #36
^^^^^

That's the problem. When any player says a working market doesn't effect them, it means Gold being your mono currency and not only thrown at, but apparently trying to DROWN Clans in Gold. There is no point in trying to figure out an economy or AH when that kind of wealth destruction can be wielded. I hope someone does. I hope someone waits for some sense of balance be reached with the economy and then troll it with a million gold just to show how being proactive about a potential problem is probably the best way to go and not hide behind excuses like Clans aren't considered in AH or economic balance.

Mono currency. The problem.  Gold used for everything. The problem. Having a PVP war dec currency would actually take them out of that balance. As long s they gain Gold, its a problem.

Tackle that and the options will unfold.
  • Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 12:33:05 am by PANZERBUNNY

Reply #37
I have more mounts than I could use in months. They were all on another continent. I'm in a clan that provides me with anything I need. Working markets don't really even affect how I play except for the fact that they are potentially a huge source of convenience and player retention.  I don't expect to be able to buy stacks of rare ores everywhere I go, but basic items so people can scrape by should be readily available.

Markets aren't necessary in the game and you can survive perfectly well without it. It's only minor.

Reply #38
The only thing marketplace is missing is the ability to look up info at distant markets to be able to decide what to transport and the ability to place more than 1 item at a time on market.

This is the kind of constructive criticism that helps the game improve. I completely agree with this suggestion (actually i suggested the same few days ago.
Being able to see what's in regional market can help traders to decide where to put their stuff at and/if trying to make a profit by, for example buying at city A and bringin that stuff at city B to sell it at a higher price

Reply #39
let's be honest

anyone with the talent to actually play the market is not the kind of person to waste time typing autismal shit on an mmorpg forum

ub3r you are not looking in the right place for good feedback on this

Reply #40
I would like to see the listing getting prolonged automatically in less frequent markets, so that stuff stays longer in there

Reply #41
Holy fuck ub3r please just go talk to an economist for like  5 mins, you have no idea how trade and labour functions...

In the meantime:
-lower taxes, and make them on sale only
-sell orders up to 1 month in duration
-buy orders up to 1 month in duration
-place more than 1 item at time
-ability to view other market inventories in the world somehow
-hauler title for moving around more material
-fastER travel for all (fast roads, not teleports sorta thing)

• Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 07:51:12 pm by Benevolence
Dont let your memes be dreams

• PANZERBUNNY
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #42
Instead of a title, just make a robe or laborer item you put on. Only apparel you can wear which lets you carry more shit. You could fold this "hauler concept" into laborer.

Reply #43
Markets and traders are bread and butter for DND.

They need more love!

Taxes, durations, and the interface.
It is not very pleasing to insert 50 items of armor atm :(
ingame: Dropkick Skibba

Reply #44
Instead of a title, just make a robe or laborer item you put on. Only apparel you can wear which lets you carry more shit. You could fold this "hauler concept" into laborer.

No, it should definitely be a title. it adds more choices and important decisions. :)

This is DND, not any other iteration of DF. Everything is slower, and more local. It is the way it is.