Skip to main content

Topic: Harvesting Heatmap (Read 1065 times) previous topic - next topic

Harvesting Heatmap
Hey everyone, so since the harvesting changes will count in all bindstones, i was curious where ressource hotspots could be.
The map i created shows the bindstones as red and harvesting hotspots as green'ish areas.

Harvesting Heatmap

It's very interesting to see and hope it may help anyone to harvest more effectively in the future.

NOTE: this is a extreme case scenario and the green'ish areas should only be the top hotspots. The map will be adjusted. As soon as i should get more information from the DEVs about the size of the effecting area from each bindstone.
  • Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 05:56:56 pm by vanvaldenburg

• nubnax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Harvesting Heatmap
Reply #1
You forgot some cities like tiquiya and ganjali but added a lot of other bindstones that aren't cities or hamlets. Is that villages?

Edit:
If that's chaos bindstones then this map is pretty pointless. A bindstone without bank probably won't count towards that statement
  • Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 05:43:23 pm by nubnax
Bala Eregi
SG of Bewahrer der Welten
SG of The Tausian Dominion

Reply #2
You forgot some cities like tiquiya and ganjali but added a lot of other bindstones that aren't cities or hamlets. Is that villages?

Edit:
If that's chaos bindstones then this map is pretty pointless. A bindstone without bank probably won't count towards that statement
Thanks for the feedback. Tiquiya is indeed missing will also add that.
However i can't seem to find Ganjali. Could you point me in the right direction on where that holding is?

I took all bindstones in account but villages. @Ub3rgames said that every bindstone will count but village bindstones, since they want villages be more worthwhile for harvesters. I remember that was also said about the chaos cities, so i excluded them as well.

It would be great if we could get a statement from Ub3r in here if this map is somewhat accurate to the plans they have.

• nubnax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
I probably wrote rhe name wrong. The city on the central southern part of ruby. If they exlude chaos cities why would they include chaosstones?
Bala Eregi

Reply #4
I probably wrote rhe name wrong. The city on the central southern part of ruby. If they exlude chaos cities why would they include chaosstones?
Imo it would kinda make sense. Chaos cities are bindstones without zap towers. Same for villages. So the risk is pretty high and the reward should also be higher. Also it is a very good way to promote these places especially villages since they really need it.

The normal bindstones are further increasing the possibility of hotspots because they narrow down the area that got a high reward.
It would make sense to have these count in when you look at the map. Take into account that these green areas are probably really the top zones for ressources. Imo it's good to have only a few of these scattered around. In every race area there is like 3 of those hotspots.

EDIT: thanks for the help, the two cities will be included soon ;)
  • Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 06:15:21 pm by vanvaldenburg

Reply #5
Shouldn't there be one at Silvertown too?

Reply #6
Nice initiative.
We have not settled yet on the exact algorithm, but the final result should take into account both bindstones and bank locations and will be very close to this.
We are still on the fence about integrating the lonely chaos stones. Villages will not impact it, so they should generally be in better areas.

The gradient will also be much smoother and gradual, but this map is a great visualisation on how the highest "hotspots" will be.
On first view, this looks like this will be a Niffleheim buff, and there is a nice spread of hotspots.
Note that some locations may be impacted by wild nodes too, as they will buff the area around them.

Here is a debate we would like to see:
Should we reveal the exact formula, for maps like these to exist, or should we keep it secret for new harvesters to have to explore and experiment to find spots they like?
The Darkfall: New Dawn Dev Team.

Reply #7
Nice initiative.
We have not settled yet on the exact algorithm, but the final result should take into account both bindstones and bank locations and will be very close to this.
We are still on the fence about integrating the lonely chaos stones. Villages will not impact it, so they should generally be in better areas.

The gradient will also be much smoother and gradual, but this map is a great visualisation on how the highest "hotspots" will be.
On first view, this looks like this will be a Niffleheim buff, and there is a nice spread of hotspots.
Note that some locations may be impacted by wild nodes too, as they will buff the area around them.

Here is a debate we would like to see:
Should we reveal the exact formula, for maps like these to exist, or should we keep it secret for new harvesters to have to explore and experiment to find spots they like?

we have the formulas for almost nothing, so I see no reason to define it so exactly and in general a little mystery about how to take the most advantage from systems is good for the game.

That said, what I think needs defining are the things people need to know for making character choices. When you choose a race you don't know if you have a large or small hit box or short or long reach or are tall or short (for new players), there is little info on what different attributes effect, or even what different types of damage are (mental malediction, infliction particularly), nor info on weapon lengths and arcs, etc...

