Skip to main content

Topic: Let's Talk Keybinds (Read 946 times) previous topic - next topic

Let's Talk Keybinds
Like the title says, I'm interested in everyone's keybinding schemes. Mercifully we're not in a DFO 2009 situation - the various shared cooldowns, weapon bar w/ hotbar switching, multi-use PA/WW/KB/seize skills, cycle/combo options, etc helping to simplify a good bit of the complexity involved (a certain sort of fun in its own way, but definitely a barrier to entry by any sober assessment) - but there's still a lot of room for optimization. I've never really been satisfied with my bindings, and I'm curious how other folks have gone about solving the puzzle. This is also one of the big technical gaps between new and seasoned players, and I think some focused discussion on the topic could help move people along in a useful direction without having to perpetually reinvent the wheel and make + break a lot of bad muscle memory habits along the way that leave people unwittingly fighting their interface as much as their opponent.

Binding schemes for narrower, more focused builds (archer, heavy melee, etc) are useful, but I'm most interested in a full hybrid setup - someone who expects to use magic, melee, and archery, and wants a complete suite of skills for each + consumables and misc actions readily accessible (AKA worst case scenario, binding-wise). Similarly, I'm interested in what specialized input devices people use to streamline the process (fancy keyboards, multi-button mice, etc), but those binding to a plain ol' keyboard + mouse setup are probably most readily applicable to the most people.

Also mounted combat, as this often gets left out. I've always felt the default lean bindings were awkward, and haven't ever really been happy with the various alternatives I've come up with. It's PVP heyday may have passed, but it still has niche applications that benefit from less clunk.

• LRM
  • [*][*][*][*]
Re: Let's Talk Keybinds
Reply #1
Had this file done a way back for a friend.

^ = shift

BINDS DFO:

Q: melee weapon (also brings melee hotbar)
E : bow (also bring bow and food bar)
^E: begone
Z: mount
X: gank
C: come hither
^C : exploding charge
V: rez
^V:
R: r50 (also bring offensive magic bar)
^R: rend or alternative r50
F : use
^F : confusion
G : Wof
^G : alt use
T: eye rot
^Y : toggle melee swing
B: bag
^B: toggle chat windows
Ctrl: crouch
Tab: mana to stam
F1 to f4 buff hotbars
Control : 1h/ shield
2 squared : hasten spell
^> : arrow selfbuff
> : Fire selfbuff
^q : melee selfbuff
^capslock : food

Mouse:
Left clic: attack
Right clic : sprint
Mouse lateral 1 : ray
Mouse lateral 2 : sacrifice (also brings healing magic bar)
^Mouse lateral 2 : debuffs
Mouse lateral 3 : stam to health
^mouse lateral 3 : witchbrew
Mousewheel up : r90 also brings offensive magic bar)
^mousewheel up : needles
Mousewheel down: health to mana
MousWheel clic : parry
^mousewheel clic : counterspell
Mouse 4 : crouch
Mouse 5 explosion
Mouse 6 : pots
Mouse 7 : bolt

I have 3 hotbars that switches contextually
Melee / bow : ww/ seize disable etc
Defensive magic : haste, healself, heal others x3
Offensive magic : all drains, field aoe, debuffs

Edit : I have to use a macro for the ctrl / mousewheel bind
  • Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 06:22:29 pm by LRM
LRM

Reply #2
Warning: Not newbie friendly.

Bind Gui Hotbar Column 0 Row 1 -> Skill tree, for example heals, put sacrafice on it, check switch to this hotbar and nothing else.
To cast heal other, press W, but have this on autocast, no other options.
This way, every cast is about 2 presses, either a key + mouse attack or 2 keys on the keyboard.

Movement keys at the center of the keyboard, since pinky finger is the less fixed, due to not being used by movement, it has a higher range of keys to use.
D, T, G, H movement keys serve as a pivot for other fingers, for example when I have to press V for heals, I do it with my middle finger in case I am strafing left/right, if I am pressing forward or backwards I use by point finger.
No cycling or modifiers.
Can't use all the spell, unless enable cycling, but that beats the 2 key cast.
Will have trouble when more melee skills will be introduced as there are are hotkeys only for 8 skills, including the column selection.
Transfers and other important actions are one keypress on autocast, like potions, mounts, food.
Power hour used with mouse, to not accidentally toggle it.

Part of the binds on hotbar:

1 - Melee weap / Shield hotbar, shared
2 - Bow
3 - Displacement spells
4. - Heals (Self heals, heal others and leeches)
5. - Debuff + blinds
6. - Other buffs
7. - Unused
8. - DPS spells
9. - Unused
0. - Self buffs

• Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 10:42:35 pm by Eilistraee
"Eilis Traee" - Uprising. Clan Crafter and Public Relations.
However, you have to take into account why we are introducing local banking.
In New Dawn, its main purpose is to be a convenience feature.
"Things just got worse."

