Skip to main content

Topic: Can I play a heavy melee pusher? (Read 1443 times) previous topic - next topic

• mrW
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Can I play a heavy melee pusher?
Reply #15
Give me names of these good 150 ping melee pushers.

Afraid they were all on RoA, here's one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1AEIMNZFjk
But this video shows the opposite - how shitty with melee is one of the best darkfall pleyers because of the high ping. Look how much better he is with magic.
Opposite of what? This video proves that you can be top-tier with 200 ping. If you are good enough, the ping will not be what will hold you back in achieving things in game. Ping is more of a psychological thing or an excuse on why one sucks at the game. Sure it's easier or more enjoyable to play with lower ping and no one will deny that. The decision if ping is good enough or not can only be made personally by the player himself and it's up for his own evaluation, but having a higher ping will not put any barrier or limits on you that you can't cross / overcome as a player. The only question is if you will find the effort enjoyable or not.
  • Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 12:17:40 pm by mrW

"Our title system is an expansion of the titles in the same spirit than the destroyer title. These will NOT be classes and will be completely optional."

Reply #16
Give me names of these good 150 ping melee pushers.

Afraid they were all on RoA, here's one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1AEIMNZFjk
But this video shows the opposite - how shitty with melee is one of the best darkfall pleyers because of the high ping. Look how much better he is with magic.
Opposite of what? This video proves that you can be top-tier with 200 ping. If you are good enough, the ping will not be what will hold you back in achieving things in game. Ping is more of a psychological thing or an excuse on why one sucks at the game. Sure it's easier or more enjoyable to play with lower ping and no one will deny that. The decision if ping is good enough or not can only be made personally by the player himself and it's up for his own evaluation, but having a higher ping will not put any barrier or limits on you that you can't cross / overcome as a player. The only question is if you will find the effort enjoyable or not.
Question was about being heavy melee pusher with high ping.

• mrW
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
Question was about being heavy melee pusher with high ping.

The answer is the same, you can.

"Our title system is an expansion of the titles in the same spirit than the destroyer title. These will NOT be classes and will be completely optional."

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #18
I think melee is more impacted by ping because melee reach is so important.
You having 100 ping more not only delays your action by that much, but also puts your opponents by that much forward.

So a 100 ping, actually puts your opponents 0.2 sec infront of what you could possibly react to.

With magic, due to splash damage, larger range and easier to predict movements its not as detrimental.
Though ranged in itself is still a bit iffy with rays and archery being pin point attacks that may fail to connect when your opponent is making sharp turns.
Relying on AoE is the very reason you pick it, so its expected to not be impacted by ping as much.

I think you could still be ok as a mage with 300 ping, though i definitively wouldnt enjoy it.
I doubt you'd be able to get into melee range, and stay within reach, at that ping.
Obviously most wont get that high of a ping, but the arguement that magic viability vs melee viablity doesnt have some component of ping in it seems absurd.

That said, your opponents also have issue's in tracking you, as their client is predicting movements that get corrected over larger time spans, causing bigger warps and turn overs. So while an increase in ping may affect you, your opponents arent solely benefitted by it.

There was a picture somewhere of ping describing how good it was.
With like 0-15 = great
16-50 = good
51-100 = ok
101-160 = bad
161-220 = ok
221-290 = good
300+ = opponents cant aim at you

Something like it at least.

Reply #19
100 ping is 0.1 seconds round trip. That means it's like 0.05 seconds. But whatever, if you have high ping, you can't melee push. You can melee, but not push like chase someone effectively. The first part of video shows, that the guy backs or strafes when swinging the swords, he knows he won't reach the other guy running forward.

Simply put: No.
Lending my character to friends who want to try out DFND and don't want to grind skills up. Find me.

• Dagbu
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #20
@OP you can be whatever you set your heart and mind to.
Whatever you find fun - do it - f the meta - f the haters...and f the regime and the system! yeah! power to the people!
We have this dorky polish lady in our alliance that insists on playing with daggers and she gets butchered in melee, but it's fun for her.
And as for myself...well...I roleplay/actually am a pink bearded dwarf king who has gone insane. Works for me.

This is a quote.

(Can't change your mind now buddy, muaha.)
Dark Zlog

Reply #21
Appropriate thread name would be can you hold my hand
You don't see things as they are, you see them as you are.

Reply #22
Appropriate thread name would be can you hold my hand

Lol you have some serious issues kid.