Skip to main content

Topic: Linux edition after launch (Read 289 times) previous topic - next topic

Linux edition after launch
I would love to see a Linux edition of your game available, after you've launched and shipped the full windows version.

Re: Linux edition after launch
Reply #1
linux is like a few % of the market (vs OSX 10% and windows the rest)

porting to linux is much harder than it should be, in particular playing sound on linux is a disaster with multiple bad apis (thanks pulseaudio)

distributing closed source software on linux is a pain (thanks glibc), distributing any software on linux is a nightmare if you want to package it properly

linux has r2/strace/ltrace/freely available kernel sources/LD_PRELOAD/etc which make it easier for cheaters

seems like a bad idea to me

Reply #2
I will not hold my breath for Linux port, but decent Wine support would be great. Fat ore!

My own attempts failed, but I am not too good with Wine anyways. I remember reading successful reports on WineHq, really old, outdated posts. There was some talk on RoA forum. I believe someone got it working there, but it was not transferable to ND - do not remember the reason / maybe a false memory.

In the end I resorted to dual-booting.

-BUG RELATED TO DUAL-BOOTING-
As some of you might know, dual-booting can make your PC time go bananas (in my case it was 2 hours off). This can cause your hot-bar to stop working properly. Thank you GM for explaining this! Fix your time and everything should work.
--

Reply #3
^tell windows your BIOS is using UTC time

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/time#UTC_in_Windows

• mrW
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
RoA was playable with wine (for more info check https://forums.darkfallriseofagon.com/threads/linux-client.2286/ ). Still as long as the game stays based on DirectX, the performance won't likely match that of Windows machine. It should be good for light gameplay but I doubt it would be stable enough for sieges and you are very likely to encounter more crashes or fps drops.

If you really want to only boot Linux and play games, look into KVM, you can set it up with PCI pass-through so Windows VM will have direct access to the GPU. Another alternative is qemu's VGA Passthrough but it's not as stable. Worth noting is that for this you need to dedicate a GPU to the VM, so KVM will need a separate GPU to boot with (e.g. integrated GPU)

"Our title system is an expansion of the titles in the same spirit than the destroyer title. These will NOT be classes and will be completely optional."

Reply #5
If you really want to only boot Linux and play games, look into KVM, you can set it up with PCI pass-through so Windows VM will have direct access to the GPU. Another alternative is qemu's VGA Passthrough but it's not as stable. Worth noting is that for this you need to dedicate a GPU to the VM, so KVM will need a separate GPU to boot with (e.g. integrated GPU)

Went this route from start of indev through to a couple months ago, worked flawlessly.
TimothyJB NewDawn
Supreme General of Seek and Destroy, previously of The Crimson Brotherhood
Dedicated clan lag switcher and founder of the SaltyBitch™ club

Darkfall will never succeed without local banking kangaroo mounts

Reply #6
bump

Reply #7
I will not hold my breath for Linux port, but decent Wine support would be great. Fat ore!

My own attempts failed, but I am not too good with Wine anyways. I remember reading successful reports on WineHq, really old, outdated posts. There was some talk on RoA forum. I believe someone got it working there, but it was not transferable to ND - do not remember the reason / maybe a false memory.

In the end I resorted to dual-booting.

-BUG RELATED TO DUAL-BOOTING-
As some of you might know, dual-booting can make your PC time go bananas (in my case it was 2 hours off). This can cause your hot-bar to stop working properly. Thank you GM for explaining this! Fix your time and everything should work.
--

Sorry for the grave digging but for those who are interested. I'm currently tinkering with getting this to run on Linux.
It might still be tough to do things like sieging but for general PvM and things like that it should be okay.

https://youtu.be/asf6ls40NsA