Skip to main content

Topic: Merge all reagents to one (Read 696 times) previous topic - next topic

Merge all reagents to one
Searven mentioned it in his NPE thread.
To give some convenience (especially to new players) wouldn't it be the easiest to just do it UW style and make all reagents one 'magic ammo' ?
Benefits are obvious, less tedium in making a bag and ballpark how many regs of each kind you need.
Contra is the loss of the immersive element of harvesting them from your surroundings, but this can be anticipated by letting them still be harvestable and afterwards converted to magic ammo.
ingame: Dropkick Skibba

• mrW
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Merge all reagents to one
Reply #1
It would suck for mob loot diversity. The devs plan to remove them from vendor so having 6 different resources to farm instead of 1 gives more diversity for the economy. At the same time, it's somewhat confusing for new players. The devs will decide what is more of a priority.

"Our title system is an expansion of the titles in the same spirit than the destroyer title. These will NOT be classes and will be completely optional."

Reply #2
I'd sooner go with expanding reagent selection (10 or even more) than change it all to just one...

But maybe I just overcomplicate things :o
Wyverex Erisian, SG of Scrubs

Still a member of SaltyBitches™ Club

Reply #3
If Reagents are removed from all vendors.. New players will never be able to learn to be good at the game, because of inaccessibility of reagents, I've burned through millions of each reagent, as has everyone, JUST  practicing pvp..
I pray to god they don't do that, everyone will just be running around with bows, being like "K bro i only have enough regs for 5 fireballs next encounter" hahaha.

• Azdul
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #4
If Reagents are removed from all vendors..
Ub3rgames does not want to do that. According to New Dawn web page vendors will still sell reagents, just their prices will be adjusted dynamically.

I pray to god they don't do that, everyone will just be running around with bows, being like "K bro i only have enough regs for 5 fireballs next encounter" hahaha.
It may happen anyway - if a newbie will wear heavy armor, put on few self-buffs - he may not have mana to throw more than a few nukes. But DF PvP in early 2009 was all about bows and melee - and it was much more fun than what came later.

Reply #5
Don't forget the mana missile spam, which every newbie did back in 2009 :D

Reply #6
It would suck for mob loot diversity. The devs plan to remove them from vendor so having 6 different resources to farm instead of 1 gives more diversity for the economy. At the same time, it's somewhat confusing for new players. The devs will decide what is more of a priority.
dont make up devs plan from your ass please

• LRM
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
Go from 6 to 3 reg : one 6gp; one 4gp and one 2gp
LRM - Epoch

Reply #8
How about the best of both?

Make each school only castable with one reg type and each spell cost 1-4 qty of that reg.

Air- Mandrake
Earth - Resin
Fire - Sulpher
Water- Nacre
Witchcraft and Necro - Bone
Spellchanting and Arcane - Ash

You could then make each reg cost the standard 4gp each.  This would also work as the devs are removing and reworking lesser and greater magic. Another benift is for single school mages only needing to take out one reg type with them.

Reply #9
Biggest issue with 1 reg is that mobs will then be dropping reagents that can be used to cast spells they're weak to.

Fire elementals? Drop sulfur. Near immune to fire.
Earth elementals? Drop resin. Near immune to acid.
Ice? Nacre. Water.
Air? Mandrake. Lightning.

So if you have just 1 reg, you take a bunch of R0 staves out to a mob and don't come back until you've levelled everything to max.

Reply #10
don't fuck with what's not broke

Reply #11
with multiple regs you: pull 6 items out of the bank and rarely give it another thought. unless you're new then you won't have enough that you can just be like "imma take 10k regs with me every time" or forget or whatever

with one reg you: pull 1 item out of the bank and never give it another thought

multiple regs adds nothing to the game beyond being a newb trap so i don't see why removing it is a bad thing

Reply #12
Having multiple different or just 1 reagent doesn't matter much for PvP, but it definitely matters for PvE.
It is easier to balance PvE and loot tables, and to make PvE more challenging if there are more reagents.

Examples:
Fire elementals drop lots of Sulfur, yet are immune to Fire Magic. So yes, you can farm lots of it, but can't use it on them.
Achrids drop lots of Ash, just enough to kill them using Arcane bolt and continue farming them.

Reply #13
Having multiple different or just 1 reagent doesn't matter much for PvP, but it definitely matters for PvE.
It is easier to balance PvE and loot tables, and to make PvE more challenging if there are more reagents.

Examples:
Fire elementals drop lots of Sulfur, yet are immune to Fire Magic. So yes, you can farm lots of it, but can't use it on them.
Achrids drop lots of Ash, just enough to kill them using Arcane bolt and continue farming them.
if this is more than 0% of the difficulty in pve then the pve is too easy

Reply #14
Mobs dropping reagents they're weak to isn't a problem if you go with the mentioned solution. You'll still have different reagents in the loot, but you have to convert them first into magic ammo to use them.
Besides there already is mobs who drop their weakness regs, Stormgraives for example.
ingame: Dropkick Skibba