Skip to main content

Topic: Discussion: Population spread and server location factors (Read 17487 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Discussion: Population spread and server location factors
Reply #630
@Malekh please read this post by  @TimothyJB
He plays from Australia with ping ~315 ms, and he's considered a good PvP player (not top-end, sorry Timmy)

Yeah, i get that. I just don't want to compete in the special olympics - no-one is a winner there. I might still end up playing if/when it get launched - i really do like that they're heading in the original direction. But it's a twitch game, and 100+ ping makes a difference, and here it's like 300+. I was dodging goblin arrows and then like 3 seconds later i get the 'hit' sound and take damage. It's wrong. WRONG! But anyways..... got invited to play RoA after it launched by a friend, but i just couldn't do it. At least ark pvp has a local server. IDK, i like darkfall, and i like the direction they're going. But yeah, the ping..... :(

Were the pve issues on new dawn or roa? That's basically what happened to me for RoA launch, couldn't even do simple pve while their server was broken. On New Dawn I had some problems like that occasionally but when I checked it was due to some pretty severe packet loss on my route (something darkfall is very sensitive to), mostly in US datacenters, and battleping was able to rectify that (though I don't need it now). With a stable connection there should be no problems with consistently strafe dodging arrows or rocks from mobs like giants/ogres (was doing it today), and I don't notice any delayed hit registration either, I'd recommend trying winmtr to the indev server (indev-1.ub3rgames.com) and seeing what it looks like if you haven't already.

Reply #631
I can say at 160 ping from west coast na the ping is noticeable and sometimes frustrating. Yes the game is smooth, but I know what I'm experiencing,  which is lag, and I don't see how it can get anything but worse when you add 2k players to the server. Ping is an issue and denying that or trying to cover it up just makes you sound like a shill.

• nubnax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #632
high ping and lag are different things though. lag is experienced when your latency increases compared to what you are used to.
 maybe your connection isn't stable, as timothy said darkfall is sensitive to packetloss.
Bala Eregi - SG of Pickaxe Inc

Reply #633
high ping and lag are different things though. lag is experienced when your latency increases compared to what you are used to.
ok, please don't post if you have no clue. Thank you.

Reply #634
ok, please don't post if you have no clue. Thank you.
So why are you posting at all then?

Reply #635
When Elon Musk makes his global satellite internet, we should put servers in space so that everyone gets a 30~ms ping:
https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/4/15539934/spacex-satellite-internet-launch-2019

• nubnax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #636
i'm sorry flush for being not precise enough for you to understand what i meant. excuse me please for not taking into account your weak reading comprehension .

if your ping fluctuates, i.e. a ping spike then you have lag.
for example timothy has a high but stable ping (no lag). this allows him to get used to it and be able to pvp.
Bala Eregi - SG of Pickaxe Inc

Reply #637
i'm sorry flush for being not precise enough for you to understand what i meant. excuse me please for not taking into account your weak reading comprehension .

if your ping fluctuates, i.e. a ping spike then you have lag.
for example timothy has a high but stable ping (no lag). this allows him to get used to it and be able to pvp.
You are wrong. Read or something if you don't know but stop spreading bullshit. Ping equals lag.
With stable ping it's easier to play than with non-stable but Rokaroo is right that higher ping equals bigger lag, no matter if it's stable or not.

Also your personal attacks are not needed.
  • Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 04:15:46 pm by wildNothing

• gosti
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #638
Who the fuck cares if it's called lag, latency, ping or potato? I'm sure ppl get the idea, geez...

Reply #639

Also your personal attacks are not needed.
But you've started acting like a cunt again. So either deal with them or start being reasonable once more.

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #640
I can say at 160 ping from west coast na the ping is noticeable and sometimes frustrating. Yes the game is smooth, but I know what I'm experiencing,  which is lag, and I don't see how it can get anything but worse when you add 2k players to the server. Ping is an issue and denying that or trying to cover it up just makes you sound like a shill.

Which is why the majority of EU should be forced to play with that ping by placing it in NYC.
Great, thanks for your input.

