Skip to main content

Topic: DND must have pvp mage spells (Read 1053 times) previous topic - next topic

DND must have pvp mage spells
Hi I was wondering if we could make a list of [MUST HAVE] pvp mage spells that are currently needed for pvp in DND..

I know Earth Magic Pungent Mist has been nerfed from a ray to a charge spell.. Are there any other spells that are good and must have for PVP.

I'll start off with Air Magics Exploding Charge.

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: DND must have pvp mage spells
Reply #1
Mana to stamina, Stamina to health, Health to mana, Heal self, Witches brew.
Next you'll probably want to use Fireball, Spell haste, Eye rot, Confusion, Begone, Shrapnel, Stormblast, Wall of force, Spell reflect.

The r90's/field aoe's/rays are pretty similar for the most part.
With toxic rain being a slightly better field aoe due to its size and overall damage onto heavily geared opponent because it deals infliction damage.
For r90 there's a few things worth taking note of. You'll have to pick based on what you value the most.
Inferno/magma bomb has a knockup.
Exploding charge deals the most stat damage and travels slightly faster+further by default.
Unholy flames is a necromancy spell, so your opponent might be preparing for an eye rot.
Virtuous wrath is a arcane magic spell, so your opponent might be preparing for a wall of force.
Meteor strike is the largest aoe, split into 2 seperate attacks. It is getting (slightly) nerfed soon, but its able to kill targets at low health dispite spell reflect because only 1/2 the attack gets reflected.

Rays are in a slightly weird spot. Most people use dragon breath because of the short blind (for shorter races).
Using impale has a similar effect, but even elves are tall enough to avoid its vision impairment.
The air/water rays are fairly weak, but can hit multiple targets (and go through textures).
The unholy one drains mana too, which is usefull against non-heavy players.

Pungeont mist is still usefull for its blind, but given the cast time is pretty long...its likely better to resort to eyerot if it isnt on cooldown. Since its an aoe attack

Obviously all other self buffs may be worth using, but with the upcoming magic overhaul you will not be able to maintain the 10+ selfbuffs consistantly.

In team play the heal other+sacrifice+lay on hands, all the wards (sorta) and come hither become worth using aswell.

Reply #2
thanks for input helped loads

• mrW
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
With toxic rain being a slightly better field aoe due to its size and overall damage onto heavily geared opponent because it deals infliction damage.
It's Poison damage I'm pretty sure. Otherwise, your reply deserves a sitcky on Player Guides forum.

"Our title system is an expansion of the titles in the same spirit than the destroyer title. These will NOT be classes and will be completely optional."

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
Feel free to test ingame...just know that poison damage isnt a thing.
Its either acid (earth magic mostly) or infliction (bleed damage, needles/rend?/toxic rain)

And like i said, its only slightly better. You could go with vulcano from fire magic for the screen shake. But its aoe size is quite a bit smaller.
You could go for any other field aoe, and you'll be dealing almost the same ammount of damage.
The firewall/flames of vengance (arcane)/death fog? (necro) all create clouds big enough to make following opponents slightly more difficult.
Icestorm is the only field aoe who's damage is another (small) step below that. But its blinding effect is far more potent.

Also why i said that insect swarm would be a highly used ray, but it had a cast time introduced.
(mostly because destroyers still have access to it).
Thats another bleed spell, which makes heavy armor impact the damage output far less.

• nubnax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
there is poison damage and it is reduced with infliction protection, same as bleeding damage
Bala Eregi
SG of Bewahrer der Welten
SG of The Tausian Dominion

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
So its the same thing then...

• nubnax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
i guess mechanically it is. but it still says poison damage in system chat. it is pretty much irrelevant but you argued with mrw that there is no such thing as poison damage which is simply not true.
Bala Eregi
SG of Bewahrer der Welten
SG of The Tausian Dominion

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
Alright, i was wrong about what the damage type is called.
Still havnt unlocked it currently, so its been a few years.

Thankfully i did remember that the resistance is infliction, so it stays relavant the most as your opponents get more and more heavily equipped.

• mrW
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
Didn't intend to derail this, rather just to provide a small correction.

Regarding the types, infliction protection is ment to protect against different damage types. Poison damage is one of those types that it protects against, but technically they are not the same thing.

Otherwise, do you also consider piercing and arrow protection same? I don't. I however understand how one might with the current implementation tho.

"Our title system is an expansion of the titles in the same spirit than the destroyer title. These will NOT be classes and will be completely optional."

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
I view those seperate as they are shown seperate on the paper doll too?
At the very least there's seperate buffs and debuffs for them, so the difference is made more clear.

Reply #11
Not played much then if you haven't leveled greater magic to unlock venom.