Skip to main content

Topic: people start to realize what instant travel (teleportation) does to the game (Read 954 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: people start to realize what instant travel (teleportation) does to the game
Reply #30
In New Dawn the design is smaller/weaker clans get pushed out of areas of they can't compete. This is proper conquest.

Instant travel to any area is a different issue because it can't be avoided.

Just wanted to add, the fact this is the only thing to do is the issue in both games. Smaller clans should have other options than villages
  • Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 08:09:31 pm by Pallist Horror
85% /s

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: people start to realize what instant travel (teleportation) does to the game
Reply #31

you can still get a response out of them if you do a gm help/report.

Really?

Just yesterday one of ttd members had a question, asked in gm help/report and got an answer within 15 minutes.
Granted, i made a gm help about 40 minutes ago but the question wasnt actually game related so i fear ill get no response at all.

So, at least for "real" help/report, you should get an answer.
For things like, why arent you guys posting on the forums or patching or...stuff that is actually cared about in a "will the game make it to 2019" sense...they are just as silent ingame as on the forums.

Reply #32
Not much more different in DND though when there is population, it's even harder for smaller groups at villages. Higher numbers are much more favored than skill in DND, and the punishment for dying to zergs far away from your base is harsher. Because of the walk of shame, people mass anybody they can for a village, and to play the game you are forced to join a competitive clan to have a chance to cap a village. You can't bhop as anything other than mage, and mount-sprint makes your chances of survival zero if you meet a group with just a few more numbers than you.

I stand by my opinion since day 1 of both these projects; limited fast travel and recall, with proportional costs and sacrifices to the risk hedge and benefit they represent, rather than traveling the world manually. Definitely a big opposer of the local respawn mechanic. You should permanently have the option to respawn home, and not sacrifice 1h+ to get back to your holding if things go sour (read above how that happens regularly).

I just thought of something, might be good or shit since I haven't thought it through. No clue if it has been said before.

Full teleportation to all "tagged" bindstones when dead? Obviously it will not be implemented but would be a small change, not sure if it would break anything design wise or if it would be helpful. Could also be done with a back story related to your spirit or something.

Reply #33

you can still get a response out of them if you do a gm help/report.

Really?

Just yesterday one of ttd members had a question, asked in gm help/report and got an answer within 15 minutes.
Granted, i made a gm help about 40 minutes ago but the question wasnt actually game related so i fear ill get no response at all.

So, at least for "real" help/report, you should get an answer.
For things like, why arent you guys posting on the forums or patching or...stuff that is actually cared about in a "will the game make it to 2019" sense...they are just as silent ingame as on the forums.
Depends on what mood Marc is in. Sometimes he "answers" that kind of questions aswell (albeit with a load of fucking shit and assburgers).
Azmoodeus Barnmere
Garbage Men

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #34
I thought dogs were always happy to see you?

Maybe he's the cat, and us the dogs? But that wouldnt explain the mood im in.

Maybe we are all cats, and he just prefers not to be seen as one.

Reply #35
If you put in a GM HELP/REPORT, for all we know, the person on the other end could be "Marc's" Mother, little Sister, or the neighborhood kid who mows his lawn in the Summer and shovels his drive in the winter.

I don't think ANY work is being done, so you all can forget about a patch.  And if Marc is doing anything, he is scrambling to
find some way to keep DND running.  I personally believe the server will shut down as soon as its current rental runs out.

Reply #36
Yeah instant travel can be a pain in certain aspects of the gameplay.  It seems like the recent population explosion has revealed issues in the system that werent present during its low population implementation.

Thankfully, a quick discussion and some constructive feedback with BPG devs will probably have it balanced out in a week or two.
:)

Reply #37
Yeah instant travel can be a pain in certain aspects of the gameplay.  It seems like the recent population explosion has revealed issues in the system that werent present during its low population implementation.

Thankfully, a quick discussion and some constructive feedback with BPG devs will probably have it balanced out in a week or two.

Ya! Maybe they'll revert changes!
85% /s

Reply #38

I've been saying it for a long time. I'm glad that people start to realize what a cancer instant travel is and has always been to Darkfall. @Ub3rgames good job at removing it from our Darkfall.

Instant travel is not cancer, it just has to be done right. I would love for there to be some sort of travel hub to create pvp. The way I would have it is have a total of 8 portals, 4 middle map (pref close to each other), 1 at center cairn, yssam, niff and ruby. The cairn, yssam, niff and ruby ones would teleport you to the same location at middle map, in the center of the 4 middle map portals, and the middle map portals would sent u to cairn, yssam, niff and ruby.

I also don't mind instant travel to houses, it gives a very good reason to own them.

Reply #39

I have been saying RoA has to much instant travel since they added rune books.

Reply #40
maybe runebooks is too much travel,but retarded dnd is absurd too.
df1 was ideal game,with portal chambers and 1-time runes.

Reply #41
Instant travel is not cancer, it just has to be done right. I would love for there to be some sort of travel hub to create pvp. The way I would have it is have a total of 8 portals, 4 middle map (pref close to each other), 1 at center cairn, yssam, niff and ruby. The cairn, yssam, niff and ruby ones would teleport you to the same location at middle map, in the center of the 4 middle map portals, and the middle map portals would sent u to cairn, yssam, niff and ruby.

I also don't mind instant travel to houses, it gives a very good reason to own them.
Your portal network would allow the strongest group to police the whole server. Portal network was already implemented in darkfall UW. And the strongest elite pvp clan was present at every siege, every point of interest, owned best holdings on each continent. They were the only ones having fun - destroying sieges for others, taking everything of value. In your scenario this elite pvp clan would also control the network itself (hub in the center).

DND without instant travel introduces more diversity when it comes to encounters (different enemies in different parts of the world). And if you find yourself not being able to compete in an area you can always move. It's a better design as it gives breathing space for not so elite clans or clans that do not focus on pvp only. It's mmorpg setting (DND) versus shooter/arena setting (RoA, dfUW, df1). What we need is means of faster travel (not instant travel) like faster boats for example (costly, so it won't be used by everyone every time). And it would be perfect.
  • Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 09:56:54 am by wildNothing

Reply #42

Your portal network would allow the strongest group to police the whole server. Portal network was already implemented in darkfall UW. And the strongest elite pvp clan was present at every siege, every point of interest, owned best holdings on each continent. They were the only ones having fun - destroying sieges for others, taking everything of value. In your scenario this elite pvp clan would also control the network itself (hub in the center).

DND without instant travel introduces more diversity when it comes to encounters (different enemies in different parts of the world). And if you find yourself not being able to compete in an area you can always move. It's a better design as it gives breathing space for not so elite clans or clans that do not focus on pvp only. It's mmorpg setting (DND) versus shooter/arena setting (RoA, dfUW, df1). What we need is means of faster travel (not instant travel) like faster boats for example (costly, so it won't be used by everyone every time). And it would be perfect.

There is no elite clans in DnD from what I can tell.

Also there would still be a fair amount of traveling needed to be done using this system, it would be a risk vs reward thing, you can save half your travel time by taking portals.
  • Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 01:28:23 pm by Sorrow Avaritia

Reply #43
Bindstone recall on a long cooldown with mat cost and encumberance limit.

Wilderness teleportation beacons/portals around the world - high mat cost to travel between each beacon/portal and recall can only be used in a close perimeter to such a beacon.

Something like this... Would be nice :)

Reply #44
https://forums.darkfallnewdawn.com/index.php/board,2.0.html

Everything is already said in this section. Quit beating a dead horse, dead ub3r, dead game
85% /s