Skip to main content

Topic: Solo players (Read 1681 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Solo players
Reply #30
@Suncross  These changes are zerg/small group agnostic.
Troop commitment will have value, attack a location and if half the zerg is doing stuff elsewhere, then they can't come back instantly to overwhelm a smaller force. But on the other hand, a small force can't come in, loot and disappear. A zerg will be able to, as they backup, try to surround the small group and the small group will have to plan their getaway.
Good groups will prevail, and knowing when to call quits will be an important factor.

Really, this is not punishing good players, quite the contrary. It will reward better players the most. If enemies come back, and lose again, they will be just donating more loot, just like they always have. If players are good at predicting others, they will cut off fleeing targets or manage better escapes and will get more loot.
These are just different sets of player skills. Akin to "map awareness".

Didn't destroyed items remain on the body for a while to prevent destruction out of spite? If it wasn't the case, it will be in New Dawn.
If you lose, you should accept the consequences.

@nietoperz We do plan for unique/localized resources to be heavier to prevent what you said. Including existing ones like enchanting mats. With portal shards consumption increasing exponentially over weight and distance, we can find the right balance that will make it non sustainable to teleport with goods.
The Darkfall: New Dawn Dev Team.

Reply #31
@Suncross  These changes are zerg/small group agnostic.
Troop commitment will have value, attack a location and if half the zerg is doing stuff elsewhere, then they can't come back instantly to overwhelm a smaller force. But on the other hand, a small force can't come in, loot and disappear. A zerg will be able to, as they backup, try to surround the small group and the small group will have to plan their getaway.
Good groups will prevail, and knowing when to call quits will be an important factor.

Really, this is not punishing good players, quite the contrary. It will reward better players the most. If enemies come back, and lose again, they will be just donating more loot, just like they always have. If players are good at predicting others, they will cut off fleeing targets or manage better escapes and will get more loot.
These are just different sets of player skills. Akin to "map awareness".

Didn't destroyed items remain on the body for a while to prevent destruction out of spite? If it wasn't the case, it will be in New Dawn.
If you lose, you should accept the consequences.

@nietoperz We do plan for unique/localized resources to be heavier to prevent what you said. Including existing ones like enchanting mats. With portal shards consumption increasing exponentially over weight and distance, we can find the right balance that will make it non sustainable to teleport with goods.

Items used to disappear until AV patched it so that it didnt decay until after 5 or 15  mins after deleting. I think the 2012 client should have the changes patched in.
Ingame names
New Dawn: Kenshiro Ryu
Dragon Empire SG
Help defend the Humanlands! Join us!
Are you the Dragon Hero of Legends?

• Fnights
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #32
I've wiped out a boat of 10 people single handedly, and then scooped up the corpses and boat by myself and recalled home.

This is another reason, risk vs reward, in DnD there will be lots of people not into pvp like crafters, gatherers, merchants, and you can kill them very easily as a veteran, it mean more reward for you while you risk pratically nothing and just recalling, so now this restriction make sense, for balance purpose.
You should understand that DnD will not aim only to the old playerbase with a pvp mindset, will aim to be a sandbox where both pvp and other non-pvp activities should be equally balanced.
When you get a big reward fro ma easy target you should have a big risk too.

Less fast and instant traveling is part of the localized economy.

@Morad For your strongbox scenario, just have a mount and a pack, and you will be able to place the content of your strongbox in your mount which will then follow you like a pack mule.

Wow, this is a fantastic addition, the pack mule with a movable strongbox. I like it, is a great tool for merchant and crafters and for moving goods between racial regions.

Hopefully you can attack the strongbox to a blue tail too, and you will add more speed on streets (dont' remember if you mention it). Less:)
  • Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 08:00:44 am by Fnights
DnD full roadmap
Darkfall Online (Eu-1)
2009~2012
DF1 broken issues

Reply #33
I don't really buy the argument about no recalling allowing groups to take revenge. When people start riding the chances of any group being caught are extremely small. Having to recall used to give the best chance for people to be caught by the original group, it was a long channel and very noisy.
  • Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 03:00:13 pm by Oriphus
'Combat will be great - The reason combat will be great is because we will make it great - However, if combat isn't great we will change it so that combat is great, therefore - Combat will be great.' paraphrased from the core circular logic answer to all questions department

Reply #34

Think it was a 5 min timer. Although it would seem to be destroyed for the player trashing it, if the person was killed within that 5 mins the items would be still there to loot.
'Combat will be great - The reason combat will be great is because we will make it great - However, if combat isn't great we will change it so that combat is great, therefore - Combat will be great.' paraphrased from the core circular logic answer to all questions department

• Morad
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #35
@Morad For your strongbox scenario, just have a mount and a pack, and you will be able to place the content of your strongbox in your mount which will then follow you like a pack mule.

I can see using this crossing over land.
But if my primary travel for that excursion is raft, I'm assuming "Pack Mule" would not work.
Don't think my Mule will get on the Raft.

• Fnights
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #36

I can see using this crossing over land.
But if my primary travel for that excursion is raft, I'm assuming "Pack Mule" would not work.
Don't think my Mule will get on the Raft.

They will add strongboxes and perma bank to ships too, for people who want to live in the sea. :)
DnD full roadmap
Darkfall Online (Eu-1)
2009~2012
DF1 broken issues

Reply #37
I don't really buy the argument about no recalling allowing groups to take revenge. When people start riding the chances of any group being caught are extremely small. Having to recall used to give the best chance for people to be caught by the original group, it was a long channel and very noisy.

Not at the scales we are thinking of.
We design the systems for success, so we have to find what works well with a population similar to what was present at launch in 2009. In that situation, a group that is away from the city, at a spawn for example, will be converging back on the escaping group, With some skill, they can predict their path, cut them off and make a new fight occur.

And in general, not being able to recall full of gear means more chances of meeting someone else that may want to claim that gear.

@Morad We confirm. There will be some strongboxes and packs for rafts and other small ships for these kind of purposes. Larger ships will of course have much more cargo.
The Darkfall: New Dawn Dev Team.

Reply #38
oppps wrong thread

I love to brainstorm and give a ton of suggestions while I'm bored at work! Feel free to steal from them and suggest different ideas!