Reply #3
Q = mana to stam / E = stam to HP / Y = health to mana / N = heal self / B = witches brew / V sword and board / T = dragonsbreath

rest i switch between bars

edit J = greatsword and whirlwind / F = greatsword disable / C = bow / shift F = bow disable
  • Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 05:42:37 pm by kingwae
[20:22:42] (Carbon Stampede): king weanker mad he has no friends to help siege so he sit in bush like a gay camera man

• Naos
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
Q = mana to stam / E = stam to HP / Y = health to mana / N = heal self / B = witches brew / V sword and board / T = dragonsbreath

nice minimalistic one, are you using on top just the standard keybind to switch hotbars?
I think Ub3rgames should try to make starter keybinds in a similar way focusing on the essentials like transfers and heals with direct keys and the rest can be organized then in melee/archery hotbar and mage hotbars while open to players to add in more direct access keys, depending on their preference and keyboar layout.
  • Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 01:31:50 pm by Naos

Reply #5

nice minimalistic one, are you using on top just the standard keybind to switch hotbars?
I think Ub3rgames should try to make starter keybinds in a similar way focusing on the essentials like transfers and heals with direct keys and the rest can be organized then in melee/archery hotbar and mage hotbars while open to players to add in more direct access keys, depending on their preference and keyboar layout.

Yeah other then those bindings i switch between bars by using the shift 1 2 3 4 5 6 etc
[20:22:42] (Carbon Stampede): king weanker mad he has no friends to help siege so he sit in bush like a gay camera man

Reply #6
Q = mana to stam / E = stam to HP . . .

Yeah other then those bindings i switch between bars by using the shift 1 2 3 4 5 6 etc

ma nugguh. I don't auto sprint or even bind heal self / wb, keep it simple and full control that's all that matters
Soho Summer

• nubnax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
i got 3 general tipps.
- switching from WASD to ESDF opens up a lot more keys close to your movement keys.

- using at least one modifier key (ctrl, shift, alt) almost doubles the amount of spells/skills you can access via a direct key press
  i personally use alt as it's the only key my thumb presses except space. so my really underutilized thumb has one more key it
  presses
- use the multislot functionality. I personally think 2 spells per hotbar slot/key binding is the maximum i can reliably use but 2 is
  better than just one.

i can access a little over 40 hotkey slots using those 3 tipps.
for example :
R ... witches brew
double tap R ... heal self
alt+R ... lay on hands
double tap alt+R lend mana

Bala Eregi - SG of Pickaxe Inc

Reply #8
i got 3 general tipps.
- switching from WASD to ESDF opens up a lot more keys close to your movement keys.

- using at least one modifier key (ctrl, shift, alt) almost doubles the amount of spells/skills you can access via a direct key press
  i personally use alt as it's the only key my thumb presses except space. so my really underutilized thumb has one more key it
  presses
- use the multislot functionality. I personally think 2 spells per hotbar slot/key binding is the maximum i can reliably use but 2 is
  better than just one.

i can access a little over 40 hotkey slots using those 3 tipps.
for example :
R ... witches brew
double tap R ... heal self
alt+R ... lay on hands
double tap alt+R lend mana
Do you autorun? I hold shift to run and if I use my modifier key (alt) and a keypress, it doesn't work unless I let go of shift and stop running. Is this a limitation of darkfall, or my shitty keyboard?
  • Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 05:03:34 pm by Brown Dorf

• nubnax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
yes i use sprint toggle.

Reply #10
So can't use modifier keys if you don't sprint toggle?

• nubnax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
i honestly don't know.

Reply #12
Pressing too many keys at once does not work. I suggest you use auto sprint and toggle it off when necessary.

There are 3 reasons for this:
- You sprint much more than you don't. Much more. You could say you can play with auto sprint on all the time, without having major disadvantages up to average skilled game play. You can test this btw: in every combat, if you run out of all stats before you die, you can start to think about toggling auto sprint off from time to time to preserve those stats. If you die mostly because you ran out HP and still got stamina and mana left, that means you need to improve on other things. (like squirrel, uncanny dodge, timed blocking, more transfers/healing, better stat awareness/management)
- Holding a key while having to press other keys cripples your keyboard, sometime keys won't register. (Remember Mortal Combat multi player on same keyboard? If one would use shift or just press and hold 5 keys on their keyboard at once, it would block the controls of opponent)
- Holding a key, aka contracting a muscle for it, will slow down the execution of other actions, also it leads to some of those famous stress disorders. Key to perfect execution in combat is relaxation, it's more than enough to get pumped up by the nature of the game, a bad habit will only make things worse.
"Eilis Traee" - Uprising. Clan Crafter and Public Relations.
However, you have to take into account why we are introducing local banking.
In New Dawn, its main purpose is to be a convenience feature.
"Things just got worse."

• nubnax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #13
the most situations where you want to stop sprinting and only run shortly are in melee engagements and most of the time it's enough to keep autosprint on and "cancel it out" with strafing.

Reply #14
I use QWES for movement. Am I weird?
ᛟ Charax Hatehunter ᛟ