Skip to main content

Topic: Leveling character (Read 475 times) previous topic - next topic

• MKH
  • [*][*][*]
Leveling character
So i've now been leveling my character for 11 days and there is one HUGE problem i see with this system. I don't think it's in anyway reasonable to make people hit 10k times with same skill spell archery for mobs tens of hours to get something leveled so they can move on for something more interesting in game.

I think that even how flawed game DFUW was it had better system for leveling. (feats in it self were just not too well thought out) I'd much rather had experience points from doing quests which i then could put on what ever skill i want so i could just enjoy gaming doing quests exploring the game and still level up archery melee etc. Now it's notoriously boring job that i really can't blame people already bugging mobs in BETA to hit them for 10 hours with autoclick while others healing the mob since this system is completely flawed.

I suppose the solution could already be the thing i've seen suggested on forums that you get better gains while hitting harder mobs, but problem in this is that you already need stronger character to be able to hit melee for example on these harder mobs and you need to get alot better armor so need to think away you can get to those in reasonable time. Personally i'd like to see DFUW like system develop just further so i can do questing killing some mobs related to those quests and at the same time level up melee and archery skills and all the rest nicely.

Experience points from quests could be then counted to match current leveling speed. Like if doing the quest takes roughly 20 mins it was equal current leveling with mobs 20 mins. I think current leveling speed is good for launch - slow for beta - and with this kinda system where you are not forced to hit same mobs tens of hours just to get some skill up it would remove the grind feeling from the leveling and make building up character actually a fun job.

And no meditation points from quests ain't the same thing. Meditation is alot slower process and is done offline so it doesn't cut it.  And you need to meditate stats etc. already anyways so it would be great if one could level up things in game doing more exciting stuff than hitting same mobs for hours.
Viil Taja

Re: Leveling character
Reply #1
And so the quest hub grinders were born...

• MKH
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #2

Well I'd rather grind quests than hit 30 hours with melee on same mobs to get skill leveled. And if they provide variety of quests it doesn't even feel like grinding. Clearly killing mobs can also give experience so those that like killing same mobs for hours can do so.
Viil Taja

Reply #3
Personally I hate quests. I think they're a tedious fluff feature of the game that don't really teach you anything, aren't really that fun at all and seem more like a chore you have to do to gain the meditation points like everyone else. If I had to do quests to skill up too I think I'd just not bother.

Reply #4

Well I'd rather grind quests than hit 30 hours with melee on same mobs to get skill leveled. And if they provide variety of quests it doesn't even feel like grinding. Clearly killing mobs can also give experience so those that like killing same mobs for hours can do so.

Only game I played where PvE somewhat didn't feel like grinding was Guildwars 2.

Reply #5
What AV did in Unholy Wars was an overhaul. They gave you all but 1 of your abilities (your ultimate) from the start, and they changed the progression system to a standard XP system.

So you had stuff to play with early on but the biggest change I noticed was that many skills didn't gain damage as you leveled them. Instead they had a bit shorter cooldown, and less stat drain, etc... So even playerds with 45k prowess, which took like a week or so to get, were able to pvp.

I wasn't too big on that progression system, but I did like that you could jump into the game years later and be pvp viable in a few weeks. That's one of the biggest issues I've had with DFO, and EVE, and many grindy or time spent games, you cannot get your friends to play with you down the line because of the power gap.

DFUW tried to focus on a working economy, and they got a good start, I am sure they made a bunch of money on that game before they abandoned it. Economy on these games is the way to keep players hooked. 

• Textra
  • [*][*]
Reply #6

Well I'd rather grind quests than hit 30 hours with melee on same mobs to get skill leveled...

Then, sir, you are in the wrong game. I'm not flaming you here, but to get better at archery, one should have to, you know, do archery. The point is, if you choose to grind your archery, to continue with that example, all at one time to 75 or even 100, that's your decision as a player. You could choose to take a more well rounded approach and alternate what you level on any particular day; today I feel like fishing, tomorrow I feel like arching gobbos, etc. Much of what people call grind in this game is a mad headlong drive to be "competitive", to get the Proper™ build in order to PvP. If that's what you want, awesome, more power to you, but don't be surprised when the game feels grindy if all you choose to do is grind.
  • Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 10:14:43 am by Textra
History - NA-1: River Fey - Mostly freelance, but I joined the Aussie clan Bushrangers for about a month or two before quitting DFO.
Current - EU-1: River Fey - Unaffiliated.

Reply #7
You have all I hope read about the changes coming to how we level up?  Certainly sounds like the op hasn't.

• MKH
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #8
You have all I hope read about the changes coming to how we level up?  Certainly sounds like the op hasn't.
Viil Taja

• MKH
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #9

Guilty as charged 😊 gonna go check it now. But tone in your post makes me hope it's something I'm gonna like. Fingers crossed 😉
Viil Taja

Reply #10

Guilty as charged 😊 gonna go check it now. But tone in your post makes me hope it's something I'm gonna like. Fingers crossed 😉
The tldr is higher level mobs will give more skill, as will wearing higher end gear. Devs are building a "the  more you risk the more you'll get"  system. Also coupled with the engagement system to make group PvE worthwhile.

Reply #11
The system will be fixed with the addition of most if not all skills and spells to med, instant spend meditation at 10x cost, and exp multipliers on group numbers engaged and level of the mob.