Skip to main content

Topic: spawn scaling - looting (Read 346 times) previous topic - next topic

spawn scaling - looting
So, new players will fight together on spawns. How will loot be sorted out?

Re: spawn scaling - looting
Reply #1
You walk up to a grave and loot it.

Reply #2
You walk up to a grave and loot it.
So if few people unknown to each other meet on spawn, level it up and then farm (the story ub3rgames told us few times) this mechanic of "who opens grave first loots all" is supposed to create racial bond? Prevent griefing?

Reply #3
Well the spawn scales with number of players so you get harder mobs, more skillups per hit and more loot per kill. Sure it's possible to leech and just loot,  but you'd get no skills and have to run around trying to loot faster than all the other guys,  including the one who last hit the mob in melee and is on top of the grave when it spawns.

Reply #4
Lots of things are unfinished. Devs have run out of time. Grin and bear it.

If we have a smooth launch with stable servers, then that's a great start.

Reply #5
Well the spawn scales with number of players so you get harder mobs, more skillups per hit and more loot per kill. Sure it's possible to leech and just loot,  but you'd get no skills and have to run around trying to loot faster than all the other guys,  including the one who last hit the mob in melee and is on top of the grave when it spawns.
What if there is one mob only? Golem level4 for example?

Lots of things are unfinished. Devs have run out of time. Grin and bear it.

If we have a smooth launch with stable servers, then that's a great start.
I'm in a clan. This does not bother me at all. Lack of loot laws will only affect new players. As a tradition in darkfall they are always fucked. And then you will blame another failed darkfall on community. While devs fucked up again. AV 2.0,
  • Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 07:42:22 pm by wildNothing

• gosti
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
Actually 3.0, 2.0 reserved for BPG.

Reply #7
You could maybe pay the other players to give you the loot?  :D
Be creative dude  :P

Also, not all players (not even most) are jerks.
Don't project your thinking on others.

Reply #8
You could maybe pay the other players to give you the loot?  :D
Be creative dude  :P

Also, not all players (not even most) are jerks.
Don't project your thinking on others.

Game is designed (commercialized) toward old DF players. Majority are jerks. Fortunately we won't have that high pop, so you will be able to find empty spawns.

I'm more concerned about part 2:07 -> https://youtu.be/e8Yjn90fqR8?t=127
IGN: "Eilis Traee"
However, you have to take into account why we are introducing local banking.
In New Dawn, its main purpose is to be a convenience feature.
"Things just got worse."

Reply #9
Game is designed (commercialized) toward old DF players.
Completely reasonable - they're easier to turn into paying customers than people who never have heard of DF.
Are you aware that many more players played DF for just a few weeks/months than players who played for years,
and that all those people (who already know about DF and have an interest on its concepts) are probably easier to gain for DND then the average all-I-ever-played-is-WoW-MMO gamer?
Attracting other audiences is step 2.

Majority are jerks.
Did you play back then?
The majority of DFO players were and are not loud forum-warriors.
Many of those belong to the very dedicated DFO fanbase, true, but I would question the view that they are a good (statistical correct) representation of the DFO players in general. And quite a bunch are just 4chan-style internet-trolls.

Fortunately we won't have that high pop, so you will be able to find empty spawns.
Possibly true. I would expect the population to rise over time after launch.
The DFO players who still like this game saw quite a number of re-launches already, many will wait until their friends tell them that this launch works out. Some will not have heard yet that DF is back.

I'm more concerned about part 2:07 -> https://youtu.be/e8Yjn90fqR8?t=127
[it is about economy]
True point, even more so when DND is making the economy very significant.
In the original it was mostly grind and nothing else.
All what the dedicated traders could offer was some bulk logistics, selling a bit of comfort.
Now this will be very different.

Question is if the devs can identify and fix problematic imbalances quickly enough.
I see so far no indication why they shouldn't, they appear to monitor and analyse the stuff and already showed that they're able to make decisions.

you will be able to find empty spawns.
It was only rarely an issue in the initial original first launch (and afaik no issue on any on the launches since then), it will most likely be no issue.

Also people can now find easily less crowded spawns via the map.
In the original you had to find all spawn locations yourself.

Reply #10
Question is not fixing problematic imbalances. Dedicated players will be always ahead and have it easy, if you nerf on that side, casuals suffer too much. They already suffer too much if you ask me due to lack of content. People say how good devs are and shit, but we didn't see any way they added or even plan to add content and FUN activity. Bank and travel simulation is more TEDIUM for most people than FUN. You can argue that this game if made for those kind of players, and not for most of us. That could be true, time will tell, but this game's content is based on players entirely. Without a critical mass, gg. Devs claiming 7k playerbase or whatever isn't helping either. I played all of in-dev from 2016 September and didn't feel that the game even had 500 players at any point. (And that looking at sever race/race alliance chats and be in several clans)

I would say current 80% of playerbase is here for DF's unique combat or what's left of it. These dedicated crafters/trader are in vast minority. If you think of it, they should be, because they provide a service and you don't need as many crafters/traders as *normal* players. This all works fine, except what is content and fun for that 20%, for those 80% it generates a huge amount of tedium. Global markets worked perfectly in UW, even with declining population, they were always full and you could buy everything, except at the last year when basically noone (noone -> same people who tested this game and RoA) played. Ofc the fuckup with new bank gui that made a full week outage and soft wipe didn't help either. Portals were perfect as well, a vey good strategic choke or camp point.

Compared to AV, at least these devs smoke test their stuff, I give them that, but that is nowhere enough, that is just baseline for a software company.

TLDR version:

Local banking and traveling simulation is supposed to save this game, as devs and many claim, but that feature doesn't matter at all if there is population. It's not something that helps getting population, but something that increases the critical mass required for the games survival...

...and we are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRYbMDM6iOU

This is not a fact, it's my oppinion.
IGN: "Eilis Traee"
However, you have to take into account why we are introducing local banking.
In New Dawn, its main purpose is to be a convenience feature.
"Things just got worse."