Skip to main content

Topic: Strafing speed / circle strafing (Read 2601 times) previous topic - next topic

Strafing speed / circle strafing
Just a simple question to Ub3rgames.

Are you guys considering allowing players to strafe with sprint on?
In original Darkfall strafing was cancelling the sprint, is it still going to work like that, or are you considering changig that, to allow circle strafing manuvers in line with any other FPS game on this planet :)
  • Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 10:05:56 am by sodapop

Re: Strafing speed / circle strafing
Reply #1
We are considering it yes. We will try it out and see how it impacts gameplay.
It was frustrating to us as well that strafing was not acting "intuitively" compared to other games.
The Darkfall: New Dawn Dev Team.

Reply #2
Awesome, thanks!

Reply #3
But this is what made part of Maharim interesting, part of the bonus of being a walking hit me first player :/
'Combat will be great - The reason combat will be great is because we will make it great - However, if combat isn't great we will change it so that combat is great, therefore - Combat will be great.' paraphrased from the core circular logic answer to all questions department

Reply #4
Yes we're aware of the racial perk, but having "logical movement" shouldn't be a perk, it should be the baseline.
We'll find something else for them to compensate. Remember that we have some plans regarding racial diversity and asymmetric balance. They will at least get balanced reach compared to their hitbox, and later down the line, four legged run.
The Darkfall: New Dawn Dev Team.

• Fnights
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
They will at least get balanced reach compared to their hitbox, and later down the line, four legged run.

Thanks for this, as a proud wolf i refuse to play alfar or human female to have the hitbox and reach advantage.

Wolf for the life, no matter what. :)

ps: the 2010 model was amazing too.
  • Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 01:16:26 pm by Fnights
DnD full roadmap
Darkfall Online (Eu-1)
2009~2012
DF1 broken issues

Reply #6
To clarify, is the suggestion to make it so that strafe speed is just as fast as sprint?Edit: Spelling

Reply #7
To clarify, is the suggestion to make it so that strafe speed is just as fast as sprint?Edit: Spelling

The suggestion is to allow players to strafe with sprint on. So yeah, the strafing speed would be the same as moving forward.

Reply #8
But this is what made part of Maharim interesting, part of the bonus of being a walking hit me first player :/

exactly , i vote no

Reply #9
I do not see the point of this. 1) its unrealistic, strafing is slower than sprinting, 2) its a nerf to mahirim, 3) it removes depth/complexity from combat by ,potentially, turning fights into two people strafing back and forth staring each other down.

Reply #10
Point is making the movement in game in line with other fps games. Dont talk about realism as it's a computer game. It does't remove depth, it just changes the way you move, so you dont have to zig-zag around like an idiot if you want to dodge something.

Reply #11
Darkfall's implementation of strafe was awkward and often annoying. The fact that you were forced to into run mode from sprinting, even if your strafe was diagonal, made me abandon strafing all together in favor of figure 8 or zigzag sprinting. Especially since switching back to sprint came with nominal stamina cost. Overall you'd lose more stamina by switching between sprinting and strafing, than you would by sprinting alone.

Sprint strafe wouldn't have to be at exact same speed as as forward sprint, but it should still provide noticeable speed boost.
Diagonal at 60-70% and sideway at 30-40% sprint multiplier.

Reply #12
I also vote no.  In DF1 there was a passive ability that allowed you to side step faster but you couldnt take double jump if I remember right.
  • Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 06:52:23 pm by Rethgar

Reply #13
omg, dont fuck the combat.

Reply #14
I also vote no, completely unneeded change and fucks with the flavor of mahirim. Pointless.