Skip to main content

Topic: 4K Darkfall Pics (Read 1180 times) previous topic - next topic

4K Darkfall Pics
Finally got a new 4k Monitor I've been waiting for for some time (Reference/Specs) so I logged into DF to see how it would look, and was pleasantly surprised. While it doesn't look cutting edge by any means, and aside from some truly dated textures, I think it looks rather passable for such an older game, and even these pictures don't really do the "in game experience" of it justice, but here are some samples taken in a minute.

"Save as" the images to view them in full res. The forum downrezes automatically.

There is this issue though:

If you look at the bottom right of the screen, the boxes/menus etc are too small to really be playable.

Just some things to take into account.
@Ub3rgames

Re: 4K Darkfall Pics
Reply #1
Those look really good even just on forum and its funny to hear the boxes are too small after hearing for years they are too big from those who play in 1080.

Reply #2
That'S what happens when there's no scaling with 4k. Wait next year, 8k monitors are coming out.

http://i.imgur.com/luHGtSo.jpg this is what it will look like if nothing changes for people with 8k screens :p
  • Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 08:30:53 am by Ragnarodel

Reply #3
We do not know yet when we'll get the spare time to implement it, but an interface that scales independently from the resolution is definitely a must have.
The game still looks great simply because it has an overall coherent aesthetic. This will be the greatest challenge in any graphical upgrade, to keep things looking well together.
The Darkfall: New Dawn Dev Team.

Reply #4
these look really good on the forums with the downsampling (game has no AA heh) but if you pixel peep you can see some of the problems caused by high framebuffer resolution:

insufficient texture resolution on the tree itself (jaggie branches) and insufficient shadowmap resolution on the wall

insufficient texture resolution + fake chains (heh)

more obvious instance of insufficient shadowmap res. do note that you'll never be able to unsee this afterwards, and it happens in every game released today, so feel free to skip this block of text and not click on the links

shadows are done in games by literally drawing the scene from the point of view of a light into an image (a normal image with pixels) BUT each pixel holds the distance to the world instead of the colour of the world at that point. the depth image is called a "shadow map". when you draw the real frame you can match screen pixels to the corresponding pixel in the shadow map and see if the screen pixel is further away from the light than the point recorded in the shadow map, i.e. the screen pixel is not visible from the light because it's behind something, i.e. the point is in shadow

because the shadow map is an actual image with actual pixels, shadows have jagged edges between shadowed/lit areas. with sufficient resolution + the shadowmap equivalent of anti aliasing(*) this isn't really noticable if you're not looking for it

unedited: http://i.imgur.com/zC3SEQB.png
me drawing to emphasise the artifacts: http://i.imgur.com/3Ufdu0O.png

*: if you go into the video settings it's called "shadow filtering". if you disable that the artifacts become more obvious, and if you stand in the right places you can see the shadowmap resolution discontinuities of the shadow cascades. google keywords are shadow filtering/percentage closest filtering/cascading shadow maps/a book called Real Time Shadows if you're interested
  • Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 10:08:37 pm by trashsmasher

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
those branches arent physical objects in the world though, its just a graphic extended to make it look more like a tree instead of the pointy stumps that they really are.

Im sure it wouldnt be hard to make those look prettier...

Reply #6
The game still looks great simply because it has an overall coherent aesthetic. This will be the greatest challenge in any graphical upgrade, to keep things looking well together.

Will it be that hard?  AV did manage to upgraded Darkfall Unholy Wars to look pretty damn good. 

Reply #7

Will it be that hard?  AV did manage to upgraded Darkfall Unholy Wars to look pretty damn good.

Its better but its not better enough for people who truly choose graphics as an important criteria for games they play, all it will do is make it look better to those who would play anyway and draw few others.

• Fnights
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
How people can play with these resolutions? Bah, it also require a very powerfull pc with a last gen graphic card and lcd.

Full HD is enought for every game, more is just extreme capitalism, since they can't pump anymore cpus ghz they try to grab money increasing futile things like second cache, resolution and GPU power. Soon GPU will match cpu counterparts and will reach their limit, already almost reached with 10xx serie with ddr memory (8192 gb+).

Useless eye fluff nobody really need, a 1920x1080 with a range GTX 6xx-GTX 10xx is more than enought for everything.
  • Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 12:23:40 pm by Fnights
DnD full roadmap
Darkfall Online (Eu-1)
2009~2012
DF1 broken issues

Reply #9
Best virtual goblin I ever saw

Reply #10
Its better but its not better enough for people who truly choose graphics as an important criteria for games they play, all it will do is make it look better to those who would play anyway and draw few others.

Wrong. Majority of the player base don't expect Witcher 3 graphics from every game.  Each players have a different tolerant level for 'bad' graphics and every improvement Ub3r can make can only benefit.   If DND can come with par with DFUW in terms of graphics then it is good enough for 2017.  Next year we will scream about VR