(i pinged 110 to RoA server, and im like 5 ping away from the atlantic line. So people from countries as close as germany would easily add 20-30 ping ontop of that. Great job showing why either choice is going to leave a lot of people feeling like they got dicked over by the other half of the world. There's no pleasing both sides of the pond, which is why this is dragging along as much as it is)

Reply #641
He plays from Australia with ping ~315 ms, and he's considered a good PvP player (not top-end, sorry Timmy)

Yeah, i get that. I just don't want to compete in the special olympics - no-one is a winner there. I might still end up playing if/when it get launched - i really do like that they're heading in the original direction. But it's a twitch game, and 100+ ping makes a difference, and here it's like 300+. I was dodging goblin arrows and then like 3 seconds later i get the 'hit' sound and take damage. It's wrong. WRONG! But anyways..... got invited to play RoA after it launched by a friend, but i just couldn't do it. At least ark pvp has a local server. IDK, i like darkfall, and i like the direction they're going. But yeah, the ping..... :(

Were the pve issues on new dawn or roa? That's basically what happened to me for RoA launch, couldn't even do simple pve while their server was broken. On New Dawn I had some problems like that occasionally but when I checked it was due to some pretty severe packet loss on my route (something darkfall is very sensitive to), mostly in US datacenters, and battleping was able to rectify that (though I don't need it now). With a stable connection there should be no problems with consistently strafe dodging arrows or rocks from mobs like giants/ogres (was doing it today), and I don't notice any delayed hit registration either, I'd recommend trying winmtr to the indev server (indev-1.ub3rgames.com) and seeing what it looks like if you haven't already.

Sorry for the late reply, got distracted by something shiny and forgot all about it. The ping was to new dawn, i played roa briefly (really briefly) during their free period and it was better, although not by much. Not sure what winmtr is, could you explain that?

as for the posts that came after: god bless you, darkfall (and forumfall). Nowhere else in the world can you shit-talk people with ultra-profanity and get away with it. Happy go fuck yourselves to all! :)

Reply #642

Sorry for the late reply, got distracted by something shiny and forgot all about it. The ping was to new dawn, i played roa briefly (really briefly) during their free period and it was better, although not by much. Not sure what winmtr is, could you explain that?

as for the posts that came after: god bless you, darkfall (and forumfall). Nowhere else in the world can you shit-talk people with ultra-profanity and get away with it. Happy go fuck yourselves to all! :)

winmtr is a program you can use to see the route your traffic takes to a destination and at what points you experience higher latency, packet loss, etc.
You can find it here: http://winmtr.net/download-winmtr/
And the indev server address to test against is here: indev-1.ub3rgames.com
If you post a log of your traffic, people on the forum would be able to help you see where a problem might be, the devs use it regularly when people are having connection issues like you described.

Reply #643
Ah, okay. I've just run that, and the best i received is 0 (which seems wrong). The next best is 14 (which again, seems wrong). The worst i received is 407 (which seems worse than i can remember), but there's ones there that are about 360ish. Which seems about right from memory. The fastest one i can see that seems about plausible is 217, but even that seems dubious.

edit: the majority of the stable results are about 360 (give or take a couple of points). I think it's just a side effect of where i live vs where the server is at.
  • Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 08:09:29 am by Malekh

Reply #644
Just for reference for you EU people anxious about a NYC server,  RoA is at 107.155.107.163. (Wouldn't be guaranteed same ping, as DND in NY might have a slighty different path if another host provider.)

From deep in Texas, on 1Gbit fiber, I get:

DND:
-- indev-1.ub3rgames.com ping statistics ---
59 packets transmitted, 58 received, 1% packet loss, time 58086ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 124.092/124.307/125.010/0.411 ms

RoA:
--- 107.155.107.163 ping statistics ---
20 packets transmitted, 20 received, 0% packet loss, time 19029ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 52.674/52.979/53.466/0.293 ms

As I've stated, Paris is personally acceptable to me, but I think  any EU server location is still sub-par for a global server, as previous data, while dated, suggested that given known player population locations that optimally minimizes average total player latency would be a server in NYC, not London or Paris.
  • Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 07:34:50 pm by Crisply Vague