Skip to main content

Topic: Turning Rogue when stealing a players mount (Read 616 times) previous topic - next topic

• Morad
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Turning Rogue when stealing a players mount
I thought that a player turns Rogue when stealing a mount ?

Apparently this is not the case.
Were there not plans to implement this, or did the devs change their minds  ?
  • Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 08:29:36 am by Morad

Re: Turning Rouge when stealing a players mount
Reply #1
It is still planned, but before doing that we need to solve issues with mounts being used as a way to block/grief other players.
Not forgotten, just lower priority than other things.
The Darkfall: New Dawn Dev Team.

• Morad
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
Ahh, ok.
Was curious as I witnessed a horse thief in an NPC city.

I watched in glee as the thief hopped on another players mount with a highly anticipated ZAP from the
Guard towers..... that never happened.    Hahaha

I'm assuming this would include attacking a players mount also.

• Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 04:10:09 am by Morad

Reply #3
Attacking a player mount is already in, but only turns rogue for 10 seconds in a row.
The Darkfall: New Dawn Dev Team.

Reply #4
I do think this issue is greater than you realize, and it's a must have for launch, or let me rephrase, a must have for when the game is advertised for the masses, bc atm I'm not sure that will be the launch.

Stealing mount is nr 1 grief factor of newbies.
Blocking people into buildings is nr 2.

I do not know a solution for nr 2, does anyone? How was in UW? Why wasn't this there a problem? I know pushing afk people with mounts was, but why couldn't you block people into buildings in safe zone?
IGN: "Eilis Traee"
However, you have to take into account why we are introducing local banking.
In New Dawn, its main purpose is to be a convenience feature.
"Things just got worse."

Reply #5
@Eilistraee think using mounts to block bank access in NPC cities. That's going to be an interesting work around.

• Morad
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
I do think this issue is greater than you realize, and it's a must have for launch, or let me rephrase, a must have for when the game is advertised for the masses, bc atm I'm not sure that will be the launch.

Stealing mount is nr 1 grief factor of newbies.
Blocking people into buildings is nr 2.

I do not know a solution for nr 2, does anyone? How was in UW? Why wasn't this there a problem? I know pushing afk people with mounts was, but why couldn't you block people into buildings in safe zone?

@Ub3rgames

Eilistraee brings up a very important point about the mount stealing "As a Way of Life" in NPC cities,
that not all new players will be aware of.

For those of us who have played Darkfall, we know, that in order to safe guard our mount,
we need to dismount and despawn our mount at least 100+ kilometers away from the NPC city,
and any players that might be lurking in the area.

New players will not know this.
There is a strong likelihood that a new players 1st mount acquired from the quest that you added, 
will more than likely fall victim to a mount thief, as the player dismounts near an NPC bank,
and starts the lengthy process of despawning their mount.
They will be sad, and probably confused.

Are you planning on providing safeguards to minimize this for launch ?
If not, what additional tool tips will be added that informs players the risks of dismounting near other players ?

One might argue that after a player loses "x" number of mounts from players stealing it, that they will learn.
Let us hope that this learning process is not too harsh.

An added caveat, is a loaded up Mount Cargo box.
You cannot access the contents of the mount cargo box until you dismount.
Lord help those new players that have 600kg of precious cargo, deciding to "unload" their goods at the bank.

As it stands now, with a full mount cargo box, you will need to dismount far away from the city (100+ kilometers),
transfer items from mount to backpack, despawn mount, and slowwwwwwly shuffle your way to the bank,
seeing as you will more than likely be overburden.

Didn't UW have a timer where no one could take another players mount for a set period of time ?

Reply #7
I think regardless, mounting after the first time should be instant, but the first mounting on any mount should have a longer cast bar than unsummoning. You're essentially readjusting the saddle, getting the animals trust, ect.

then it's only a problem if you "leave the car running" when you get off of it in town, because anyone who wants to steal it has to wait a long cast bar.

should still flag you ofcourse if you steal a mount. maybe like 15 minutes of rogue - just to make them a bit of a punching bag, and to give a basic "this is not a positive player interaction" enforcement. So stealing is okay - but it's not encouraged. Being lawless is perfectly okay - but stealing a mount should be against the law to fit that paradigm.

