Skip to main content

Topic: 5th March 12.00 CET (Read 2365 times) previous topic - next topic

• Devil
  • [*][*][*]
Re: 5th March 12.00 CET
Reply #45
They might of put 25k down but i doubt they bought the rights for 25k. I mean buying a hotdog stand in New York City costs 100k+

Reply #46
They might of put 25k down but i doubt they bought the rights for 25k. I mean buying a hotdog stand in New York City costs 100k+
How many jobs do you have :D?

You cant hire a delivery driver for 20k in the states. Hell the left is pushing for 15 dollars an hour min wage which is a little more than 30k a year.

• Hyld
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #47
I have little doubt New Dawn (and by extension Darkfall 1), as well as DFUW, could've all been successful games in their own right, given proper development and if run as a sustainable business. No Triple A effort was necessary and would in fact defeat the purpose. There are countless old games that still have playerbases despite being from many generations ago; I was recently playing on the Project 1999 EQ1 Emu server and the game was still as wonderful as I remembered, with 1500 concurrent at peak - for a 20 year old non-isometric game, ported BACK to its 20 year old state. Ultima Online, EQ1's competitor at the time, is also still alive and playable.

It always simply comes down to how enjoyable the game is - the rest are excuses. For players interested in sandbox, the pleasantries always come last, if ever.  All variants of Darkfall could've been great games, but in the end, there were always a host of reasons why this never came to pass, though I'll always disagree with the notion that the potential just wasn't there and it was a futile undertaking from the start.

Personally, I've always felt that with Darkfall's combat being as exceptional as it was, its conquest systems serving their purpose - the emphasis needed to be on the game's RPG sandbox, which was entirely nonexistent despite boasting one of the best handcrafted game worlds ever made, a world absolutely ripe for making it all feel interconnected and meaningful, allowing players to "live" in that world and experience its combat and conquest organically, rather than it being the only thing to do, in meaningless "rinse-repeat" fashion. To my mind, one of the biggest problems (though there were many, I grant you that) was that no Darkfall has ever truly bothered to give a shit about its "virtual world".

If the price were low enough I'd even consider bidding on the rights just for the personal enjoyment (if nothing else) of looking behind the curtain and seeing what we have to work with. There's still just nothing like it out there, which is always the final irony of this whole thing.

Adun always nails things!
I gave decent money (purchased a few of the most costly accounts) to RoA and to DnD and do not regret it one bit; I would also be happy to put some more money if someone would take over; I abandoned RoA mostly for their lack of vision= no default race war and the "loony tunes" style bunny hopping garbage.

Although we will never know exactly what happened, from my prospective DnD made quite a few mistakes, chief among them the lack of moderation, thus allowing the Kretyns(TM) to poison the forum (and still mostly lingering here like wraiths on a grave) ; when it comes to game mechanics, two key elements, local banking and no fast travel, were very badly managed, leaving a playing vacuum that caused quite some damage.

On one side I regret this, on the other I am so busy with my current project that the most mature part of myself feels grateful not to have to go against any playing temptation.

DF has immense potential, at least in a niche segment; imagine if the cities and houses could be custom built/located.

Regards
HG
  • Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 03:30:51 pm by Hyld
Never overestimate the intelligence of your fellow human being

• Devil
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #48

You cant hire a delivery driver for 20k in the states. Hell the left is pushing for 15 dollars an hour min wage which is a little more than 30k a year.

I never said i was a delivery driver or a hotdog stand owner i was just giving statistics.

Reply #49

Probably Plan A from the options below:

-  Price A:  Franchise agreement; Franchise fee, plus monthly royalties -no buyout option- to the agreed term of the contract (3 to 5 years).
-  Price B:  Franchise agreement; Franchise fee, plus monthly royalties -with a buyout option- to the agreed term of the contract (3 years). The royalties paid will account towards the purchasing price.
-  Price C:  Purchasing Agreement;  selling price will be agreed upon in advance, payment options to be determined.  A down payment, plus equal monthly payments for the duration of the contract (2 years).

Reply #50

I never said i was a delivery driver or a hotdog stand owner i was just giving statistics.
I know man, sorry for the obscure response :)

I was replying to a mental image I got of a Darkfall dev in the server room, pizza boxes sitting on the server as he is just about to go to his second job, motivation to suffer through all this by a flying golden hotdog cart that is just outside his reach.

Need to get back on my meds.