• nubnax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
i see it like mycke. reveal more information about weapons, skills and spells.
show us what effects our current attribute and skill levels have and what they would be when they are maxed out.

but don't tell us anything about those hotspots. people who like to harvest more will find out where to harvest best and have an advantage. and we probably will have a map like geckzilla or yourmum eventually for it but it will take time and people like to find out those things.

why are you thinking about adding chaosstones? do you have an idea to improve them somehow and make them more usefull? because right now their use is very minimal.
isn't this idea about risk vs reward. distance to banks is a factor here but distance to chaos stones isn't really. the only advantage you would have is if you'd die to mobs while harvesting. so you could run to your gravestone faster. but who dies to mobs while harvesting?

if a player attacks you it's all about surviving until you banked your harvested goods. either by killing the attacker or fleeing to closest bank. chaos stones don't factor in there at all.

edit:
plus not including chaos stones would make certain places a heaven for a more carebear harvester playstyle.
want to be a harvester with just a little thrill of the dangerous world of darkfall that get's most of his goods in relative safety and travels once a week to one of the main markets to sell what you have? get a house on the village at skull island.
live in  a secluded, relatively safe place with probably like minded players with the occasional visit of a single marauder or group of marauders who hope for easy booty.
wouldn't be for most people but isn't this option exactly what you want to achieve? more possibilities for different playstyles.
  • Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 08:26:07 am by nubnax
Bala Eregi

Reply #9
show us what effects our current attribute and skill levels have and what they would be when they are maxed out.

but don't tell us anything about those hotspots. people who like to harvest more will find out where to harvest best and have an advantage. and we probably will have a map like geckzilla or yourmum eventually for it but it will take time and people like to find out those things.

why are you thinking about adding chaosstones? do you have an idea to improve them somehow and make them more usefull? because right now their use is very minimal.
isn't this idea about risk vs reward. distance to banks is a factor here but distance to chaos stones isn't really. the only advantage you would have is if you'd die to mobs while harvesting. so you could run to your gravestone faster. but who dies to mobs while harvesting?

if a player attacks you it's all about surviving until you banked your harvested goods. either by killing the attacker or fleeing to closest bank. chaos stones don't factor in there at all.

edit:
plus not including chaos stones would make certain places a heaven for a more carebear harvester playstyle.
want to be a harvester with just a little thrill of the dangerous world of darkfall that get's most of his goods in relative safety and travels once a week to one of the main markets to sell what you have? get a house on the village at skull island.
live in  a secluded, relatively safe place with probably like minded players with the occasional visit of a single marauder or group of marauders who hope for easy booty.
wouldn't be for most people but isn't this option exactly what you want to achieve? more possibilities for different playstyles.

You are missing the need to transport from these out of the way 'safe' places which makes getting the mats to a useful place pretty unsafe and a wash overall.

• nubnax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
i actually didn't. i wrote bringing items to a market once a week. you could get to an agreement with a player who's a traveling merchant. i know some people are already planning on how to best be a traveling merchant after launch.

the group of harvesters living in that village could also form a small guild that organizes themselves to get their wares savely to a place to sell or higher protection.

so many possibilities for sand in the box ;)

PS:
will stop about that now as it's derailing the thread.
  • Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 09:59:55 am by nubnax
Bala Eregi

Reply #11

edit:

I can make a map without the chaos stones and we may then see, that there would be too many hotspots.
Villages area already excluded so you still could live in a village/house like you described and harvest there.
You also described that chaos stones are pretty much unused. This imo just favors the conclusion to include them for the harvesting debuff. Nobody would live at a chaos stone like you said, so why should there be a hotspot then, for me it just seems too much when they exclude chaos stones. Imo there will be too many places with good harvesting nodes that are not frequently visited or too low on risk to have this harvesting buff.

You should see chaos stones more as a tool to further decrease the real top hotspots. Like @Ub3rgames said this is a somewhat accurate map but also it would represent really the "highest hotspots".

Reply #12
Speaking of chaos stones, though they were okay as is with global banking, they will be almost useless with local banking, especially because so few have a wilderness bank anywhere near by and really they seem to be more clustered than evenly spread.

I think they should add another 5-10 wilderness banks and place them among clusters of chaos stones so where ever there are 2-3 stones within a few zones a near by zone has a bank.

• nubnax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #13
@vanvaldenburg
you picked circles with a random radius and with no gradient. who knows maybe they are not even going to use circles for the zoning.
your map will never really be an accurate representation, only a rough estimate at best or completely missleading at worst.

@Mycke
i don't think it's good to place banks all over the map. it devalues holdings. it could also make it far too easy to save your loot when the next bank is always just a few minutes away.
Bala Eregi

Reply #14
@vanvaldenburg
you picked circles with a random radius and with no gradient. who knows maybe they are not even going to use circles for the zoning.
your map will never really be an accurate representation, only a rough estimate at best or completely missleading at worst.