Skip to main content

Topic: Make NPC tower blast anyone committing a hostile act (Read 1891 times) previous topic - next topic

Make NPC tower blast anyone committing a hostile act
Simplify and remove newbie greifing loop holes, make NPC tower blast anyone committing a hostile act

Clan mates fighting in NPC towers - Blasted
Wardec guilds fighting in NPC towers - Blasted

If you up resistances, heal and survive the towers then good luck to ya, you planned it, you deserve it, likewise if you take them out without the towers killing you.

Otherwise take the fight outside.

• 45s
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Make NPC tower blast anyone committing a hostile act
Reply #1
Simplify and remove newbie greifing loop holes, make NPC tower blast anyone committing a hostile act

If you up resistances, heal and survive the towers then good luck to ya, you planned it, you deserve it, likewise if you take them out without the towers killing you.

So you want to make all the player cities near NPC cities easily siegable?
ALL your concerns will be 100% fixed in DnD.

Reply #2
They are easier to siege logistically already, the trade off is IMO worth it.

Reply #3

But i like hitting my clanmates while AFK at the bank to scare them.  Why would you take this away from me :(

• Fnights
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
I know how you feel, some sociopath nolifers (like pat's last videos) trying to damage DnD griefing new players 24/7 and force them to leave releasing bad reviews.
However the new alignment system (grace period on mounts, grace period on mob/player tombs, rogue status if you party with red/ rogue players/arac clan/alliances, wardec cost proportionated to members, cross healings and buffs) can prevent this degrading behaviour without turn starter zones into full safe zones.
Have faith, as Ub3r said, new alignment system and scaling mob spawns are next top priority.

• Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 02:59:13 pm by Fnights
DnD full roadmap
Darkfall Online (Eu-1)
2009~2012
DF1 broken issues

Reply #5
@Fnights Not asking for full safe zones, the more complex the systems the more loop holes the players will find,

Its a very simple fix.

• 45s
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
They are easier to siege logistically already, the trade off is IMO worth it.

With local banking. racial warfare and healthy server population: If you are racial clan and own a holding near racially allied NPC city, it will be a lot harder to take it from you than a usual holding. The tides are changing on this a lot since DFO.
ALL your concerns will be 100% fixed in DnD.

Reply #7
Don't disagree with holdings near NPC cities having differing dynamics when local banking (gulp) gets implemented.

Currently the alignment and war-dec system in the NPC cities hugely favors a griefing play style - its all rewards, very little if any risk, and there are no ways to combat it from within the system.  It is one of the reasons the NPC cities were deserted in DFO.

Example 1 - I came back to DFO with a small group of friends, back when AV implemented mediation, (or could have been a dollar offer).  We were a clan in another game and quickly and proudly set up our clan in DF, then comes the Wardecs, more experienced players wiped the floor with my newbie clan.  After a few days we dropped our clan, simply couldn't level and learn the game whilst under wardecs.  One friend went to the forums and got the good old Forumfall response of "Df's not for you".  All of my friends quit, quoting grind and griefing as the main reasons.  This is a crappy experience for newer clans wishing to join the game, I beleive part of the reason end game was stale same guilds doing same stuff - no opportunity for new clans to seed and grow, when they get greifed out of existence.  People may say lesson learned - however 4 out of 5 from a small guild of PvPr's quit, that's how this is damaging to the population of the game as a whole.

Example 2 - I eventually joined a more established clan - Battlesaints, we live in shared holdings, recruited newbies, trained them and moved them out of NPC towns to PC holdings and that was great.  It was a huge difference in experience, much fun - inevitably we would lose a holding or get kicked out thru some politics or other (once we were kicked out for making too much noise - seriously!). Then life got tough, we tried to live out of the NPC cities to rebuild and regroup.  Each time we went back to living out of the NPC holding it was like being thrown into the abyss.  More Wardecs would come and we would fight in the NPC cities, starts as fun but then the bluebie blockers join the fight.  A few players lose gear and boom none wants to fight under towers, crafters are forced to drop tags, some vets would go offline for weeks until we got a new holding, the clan roaster would always shrink (some come back other disappear).  Its a brutal double whammy - hey you've lost your home, now go live in the hive and scum and villainy called NPC Dorfland and get griefed.  There's no space for a clan to lick your wounds and rebound from a loss. Every time we would lose one or two newer clannies - it wasn't due to losing the holding, it was weeks/days after, during the experience of trying to live in an NPC town. The mantra was always well they were just not cut out for Darkfall - maybe, i think they just didn't get a chance.

