Skip to main content

Topic: Mycke's guide for New Players (Read 2999 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Mycke's guide for New Players
Reply #15
I am 99% sure its 40%

Reply #16
Bump: Updated to reflect some changes to the game
Mycke Soulslayer - Supreme General: Rastalfarian - An all Alfar clan of all play styles in all time zones, welcoming new and vet players alike.

Reply #17
Bump and starting to update @Ub3rgames please pin, thank you.
Mycke Soulslayer - Supreme General: Rastalfarian - An all Alfar clan of all play styles in all time zones, welcoming new and vet players alike.

Reply #18
Done.
The Darkfall: New Dawn Dev Team.

Reply #19
Apologies if i am posting this in the wrong area but i would like to ask a question.

I've been looking at this and other guides just recently and am thinking of purchasing/joining the game for the first time. The consensus I've been reading from these new player guides is that players who wish to stay blue or just avoid conflict or mass pvp, seem to be on the low end of the totem pole. Personally after playing games like Eve online I truly enjoyed being a miner/crafter for an entire corporation and would really enjoy doing that for some clan in this game most likely. The only thing stopping me from buying and enjoying what seems to be a wonderful game is that the way these guides make it seem is that every step outside of a town will have you constantly watching your back and expect that every single person would be more likely to just kill you and loot you than to ever find a foothold or even make friendships. It also sounds like everyone will stab you in the back so grouping up or having faith for anything will likely just result in you helping for nothing as they kill you and take all the loot. Is there truly no safety other than a bank to be had for newer players who want to play this way?

• Otis
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #20
Yes, there's little incentive for staying blue and zero punishment for going red/rogue.  Expect to be killed on sight by anyone outside your own clan, no matter if you're just a naked newb farming goblins on day 1.  In game communication is horrible, if you want to communicate with players your best bet is joining their team speak or discord.  Because of all of this the game is extremely unfriendly to new clan less players.  Future patches on the engagement system and local banking will go a long way to fix this.

Reply #21
Apologies if i am posting this in the wrong area but i would like to ask a question.

I've been looking at this and other guides just recently and am thinking of purchasing/joining the game for the first time. The consensus I've been reading from these new player guides is that players who wish to stay blue or just avoid conflict or mass pvp, seem to be on the low end of the totem pole. Personally after playing games like Eve online I truly enjoyed being a miner/crafter for an entire corporation and would really enjoy doing that for some clan in this game most likely. The only thing stopping me from buying and enjoying what seems to be a wonderful game is that the way these guides make it seem is that every step outside of a town will have you constantly watching your back and expect that every single person would be more likely to just kill you and loot you than to ever find a foothold or even make friendships. It also sounds like everyone will stab you in the back so grouping up or having faith for anything will likely just result in you helping for nothing as they kill you and take all the loot. Is there truly no safety other than a bank to be had for newer players who want to play this way?

There are a lot of variables in this and I can give you a perfect example.

I started a clan a month ago and almost everyone but me in it is brand new (less than a month old) and I even have a member who actively seeking fights and though hes jumping people they will often raise him because they either know me or can tell they are new and even once he was pked he was again raised and only once has someone actually ganked him for doing nothing and once for being aggressive,

So this game isnt a gank box and though there are people who will kill you on site, for the most part it is very situational. The other night we were in white view (a chaos city) with 3 other clans all not allied and everyone just did their thing and no one messed with each other.

So you will get killed on occasion because it is a harsh game, but the general playerbase is not kill on site so less pvp oriented players can enjoy it as long as they are cool with dying sometimes as beign what makes not dying and succeeding all the more fun.
  • Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 01:00:32 am by Mycke

Reply #22
@Otis & Mycke

Appreciate clearing that up for me, both of you have very different ways to tell what can and will happen in game but both are equally valid. I was hoping that it wouldn't be a complete gank box in game as i find that boring and not fun. I assume each player will have their own experience of the game so seeing many people telling both the positives and negatives leads to informed choices. Come pay day i may see some of y'all in game, hope I'm not on the receiving end of too much of the negative kind of attention lol. In other games, crafters kind of had a happy medium where those who had bought items from those crafters would generally either leave them alone or even protect them sometimes. In DF i can easily see they wouldn't have that kind of game play without being in a clan and even then they would have to be extremely useful to a clan to be worth protecting lol.

Reply #23
As long as you are blue, other blue members of your race alliance are less likely to attack you. There is repercussions for going red, allthough there is no concorde like in Eve. Also as a new ish player there is a good chance that you get rezzed if you got pked, allthough there is no garanty for that.
If you join the game I recommend joining a good clan that can provide you with some safety. There has always been well respected traders/crafters whose services were thought out throughout the community and that have made big bank and gathered a lot of influence on their way if they desired so.
--------------------------------------------------
Ingame: Ori Ori

Reply #24
@AngelicGrim
If we may intervene, the reward structure for remaining blue is not completed yet, but should be for launch.
We too do not want to have a gankbox on our hands, and we want to promote racial unity and conflict.

While you will never be safe in Darkfall, you should end up safer with members of your race, and always check the bushes for sub-races scum.
The Darkfall: New Dawn Dev Team.

Reply #25
Very helpful post.  Thanks Mycke.
Old Timers Guild
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." - Socrates