Reply #51
I have never been the one to talk to Marc IG but I know many of you did. Anyone still talking to him? How long ago did you speak to him? I know he's around as I got stuck in dnd few weeks ago and he was there to help me. This thing is bizarre. People still capture villages. Some clans even bring alts to do it. You guys know something? :O

Reply #52
I have never been the one to talk to Marc IG but I know many of you did. Anyone still talking to him? How long ago did you speak to him? I know he's around as I got stuck in dnd few weeks ago and he was there to help me. This thing is bizarre. People still capture villages. Some clans even bring alts to do it. You guys know something? :O
Seems odd.´What was your issue when you say "stuck"?
Haven't talked with him in months. Can't log in since my char has been lost for about 4 months now :(

• Devil
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #53

Probably Plan A from the options below:

-  Price A:  Franchise agreement; Franchise fee, plus monthly royalties -no buyout option- to the agreed term of the contract (3 to 5 years).
-  Price B:  Franchise agreement; Franchise fee, plus monthly royalties -with a buyout option- to the agreed term of the contract (3 years). The royalties paid will account towards the purchasing price.
-  Price C:  Purchasing Agreement;  selling price will be agreed upon in advance, payment options to be determined.  A down payment, plus equal monthly payments for the duration of the contract (2 years).

Id guess price B Since if you were actually successful Price A means you turn over the assets at the end of your contract.

Reply #54
As far as I understand you will still own your IP (Code and modification written by you). But yes, at the end of the contract you will have to negotiate a new deal - and your code will me useless without the rights to run it in the game.
The Plan B had a higher initial fee, due to the buy-out option and royalty write off.

But yes, from a business perspective I would never go for A. Imagine you are successful and AV/oolasoft get greedy after 3-5 years and want more and ride on the success.

Reply #55

I doubt anyone knows anything.  All that's left are the haters and the lovers.  Those who don't care are long gone, indifferent and uninterested.  (The haters obviously care in their own perverse way as otherwise they'd be long gone too.)

Reply #56
As far as I understand you will still own your IP (Code and modification written by you). But yes, at the end of the contract you will have to negotiate a new deal - and your code will me useless without the rights to run it in the game.
The Plan B had a higher initial fee, due to the buy-out option and royalty write off.

But yes, from a business perspective I would never go for A. Imagine you are successful and AV/oolasoft get greedy after 3-5 years and want more and ride on the success.

It might actually look like something in the direction of A lol. The full IP is several 100k euros afaik, as the rights are split between some old Razorwax devs also, and any full acquisition of IP has to be solved with them aswell. Last time someone wanted to buy the full IP for Darkfall 1, it had a very steep price, something above a mill USD.

AV can't sell Darkfall 1's IP, but I think they can lease it like they do now. Any settlement during the DF1 dev days from the old Razorwax devs to allow AV to use it as they wish for "business purposes" or however it is specified in those contracts at that time, could translate to AV legally leasing out the IP. Similar case can be probably made for the asian DFUW version, which was released by partners of AV.

So yeah, my guess is that both DND and ROA have the rights to lease the game's IP indefinitely. ROA and DND on their side made sure that nobody else can do the same while both their contracts are valid.

We gotta wait until DND and ROA tanks until we can know the specifics of their contracts, as they are under NDA to not disclose the details (neither teams have mentioned specifics about their terms).

• Devil
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #57

It might actually look like something in the direction of A lol. The full IP is several 100k euros afaik, as the rights are split between some old Razorwax devs also, and any full acquisition of IP has to be solved with them aswell. Last time someone wanted to buy the full IP for Darkfall 1, it had a very steep price, something above a mill USD.

AV can't sell Darkfall 1's IP, but I think they can lease it like they do now. Any settlement during the DF1 dev days from the old Razorwax devs to allow AV to use it as they wish for "business purposes" or however it is specified in those contracts at that time, could translate to AV legally leasing out the IP. Similar case can be probably made for the asian DFUW version, which was released by partners of AV.

So yeah, my guess is that both DND and ROA have the rights to lease the game's IP indefinitely. ROA and DND on their side made sure that nobody else can do the same while both their contracts are valid.

We gotta wait until DND and ROA tanks until we can know the specifics of their contracts, as they are under NDA to not disclose the details (neither teams have mentioned specifics about their terms).

That probably not going to happen anytime soon. ROA runs on 0 budget because everyone works for free/Going live with F2P soon and an expansion coming out later this year some time.

Reply #58
lol games dead
I only post when I'm bored at work, sue me.

Reply #59
3rd degree black belt in stating the obvious.