Skip to main content

Topic: Opinions on fast travel after playing. (Read 9341 times) previous topic - next topic

• BlackSun
  • [*][*][*]
Re: Opinions on fast travel after playing.
Reply #30
i dont want too much instant travel neither, but to be honest running for hours and hours is just boring af

if there was at least a bindstone recall once and hour or 5x a day - something like that.

we will never see big sieges because people dont wanna travel endlessly to probably die in a few minutes. the massive organisation before a siege will happen with local banking and walking simulation is ridicolous. ever thought about that?

its you think there will be race wars - war over what? which benefits? is there even a point in doing so? racial buffs? passive income? something other than slaughtering the supposed lesser race?

what about houses? worth owning a house? other than a 2nd bank - IF you are lucky enough to get a safe? u need to travel to your house - remote houses like in hundvin etc will be forgotten about because of no use - people dont even walk there to get med points and gold.

things people obviously haven't thought about

no one is  forcing you to run for hours to far away lands except yourself. Not so easy to get to the best spots now is it? If everyone can teleport to the best spots then how can it become valuable and an adventure to get there and make it back in 1 piece?

reading comprehension is a bitch. try again

Reply #31
I could add stuff like we will fight the same people over and over again - the ones next to us. boring?

its fun to go to a neighbour region in the first weeks - killing mob farmers or miners. but how long will it last?

i for once will probably never see niflheim or ruby again, simply because it takes me ages to get there. i dont have ready bags there - especially later when the needed gear level will be higher to sustain.
sure i could pack a mount full with 2 ready bags and maybe an extra mount - but risking this just to see nifl again? sorry thats stupid.

these acitivities are for large clans - solo players and small groups will be fucked

Yeah its kinda sad really, and it sucks that we have to see yet another darkfall die to change people's minds, UNLESS they make it easier. Im not going to yssam again, its ridiculous. I would have probably quit there and then if i died and lost my mount,

There's being a ''hardcore'' game and then there's just being plain stupid. Put in recalls and house teleports, i think that would be a step in the right direction.

Bro when i heard on comms for the yassam adventure i knew it was a bad idea, its too early to run off so far yet without a plan and getting used to new dawn first, lets take baby steps and next time say NO to Celiahs bad ideas and let him go himself lol
Ingame names
New Dawn: Kenshiro Ryu
Dragon Empire SG
Help defend the Humanlands! Join us!
Are you the Dragon Hero of Legends?

• BlackSun
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #32
I could add stuff like we will fight the same people over and over again - the ones next to us. boring?

its fun to go to a neighbour region in the first weeks - killing mob farmers or miners. but how long will it last?

i for once will probably never see niflheim or ruby again, simply because it takes me ages to get there. i dont have ready bags there - especially later when the needed gear level will be higher to sustain.
sure i could pack a mount full with 2 ready bags and maybe an extra mount - but risking this just to see nifl again? sorry thats stupid.

these acitivities are for large clans - solo players and small groups will be fucked

Yeah its kinda sad really, and it sucks that we have to see yet another darkfall die to change people's minds, UNLESS they make it easier. Im not going to yssam again, its ridiculous. I would have probably quit there and then if i died and lost my mount,

There's being a ''hardcore'' game and then there's just being plain stupid. Put in recalls and house teleports, i think that would be a step in the right direction.

Bro when i heard on comms for the yassam adventure i knew it was a bad idea, its too early to run off so far yet without a plan and getting used to new dawn first, lets take baby steps and next time say NO to Celiahs bad ideas and let him go himself lol

again. next try

and btw I wasn't there. I talk about the general problem here

• Azdul
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #33
What are you supposed to do if you run from mid map to Yssam for some PVP, die, respawn on Yssam with nothing in your bank? Walk back to mid map on foot? Sounds greatttttttttttt

Gold is global - so you'll be able to buy a mount and some basic gear at nearest marketplace, even if you're far away from your base.

If there is recall, you will always have high level gear, and buy only from clan crafters or Sanguine marketplace. New Dawn would basically become European server of RoA.

If there is fast travel, whole world can support no more than 20 crafters, and there are no local powers and no local economy. It would be good for top level competitive PvP, but we already have RoA for that.

• Ciez
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #34
So if I die and respawn at Axtal Run on Yssam I have to walk naked to Tolenque, hope there's a mount on the market and then run/swim all the way back to the mainland. What if there is no mount on the market?

Why would allowing naked recalls to a bindstone screw with the economy? I'm not saying we need tons of fast travel, but the current system has a lot of glaring flaws. It's also going to make finding PVP a lot more difficult, which is already a problem DF has had.

Also the mount stam drain is insane. Slow riding a mount, running out of stam, find some one to fight - jk out of stam, can't fight.

Reply #35
So if I die and respawn at Axtal Run on Yssam I have to walk naked to Tolenque, hope there's a mount on the market and then run/swim all the way back to the mainland. What if there is no mount on the market?
I know you're going to disagree with me when I say this, but if you're afraid of the consequences of your actions, don't do it? Have some preparations in place? Removing fast travel gives meaning to your decisions, you can do anything you want, go everywhere, but there is no "get out of prison for free card" every 30 minutes or whenever. You have to pay the toll and as I said since you figured out the possible consequences you can either work to ease them by banking mounts anywhere close to where you expect to die or you just have to endure.

