Skip to main content

Topic: Rage animation is only visible to caster (Read 719 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rage animation is only visible to caster
Reply #30
Too late, it is already. Very strong ability. It's invisible on top of it.

No, Rage is a mental state that effect physical ability, no need for a hokuspokus animation.
The visual effect for user only makes sense in terms of knowing that the ability actually went off. Regardless the problem is insignificant compared to not knowing which spell getting loaded-up other than what school it belongs to.
you would rather have spells with no casting animations at all? Because this is what's going on with Rage.

Sure if they were put on a 15min cooldown with only a short duration self benefit that got canceled if you initiate anything else. Hell even throw in that you are capped at only 3-4 other useful abilites
  • Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 02:51:59 pm by Nataz

Reply #31
Too late, it is already. Very strong ability. It's invisible on top of it.

No, Rage is a mental state that effect physical ability, no need for a hokuspokus animation.
The visual effect for user only makes sense in terms of knowing that the ability actually went off. Regardless the problem is insignificant compared to not knowing which spell getting loaded-up other than what school it belongs to.
you would rather have spells with no casting animations at all? Because this is what's going on with Rage.

Sure if they were put on a 15min cooldown with only a short duration self benefit that got canceled if you initiate anything else.
So you think invisible spell on 15minute cooldown that boosts all physical protections by 6-7(?) points as long as you have staff out and on top of that heals a little bit would be fine? I disagree. I think there shouldn't be any invisible skills in the game. Especially that powerful (outcome changers).

So let's agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Reply #32
Baby steps. First let's see them get the team together to push out a patch, or a post at least.
IGN: "Eilis Traee"
However, you have to take into account why we are introducing local banking.
In New Dawn, its main purpose is to be a convenience feature.
"Things just got worse."

• memes
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #33
yes fix and then buff rage to give immunity to elemental damage and/or CC for x seconds

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #34
Ivar, i wanted an explanation to
"It might only be third person. This is done a lot because it saves you a ton of man hours."
With how it works for rage animation. I'm completely lost on how a model that already has the animation saves a ton of man hours by not having the animation visible to other players.

I can tackle this question too.
You can only view the rage animation from the back.
There's no guarantee there's an actual 3d render of the entire thing.

I mean, food/potions and all of the emotes have got full 3d.
But imagine AV were like "meh, we'll add that later" and simply never got around to it.
There's a huge difference between a "flat" character model doing a quick arm into the air, vs a full 3d model that can be viewed by others with proper timing ect.

Would i assume it has no 3d model, probably not...because all of the emotes were made how much more work would 1 additional move really be...but..It is AV...

Reply #35
Even a sound would be enough as a start. @Ub3rgames

Reply #36
Rage can only be used in 3rd person mode, the fact that you can see on self, means that others could see it too, if this action would be transmited over the network to them and linked to the appropiate animation.

I still can imagine them costing this few days of man hours if they haven't touched this part of the code yet, which probably they didn't, because it's graphics and animations, an area out of their scope.

I would also like if the battle cry sounds of characters would by syncronized, and not random.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
IGN: "Eilis Traee"
However, you have to take into account why we are introducing local banking.
In New Dawn, its main purpose is to be a convenience feature.
"Things just got worse."

Reply #37
I can tackle this question too.
You can only view the rage animation from the back.
There's no guarantee there's an actual 3d render of the entire thing.

I mean, food/potions and all of the emotes have got full 3d.
But imagine AV were like "meh, we'll add that later" and simply never got around to it.
There's a huge difference between a "flat" character model doing a quick arm into the air, vs a full 3d model that can be viewed by others with proper timing ect.

Would i assume it has no 3d model, probably not...because all of the emotes were made how much more work would 1 additional move really be...but..It is AV...

Sorry but this isn't how it works usually in game development. You make an animation linked to skeletal mesh and we have that available and playing on the client. I really see no reason to fake this with different functionality.

For Rage however, compared to other spells/skills, few situations are possible:

- it is a "hardcoded" functionality that plays only on client and on finishing up the animation it sends packet to client to provide you with buffs
- it "plays" as every other skill/ability on server but isn't sent to other clients that see you

Because powerhour works properly I'd take a wild guess and say it is the first problem which is far more severe and if you hacked the game you'd be able to send both attack and cast rage packets to server at the same time thus gaining a whooping few hundred milliseconds :P