Example 3 - Starting to happen again, War-dec are coming in DND, we told our crafters this would happen, people still got killed at the crafting stations, despite being warned. You could blame the crafters, sure they could have been more careful, however the whole system is weighted against someone who wants to be a clan crafter.  Crafters have left the clan, simply not interested in dealing with the War-dec.  The only recourse is to have crafters drop tags - which is seriously lame, and then opens you up to the clan invite spamming morons who think PVP is about using the guild invite system to kill new players or players who miss-click.

Possible solutions

Make NPC towers blast anyone who's an aggressor.  Simple & clean.

Make unwar-dec-able - a peace flag, "togglable"  Basically - any clan could set at "peace", drop all alliances, drop all ownership (hamlets/cities), drop all war-dec's and be un-war decible - basically at Peace. Allowing them time to use the NPC cities to hide, rearm, regroup and as a base to live out of (alignment allowing).

The problem with the current set up is its too painful on a growing guild and newer players to be cast back into the wretched hive of scum and villainy that was the NPC cities.

• Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 02:09:06 am by Rhuk Greybeard

Reply #8
Griefing and using these ingame mechanics are part of Darkfall ! Its what makes Darkfall great as some would say!
just dont expect new players to stay when they see this happening to them or their newly formed clans or friends.
Or others willingly to try the game when the shit hits the fans and the player reviews & metacritic comes out.

But the ones that played DF since launch, the DF crowd that is here now,  will still be around, hopefully thats enough income to keep the hamster going.
The thing with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln

Reply #9
How about we not turn Darkfall into "carebear let's all hold hands" land?  Having clans i'm at war with in cities is one of my favorite parts of the game.  You should not feel safe ANYWHERE.  Some of my favorite moments were hunting down griefers through player cities trying to revenge some of my fallen comrades or new blue players that they were picking on. 

This is Darkfall.  There are so, so many other games out there if you can't handle it.  Let's keep this one niche game hardcore please.

Reply #10
No, actually this is Darkfall - New Dawn - the game formally known as dark fall died, remember financially unsustainable, empty world, stale end game, not enough players.

The whole toxic attitude of go find another game is pure BS, and again is what contributed to the death of the original.

• Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 08:29:01 am by Rhuk Greybeard

Reply #11
No, actually this is Darkfall - New Dawn - the game formally known as dark fall died, remember financially unsustainable, empty world, stale end game, not enough players.

The whole toxic attitude of go find another game is pure BS, and again is what contributed to the death of the original.

Right, which was due to a multitude of reasons.  Removing the dark, hardcore essence of the game, the thing that made the game unique among the gaming world is a crime against its legacy and the thousands of players that DID stick with the game and were loyal to it.  If you can't handle not feeling safe 24/7 and don't want to deal with losing your pixels, this game seriously isn't for you.

Reply #12
Griefing and using these ingame mechanics are part of Darkfall ! Its what makes Darkfall great as some would say!
It's what makes Darkfall is Gankbox.

Devs have second chance to try attract some new people, part is them - casual. Another guys, veterans, can still abuse clan system and this people go away.

Reply #13
It's what makes Darkfall is Gankbox.

Devs have second chance to try attract some new people, part is them - casual. Another guys, veterans, can still abuse clan system and this people go away.

you didnt see the irony of my post. It is what SOME people will say that its part of the game. the majority dont like this and knows it does damage in the long run.
the ones liking this like to go back to their empty server.

The thing with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln

Reply #14
Devs will make wars be expensive to maintain over time.