• Ciez
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #36
I know you're going to disagree with me when I say this, but if you're afraid of the consequences of your actions, don't do it? Have some preparations in place? Removing fast travel gives meaning to your decisions, you can do anything you want, go everywhere, but there is no "get out of prison for free card" every 30 minutes or whenever. You have to pay the toll and as I said since you figured out the possible consequences you can either work to ease them by banking mounts anywhere close to where you expect to die or you just have to endure.

There's a big difference between dealing with consequences (losing your precious pixels) and downright absurdly tedious systems. I have no problems dealing with consequences, in fact it is why I'm a fan of DF and Eve and similar games.

Eve is way more hardcore than DFO, has a better economy, and allows fast travel with limitations. I can't imagine how allowing naked recalls would do anything negative for the economy or game as a whole. Even in DF1 and ROA recalling with gear was never seen as a big problem (at least not as far as I'm aware.)

Heck, hardcore POE is probably more hardcore than DF.

Reply #37
Well it's probably so people choose to do stuff that is closer to their home base and global warfare develops as clans create multiple supply outposts. Logistics warfare is part of economy.
  • Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 12:00:34 pm by Kipsta

Reply #38
How to fix

1) Mounts build up speed up to 175% of normal while travelling on roads. Time to max speed is 20 seconds. All speed bonus is lost for 5 seconds if you take any damage, resetting build-up.

2) Allow recalls to houses to make them have an actual use. Empty inventory only.

This will result in:
- Easier cross-continent travel by using roads
- Easier to ambush 'caravans' by camping roads
- Houses have value
- Goods will still have to be transported back and forth between your house/city
- Travel is less of a chore
Flopfall: New Dawn. Please buy 6 accounts.
SACCADE NEOS -- SIMIRAN

• Ciez
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #39
Well it's probably so people choose to do stuff that is closer to their home base and global warfare develops as clans create multiple supply outposts. Logistics warfare is part of economy.

Logistics requires the ability to move mass amounts of things relatively quickly/easy/safely. DND doesn't have that ability.

Good luck convoying your entire clan's bank halfway across Agon the slow way. I'm sure no one will come wipe out your clan bank. It's hardcore though I guess so it has to stay that way, right?

Reply #40
Don't get me wrong I love the idea of a localised economy and localised banking, these aspects create a real MMO with a functioning economy and the ability to profit from trading and ganking.

However, people don't want to spend this large of a portion of their gameplay time traveling.

So I suggest 1 or both of these options (both preferable):

- An AFK traveling mechanic (autopathing). Given the scale of the world, and its design this autopath would have to have designated areas (a red line network for example covering the world map, covering all the major cities / islands / holdings, if you turn on autopathing whilst not on a red line, it would autorun directly to the closest point on the line potentially crashing on the way). Both EVE online and Black Desert have an auto travel mechanic, it works very well and doesn't detract from the gameplay at all. It adds to it.

- A network of paths which allow rapid travel speeds. A mount which dies in 1 hit but travels at 500% speed on these paths would be great. Or simply a toggle function for the current mounts which when enabled, after traveling for 30 seconds on a rapid travel path, you begin rapid traveling. With this toggle enabled, your mount dies in 1 hit (not necessarily 1 hit, and not necessarily 500%, but you get the picture). Traveling for more than 20 - 30 minutes isn't particularly enjoyable.

Reply #41
I had a lengthy discussion thread over fast travel a couple of moths ago and was heavily defending faster travel. But after explaining me how the localised philosophy is planned to turn out i understood why this has to be like it is- there cant be any fast travel. If it works out has to be seen.
You have to adapt to your general play area being now regional and not global. If you want to explore the world you have to move for a while. Going to Yssam to do a quick Fire Dragon is not feasable anymore.
  • Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 12:30:34 pm by elektrofux

• Azdul
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #42
What if there is no mount on the market?
I'm pretty sure that mounts will be available on every market, just heavily overpriced.

Why would allowing naked recalls to a bindstone screw with the economy?
At some point you'll have 10+ ready bags in bank in your clan city, with gear bought from clan crafters - and if you can recall back to it - you'll never buy anything outside your clan.

Also the mount stam drain is insane. Slow riding a mount, running out of stam, find some one to fight - jk out of stam, can't fight.

I agree that travelling needs to be improved.

We need fast mounts and fast ships - and ways to transport 20+ ready bags at once. But it should never take you out from the world - like recall does.  Travelling should be made more convenient, but there should always be risk that someone will ambush you on your way.

• Ciez
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #43
At some point you'll have 10+ ready bags in bank in your clan city, with gear bought from clan crafters - and if you can recall back to it - you'll never buy anything outside your clan.

As if the current travel mechanics promote buying from anyone outside your clan. They actively hinder that more than being able to recall outside of the niche scenario where you're stuck halfway across the world without any gear/items. At which point you're probably just buying a mount and YOLO'ing it back home. Or AFK walking while watching Twitch or Netflix.

At least previously you could meet up with a crafter (take Sithras for example, which only a few people were able to do for a long time in DF1), make your purchase, then recall back home.

Reply #44
I just love DF without those stupid hyper-drive jumps. Devs did well.