Personally, I prefer how mortal online did it... you left it out - and then had to go stable it in town for $$$.

this would also be a nice gold sink :). That said - new players wont be particularly happy with the idea that their mount isn't permanent super fun time - so there is no way of getting around that. They need to know that their mount isn't safe - it's just finding a balanced approach to that.

for instance, players will know very shortly that they CAN be attacked and killed by anybody. HOWEVER, they are under the assumption that towns are safe places, where they are less likely to be attacked by friendlies. Under the same exact principle - they know their mount can be stolen, but assume that doing so in broad daylight in the middle of town is NOT a danger. It's simply a matter of not enforcing the basic ideals of law/danger within a town and the game.

Reply #8
There will be no 'slow mount up' as they don't have animations for it, they would need 12 animation adjustments just for mounting up.

@Ub3rgames
However, summoning a mount could be channeled, just to make the mount up and bring more mount to escape harder. Transfer half of the channel time of unsummon to summon mount, the net is the same, but breaks the escape with multiple mounts problem.

As for the newbie area, another issue is that you have to target your mount to unsummon it, people still can troll you, or even by accident interrupt it. The slow cast on unsummon is bullshit, just a waste of time. If your excuse is that people shall not be able to unsummon fast in PVP, then add constraint of only fully healed mounts should be unsummonable and make heal mount level 1 spell.
"Things just got worse."

• nubnax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
if you add a channel time for mounting up you basically make bunny jumping the only way possible to escape. is that really what you want?
same goes for mount always being out.
DF is a fast game if shit hits the fan you don't have time to run back to where you parked your mount, or slowly spawn one and mount up.
Bala Eregi
SG of Bewahrer der Welten
SG of The Tausian Dominion

Reply #10
It's already like that. Begone first, mount up after.
"Things just got worse."

• Morad
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
if you add a channel time for mounting up you basically make bunny jumping the only way possible to escape. is that really what you want?
same goes for mount always being out.
DF is a fast game if shit hits the fan you don't have time to run back to where you parked your mount, or slowly spawn one and mount up.

I agree with nubnax's statement.
A player needs to maintain the ability to quickly mount-up or dismount as it currently is.

The gameplay logic already exists regarding player graves.
A player's grave ownership has already been determined, along with the Racial Alliance they belong to,
so as to correctly flag a player rogue plus an alignment hit when looted.
(Off hand I do not know the rogue duration for this)

The same logic would need to be applied to a players mount, with an appropriate rogue timed status and alignment hit.

The only other obstacle that Eilistraee has pointed out, is griefing a player as they are despawning/unsummoninga mount by interrupting the process.

I would like to know what will be in place for launch ?
As Ub3rgames has stated in the past, a new players 1st impression needs to be positive,
as you only really get one chance to make a 1st impression.

• Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 10:35:29 pm by Morad

Reply #12
We could start by fixing mount spawning in front of you. If you are Alfar you need to look into the distance, higher races can spawn closer.

Where was the 'shit hits the fan' argument when nerfing heavy mobility to the ground?
"Things just got worse."

• Morad
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #13
@Ub3rgames

Just wanted to give this question a little bump.
I know that the Devs are in Crunch Mode, and any forum activity will be minimal at best.
But hey, we can always ask ....

I thought that a player turns rogue when stealing a mount ?

It is still planned, but before doing that we need to solve issues with mounts being used as a way to block/grief other players.
Not forgotten, just lower priority than other things.

Question:

1) Will any game mechanic be added prior to launch that addresses Mount Stealing ?
  "Are you planning on providing safeguards to minimize this for launch ?
    If not, what additional tool tips will be added that informs players the risks of dismounting near other players
?"

2) You have used the term "Polishing Phase" in most recent posts.
  Is the "Polishing Phase" scheduled for pre or post Launch?

Appreciate any info you can provide...

Namaste !!
  • Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 10:36:03 pm by Morad

Reply #14
Just add stables or "spaces" in cities to use as a protected zone to unmount. Cities are so huge with plenty of useless spaces. I would also add an instant unmount within those zones. Unmounting outside is  at your own risk. Like that every mount is protected and no one is blocking buildings/banks.