Skip to main content

Topic: Can I play a heavy melee pusher? (Read 1509 times) previous topic - next topic

Can I play a heavy melee pusher?
Greetings. So in pvp games my go-to play style is usually support/heals since I find it's often the most dynamic and rewarding.

Since that's not really an option right now, the next best thing to me is the burly savage that creates a front line and protects the squishes.

I am NA though and my ping is usually around 130-150 with occasional spikes to 200's. Is that decent enough to consider a melee playstyle? Or would I be setting myself up for frustration and disappointment ?

Thanks in advance for your time !

Re: Can I play a heavy melee pusher?
Reply #1
Since that's not really an option right now,
why ? always has been but not by so many people , and will be even more than before after the coming changes to wards&debuffs

You can play whatever you want anyway since you won't be stuck in one aspect of the gameplay only , you'll end up doing many things at once during teamfights , you have to

Reply #2
Both a heavy and a support healer are very good builds roles right now with support having just been hugely 'buffed' in importance with the changes to self buffs and melee pushers always being an important part of any group. Solo/small scale melee pusher isnt so hot since any good mage/hybrid can just ditch you, but in med+ groups they are a must and of course a support needs people to support and thus become more important as the group size increases..

• nubnax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
we got one guy who likes to play support too. he's a great asset in group fights. always stays a bit further back and concentrates more on healing and probably soon buffing infight rather than dealing damage. he obviously also deals damage but his main priority is being support for his friends.
Bala Eregi
SG of Bewahrer der Welten
SG of The Tausian Dominion

Reply #4
From a ping perspective, is it possible to be successful in melee combat ?

Reply #5
From a ping perspective, is it possible to be successful in melee combat ?

Though there maybe some ping issues in melee they are pretty minor, but archery is where you may have issues especially when pinging, though many of us on the west coast play 160-200 so your 130 is looking pretty good. I usually finish a fight in melee and have few issues when i do, though I do use PA because of my ping and at worst if you used PA you wouldnt have much issue, but I find against EUs with good ping my archery is very hard to hit with, but im running like 180-200 in those situations (eu prime time my ping drops 10-20 during later w coast prime) so your 130-150 may be quite a bit better.

Reply #6
There are no concrete roles in DF and i hope never will. It's a game of freedom and should stay like this. To survive you must know many arts but in group fights you can certainly have a role of your choice.
About ping i live in Greece and there are days that i have 130-135 ping and it's totally playable, I can't even tell the difference from my usual ~90 or ~110.

Reply #7
There are no concrete roles in DF and i hope never will. It's a game of freedom and should stay like this. To survive you must know many arts but in group fights you can certainly have a role of your choice.
About ping i live in Greece and there are days that i have 130-135 ping and it's totally playable, I can't even tell the difference from my usual ~90 or ~110.
He asked about melee with high ping. Aren't you a mage? As a mage is much easier to adjust to high ping, while in melee oriented play style, when sticky backing is something you should be good at, high ping is an issue.

• mrW
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
He asked about melee with high ping. Aren't you a mage? As a mage is much easier to adjust to high ping, while in melee oriented play style, when sticky backing is something you should be good at, high ping is an issue.

It is true what you say, however for an average new player with 130-150 ping, it will take literally months until ping will be what is limiting a player. Even then, if you are very good, you will adjust your playstyle and can still be top tier. I've seen players with ~200 ping (they were vets) who would stomp you any day and are considered top tier.

If you have stable 130-150 ping, you are good to go and enjoy this game pretty much to it's full extent.

"Our title system is an expansion of the titles in the same spirit than the destroyer title. These will NOT be classes and will be completely optional."

Reply #9
Thanks for taking the time to reply. The mage thing wasn't really my cup of tea so I'm excited to try something else out.

Reply #10

It is true what you say, however for an average new player with 130-150 ping, it will take literally months until ping will be what is limiting a player. Even then, if you are very good, you will adjust your playstyle and can still be top tier. I've seen players with ~200 ping (they were vets) who would stomp you any day and are considered top tier.

If you have stable 130-150 ping, you are good to go and enjoy this game pretty much to it's full extent.
Give me names of these good 150 ping melee pushers.

Reply #11

How about you give us your in-game name first? Hiding behind a screen of anonymity allows you be to abusive and not very constructive on these forums.

• mrW
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12

Afraid they were all on RoA, here's one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1AEIMNZFjk

"Our title system is an expansion of the titles in the same spirit than the destroyer title. These will NOT be classes and will be completely optional."

Reply #13

How about you give us your in-game name first? Hiding behind a screen of anonymity allows you be to abusive and not very constructive on these forums.
Bamm bamm

Reply #14

Afraid they were all on RoA, here's one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1AEIMNZFjk
But this video shows the opposite - how shitty with melee is one of the best darkfall pleyers because of the high ping. Look how much better he is with magic.