Skip to main content

Topic: The Purpose of Gold (Read 553 times) previous topic - next topic

The Purpose of Gold
After thinking about it for a while, I realized I don't really need any gold. I don't use it on anything. Mats are all that matter and prices on those are going up slowly. Easy enough to just give and get things inside clan without outsie interaction. Think that has to do with one main point.

Right now there is a lot of gold in the economy to some through villages, but there are not an equal amount of needed gold outlets in the game.

Gold Outlets
  • Reagants (Have over 10,000 of each don't think most people buy outside of maybe ash/mandrake)
  • Arrows
  • War decks (big one, but doesn't apply really to average person. Cost is huge though. )
  • Crafting will come soon, but not everyone has a crafter alt

In Df1, you used to grind for mats/gold to macro up and skill up. That is not the correct approach here, but there needs to be a use for gold outside arrows (main one in my clan). I'm unsure what these could be, but I'm sure they need to exist.

Re: The Purpose of Gold
Reply #1
i buy off marketplaces often and alot and i never have enough gold i need more.
Ingame names
New Dawn: Kenshiro Ryu
Dragon Empire SG
Help defend the Humanlands! Join us!
Are you the Dragon Hero of Legends?

Reply #2
Yeah I mean, the main outlet of gold now is not needing to have crafters and having people do it for you instead. We're all used to farming our own crafting mats and getting someone to make it. Now that's not an issue and everything is already made and waiting for you to buy it. So if you want more outlets for gold, stop using alts, stop crafting, and just use the market.

• Fnights
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
Because gold is less important than mats, i suspect that when people can make R50 nobody will sell them for gold, they will trade for mats required to make them.
This will damage lots of players who don't take part in big zerg alliances.

I told to Ub3r several times that gold mean nothing in this game, and let us place orders in the AH using mats as a form of payment.
DnD full roadmap
Darkfall Online (Eu-1)
2009~2012
DF1 broken issues

Reply #4
Uber made a travel simulator, where people would keep their assets liquid! Yeah, right. Noone travels, no use for global gold at all currently.

Either have it in safe zone and transport it safely, people can't kill you if you are on a mount, or have it in your holding to buy regs with it.

The fucked up part is imo that crafting does not involve much as a gold sink, so crafter only need the mats and they can spam trade in most populated cities to trade for mats. In Alfar chat prices for metal armor are expressed in iron ores, not gold.
There are several reasons for that:
- Crafters need too much items to get crafted to get next level, so they cannot bother about profit, as others will undercut them, just to level up their crafting (Soon we will be back to UW levels where crafters loose gold on crafting)
- Crafting items cost no gold. Crafting 1 troll staff should cost at least 50g, even if it's lower quality. I don't say next quality should cost 1k, but low quality crafting shall not be spammable because of a gold cost, to not be worth it. Ofc, again, too many crafting needed to level it up, for what? Because that is content? Usefull stuff still can't be crafted, arrows take too much time simply. Last time I asked my clanmate to craft me arrows, the reply I got was that it takes too much time, she would rather farm the arrows herself and keep the mats instead, at least she is doing something level her char.

The whole title system for crafting would work better if the titles would give economical benefit as well, and people were allowed to craft basic gear with:
- lower dura
- higher mats/gold cost
- only non mastery items

You would go to the market to buy a staff to level with for 100g instead of spending 100g yourself to get less dura. The person crafting it with title would require only 50g to craft it, so they can put up for profit for themselves, while others do not see that market transaction as a net loss.

Oh, and let's not forget the part where Uber said villages would be entry level PVP content. They are camped by the same strongest clans who gain a lot of gold to destroy economy, buying off mats at highest price noone can afford. You can see that when villages are capped, not much diversity in clan names.
  • Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 09:06:03 am by Eilistraee
IGN: "Eilis Traee"
However, you have to take into account why we are introducing local banking.
In New Dawn, its main purpose is to be a convenience feature.
"Things just got worse."

• Azdul
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #5
If you get killed and dry looted somewhere far away, you can still buy basic stuff (like mount) from nearest marketplace using global gold account. Or when you'll find the thing you're looking for at some marketplace by accident, and you want immediately buy it.

Noone will bother with bartering with crafters - it is just too much hassle when compared with global gold account.

Reply #6
Can someone kill and gank AnthonySlerb?

Reply #7
- Crafters need too much items to get crafted to get next level, so they cannot bother about profit, as others will undercut them, just to level up their crafting (Soon we will be back to UW levels where crafters loose gold on crafting)

I am 5-title crafter, I've consistently had 5-10% of the listings on the marketplace in Sanguine, and I am at a net loss compared to if I had sold the mats I farmed instead of crafting with them. If I want my prices to be competitive, I have to go under what it costs to create the item. Furthermore, there's just not enough flow on the market for me to be able to sell all the stuff I craft. We're talking at least 100 leather sets that I cannot sell, simply because nobody needs them enough. I'm at the point where I'd rather sell them at 50% loss, than be stuck with a huge supply of useless armor once studded/bone unlocks.

EDIT: Still have stupendous amounts of cloth+padded sets that will never be used/sold. Same with r0 weapons and staves.
  • Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 04:19:44 pm by saccade
Flopfall: New Dawn. Please buy 6 accounts.
SACCADE NEOS -- SIMIRAN

• Azdul
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #8
Still have stupendous amounts of cloth+padded sets that will never be used/sold. Same with r0 weapons and staves.
I guess some people (like me) will buy sacks and bags from low level tailors - but I don't think that cloth armor will be worth anything above vendor price.

Reply #9
Not to mention the durability goes down soooo slow, there's probably a million sets of banded out there because it never breaks.

• Otis
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
Low tier crafts should be sellable to npc merchants for decent profit. It should be the initial way crafters make their income until they've leveled their skill up to crafting higher tier more sought after items that can be sold at market for higher margins.

Reply #11
at least you can sell the stuff at all.  Old darkfall just vendored it for like 1g. I agree about durability though.  I think I've had maybe 2 peices of gear break so far.  Granted I don't grind mobs all that much. 

Reply #12
Not to mention the durability goes down soooo slow, there's probably a million sets of banded out there because it never breaks.
This is surely an issue indeed. Stuff last way too long and it will inevitably lead to an huge influx of new items before the old one breaks from consumption.

Reply #13
The worse thing is that we still need to craft tons of items to lvl up.

@Ub3rgames  you have to stop this madness.

Why have titles and time locks when we still have to craft hundred of items to make the next lvl item?
Why not have titles only tell us what we can craft. And skill only tell us how good we can craft it, durability, minor dmg increase.

I mean didn't you learned from past DFs? They all had massive problems due to this single thing, that everyone needed to craft hundreds of items and it flooded the market. You do it again and you even have a solution, make it time based only. Make the skill give us more dmg and durability but don't let skill determine if you can craft the next rank item.

Reply #14
The worse thing is that we still need to craft tons of items to lvl up.

@Ub3rgames  you have to stop this madness.

Why have titles and time locks when we still have to craft hundred of items to make the next lvl item?
Why not have titles only tell us what we can craft. And skill only tell us how good we can craft it, durability, minor dmg increase.

I mean didn't you learned from past DFs? They all had massive problems due to this single thing, that everyone needed to craft hundreds of items and it flooded the market. You do it again and you even have a solution, make it time based only. Make the skill give us more dmg and durability but don't let skill determine if you can craft the next rank item.
Definitely agree. Since crafting is already tied to title, and time gated, there is no need to make crafters also have to craft thousands of items to level up, since it will just flood the market with stuff, which in the end will cut profit/interest in playing as a crafter