Skip to main content

Topic: Discussion: Population spread and server location factors (Read 41945 times) previous topic - next topic

• Rap
  • [*]
Re: Discussion: Population spread and server location factors
Reply #300
I live in Ireland and I would much rather play a populated server in NY than an empty server in EU, but you have to consider that if both ND and RoA place their servers in NY, they will have competition, while placing your server in EU will most guarantee all/most of the EU players and some of the NA West Coast players.

• SomeBK
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #301
And the pointless discussion has picked up traction and keeps chugging along...
Fair enough ill be there, Actually can we do it Thurs
(ive been lugging boxes of books all morning from a collection I bought and a little beat)

Reply #302
If West Coast US makes a good showing, they might move it to the US.  But I'm concerned because the server has been in France this whole time, so people in California wouldn't play in the first place.

My 190 ping(west coast) and I bounced, months ago..... Playing RoA tomorrow with a 90 ping!

Reply #303

Yet again, I could say host the server in NA and you will lose Scandanavia/Russia/Eastern Europe/Asia, don't be an idiot its a two way street.

I mean except they already stated that they are an extremely tiny portion of the playerbase. this whole conversation is about whats best for the majority and thus the health of the game. Don't be an idiot its a two way street.

Reply #304
The only thing I have not bought the game is that I dont know where the server will be located.
Dont want too invest time and money to play with 200 ping...

Reply #305
Macron is in, France is doomed and England is being outbred 6-to-1! The next great war is starting in Europe, do the right thing and put that bitch in NA!

Reply #306
Macron is in, France is doomed and England is being outbred 6-to-1! The next great war is starting in Europe, do the right thing and put that bitch in NA!

yes...europe is sooo doomed  :))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AHhc7DTIsg

all the best US-Guys...you staying alone in the world ..(before the rest of the world respect you...learn to implement and use the metric system)

btw just 2200 simultanious playing people on RoAs Server..uhhhh thats empty
  • Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 06:35:02 pm by Prometheus
inDev_ Dusk (12 months) - Subscriber
In the Darkfall Univers since 2005
in january 2009 i was still in a Darkfall Beta and did wait for a release... dejavu at it best!

Reply #307
2200 players is "empty"?

And if that's a number taken from around now or a few hours before, then...

a) it's a majority NA populated server
b) it's a weekday - people have classes and jobs to attend
c) the server's been having crashes and rollbacks so no doubt people are keeping an eye out for it to stabilise before committing more time to it.

And even if 2200 was a prime time figure, that's still fine for a game no one out there really knows yet.

By all means critique RoA for how they handle communication, whether they're changes to the game are any good etc. But bashing a 2.2k population number is a pointless thing to do. It's like saying DND is quiet at the moment therefore it's shit and dead.
  • Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 07:12:18 pm by Maejohl

Reply #308
He has issues.
IGN: "Eilis Traee"
However, you have to take into account why we are introducing local banking.
In New Dawn, its main purpose is to be a convenience feature.
"Things just got worse."

Reply #309
2200 players is "empty"?

But bashing a 2.2k population number is a pointless thing to do. It's like saying DND is quiet at the moment therefore it's shit and dead.

relax - every serious company does a market analyse before launch and create their product for (if they take it serious). 2,2k are the number we had after Failfall 2011 on EU - and yes it was and felt empty. There isnt any problem to speak out the facts - its more important what you feel about.. if you feel its shit and empty.. ok, i expected during the InDev of DND alot less people than actually play. But we are very at start dont forget it... and the op standalone features are still not in.

RoA it stays for itself - is (now) a fully released product! Its now on the hard-global mmo(rpg) - market. And their numbers for an MMO release in 2017 arent good right. thats a fact. 

inDev_ Dusk (12 months) - Subscriber
In the Darkfall Univers since 2005
in january 2009 i was still in a Darkfall Beta and did wait for a release... dejavu at it best!

Reply #310
2200 players is "empty"?

But bashing a 2.2k population number is a pointless thing to do. It's like saying DND is quiet at the moment therefore it's shit and dead.

relax - every serious company does a market analyse before launch and create their product for (if they take it serious). 2,2k are the number we had after Failfall 2011 on EU - and yes it was and felt empty. There isnt any problem to speak out the facts - its more important what you feel about.. if you feel its shit and empty.. ok, i expected during the InDev of DND alot less people than actually play. But we are very at start dont forget it... and the op standalone features are still not in.

RoA it stays for itself - is (now) a fully released product! Its now on the hard-global mmo(rpg) - market. And their numbers for an MMO release in 2017 arent good right. thats a fact. 

I think you are being a bit unfair to them when you really look at the broader MMO market outside the AAA games. At that point it becomes a lot about sustainability with income/overhead, if the game can continue to develop while covering all its expenses. That is the only threshold that matters for an indy game released as an ongoing project.

5k subs, alts or not is $50k a month and if they can keep that I think they have done excellent and may be on their way to success, but I dont see that happening. None the less to try and compare it to some big name game or anything outside the typical indy market is not fair nor reasonable.

Reply #311
NYC should be the obvious server placement for several reasons. And this is coming from an EU-player.

Reply #312
Why not Bavaria? There is a beerfest next month and I would welcome a good ping.
INSERT MEANINGLESS BATTLE HERE!

Reply #313
NYC is a terrible choice for a server. NA infrastructure is worse then east european. Might as well put the server back to greece.
Look at ROA its also constantly crashing and some of those crashes are related to their infrastructure I bet.

Also there is already a Darkfall branch in NA.. Server should go to London / Ireland / France, I dont really care which of those but I am not gonna play with instable 110 - 160 ping from germany. If DND goes to NYC they should know that in the long run only westcoast EU will have a decent ping to play. Might as well put it in Chicago rightaway and have only NAs.. Doubt that is what our french developers want tho.
--------------------------------------------------
Ingame: Ori Ori

Reply #314
All that matters is the population, simple as that. And so far, NY seems to be a better option in this regard. I'm in Europe.