Skip to main content

Topic: PvP tips needed (Read 2525 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: PvP tips needed
Reply #15
Heyall!

My question is: how do you deal with people constantly pushing into melee range?

Do you use movement spells to create distance?
Do I need more blinds? (Only have confusion atm)
Should I be forced to become a good meleer?

What should I do?

This is so highly situational its hard to give specific advice because a lot has to do with terrain, if im in a group, if I see them coming, if I know they are good, if they are in metal or hybrid armor etc... But I will share some general thoughts on it for you.

If they are a hybrid then just use fire juggle, knockbacks, wof and what not to keep them at bay, but I am assuming your concern is more about heavies.

Well as primarily a mage my first line of defense is I use a PA which will usually do more damage per hit than them so when people are closing if I can hit them with a melee slow and a pierce debuff on the way in, then if in a group they will often question if they should keep pushing and if im alone then a single attack and a ww I will out dps them for the first few seconds (the advantage of PA here is its the same damage type as arrows so I can now do extra damage even if they stay range or continue in) and then will use that initial exchange and damage to again break off back into a range position or if I feel they are particularly dangerous I will just create enough space to then use a mobility if I got space or a blind if they are a good tracker.

The other way to go about it if you don't like melee really at all is to use mobility and terrain to perch them, since melee pushers are usually heavy they will either lack things like storm blast or at least lack magnitude to achieve the same height. Also another trick is to use magma when they are getting in close to combine doing damage with knocking myself away (note you want to jump just as you are landing the magma in front of you so you have no friction and get some momentum back wards, this alone should give you enough space to begone/stormblast etc

In general though dealing with a melee push is all about your movement and often the best way to break off is not to run away (this exposes your back and is what they are hoping you will do) but to run at and around them to confuse any melee pattern they have, so you start melee for the initial exchange and then while running around them you charge your mobility spell to get away (its often much harder to get melee hits on someone who is running around you right in your face than someone 2-5 feet away and will often buy you those couple seconds of spell charge you need.

Again its so situational but if you really don't like melee you should always be looking for height and perches right off the bat and just get yourself in a tough place to get to before they ever get close and then you don't have to worry about it.
  • Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 09:41:52 pm by Mycke

Reply #16
Nice thread, good read.

if you know they are a destroy you can assume they prob don't have double jump
What? Why?

Reply #17
Nice thread, good read.

if you know they are a destroy you can assume they prob don't have double jump
What? Why?

Are you a destroyer?

• mrW
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #18
Are you a destroyer?
Has nothing to do with that. You choose between double-jump and sidestep. And no one is using the latter. So your assumptions are incorrect.

"Our title system is an expansion of the titles in the same spirit than the destroyer title. These will NOT be classes and will be completely optional."

Reply #19
Are you a destroyer?
Has nothing to do with that. You choose between double-jump and sidestep. And no one is using the latter. So your assumptions are incorrect.

Maybe im thinking UW but cant you pick any 2 and dont destroyers usually take something like indestructable, or am I just brain farting here?

• gosti
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #20
Are you a destroyer?

Maybe im thinking UW but cant you pick any 2 and dont destroyers usually take something like indestructable, or am I just brain farting here?

The latter.

Reply #21
Are you a destroyer?

The latter.

I will correct my OP then, ty.

• Guy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #22
Heyall!

My question is: how do you deal with people constantly pushing into melee range?

What should I do?

Stormblast(air magic) pushes both parties away from each other, effectively doubling the distance between the two parties, long CD though.

• mrW
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #23
Heyall!

What should I do?

Stormblast(air magic) pushes both parties away from each other, effectively doubling the distance between the two parties, long CD though.

Always prefer stormblast over begone. Most of the time using begone won't gain distance, as any competent melee player will stay close enough so he will also be impacted by begone. Especially when it's so powerful at lvl100.

"Our title system is an expansion of the titles in the same spirit than the destroyer title. These will NOT be classes and will be completely optional."

Reply #24
  • Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 06:00:54 pm by Battle Smurf

Reply #25
Didn't you play DFO?

Reply #26
only try hards need debuffs 1vs1

Reply #27
usually by the time you land 2 debuffs against a destro with a panacea you've already took a shit load of archery damage and lost distance. it can be risky but sometimes worthwhile

Reply #28
Only try hards use panaceas

Reply #29
Never really bothered with debuffs in duels if your playing to practice why make it easier for yourself? It's like when you duel a guy and he just circles the bindstone the entire duel, your just stopping yourself learning. It's not like you need to practice debuffing someone in a wof.
Asgrim Blackforge
Epoch