Skip to main content

Topic: people start to realize what instant travel (teleportation) does to the game (Read 955 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: people start to realize what instant travel (teleportation) does to the game
Reply #15
Does not matter if there are better players than him, or more players than his group can overcome while he would like numbers to be even or in his favor. Or if fights are too easy (not challenging/interesting at all).

The problem is that with instant travel once the situation is established with a group being dominant (for whatever reason) or a group unable to win a fight at a point of interest (for whatever reason) the situation will play itself same again over and over no matter the location and player's will to change it. As encounters are similar at every point of interest - everyone is teleporting where the action is

• Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 03:55:35 pm by wildNothing

Re: people start to realize what instant travel (teleportation) does to the game
Reply #16
RoA in peak development is still struggling to compete with a one man band game that is not even developed. Hillarious!

If I was a 'dev' over at RoA I would be spending less time on doomed shield mechanic changes and more time working on my CV / getting on with maintaining the email server at their real jobs.

All the while Ubermarc just chills like the Budha, winning!

Reply #17
actual thread with a topic , yeah DND got the better design. That's why we're here.

• Devil
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #18
ya those 150 man sieges are getting old i better go back to single player dnd...

Reply #19
All the while Ubermarc just chills like the Budha, winning!

Winning with no money, no population, no growth, no community engagement and no future prospects? Winning from all his unpaid, growing debt? What part of DND would you considering 'winning' right now?
  • Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 06:17:17 pm by Bartlebe

Reply #20
One guy said it, it must be true.
For him, yes. And it's not a guy. It's someone you would rather place on the heavy pvp focused side - and a good player if we are at it. For me it was interesting, as usually pvp centric players tend to ask for instant travel like it's a cure to Darkfall's troubles.
One guy said it, it must be true.
For him, yes. And it's not a guy. It's someone you would rather place on the heavy pvp focused player side - good player. For me it was interesting, as usually pvp centric players tend to ask for instant travel like it's a cure to Darkfall's troubles.

Looks like he's angry that he can't get 'even' fights in his eyes, which in reality are not even and the other players need to call in backup or die. He's basically angry there is a population.

^^^^^^ his ping is the same as mine (15). With their clunky client- think DF1 without any of the patches- I can do about anything I want to people because my ping is so low except win vs a zerg which is the only way to bring down low ping guys in RoA. He went orc just for that reason (extra melee damage) guy is a tool who min-maxes before quiting just like back in DF1.

@OP there has to be middle ground. You cant have a world this large without some type of improved travel like on their #Roadmap. But like everything else they changed half of it and just removed the rest.

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #21
no matter the location and player's will to change it.

He could, shocker, get allies.
Thats a thing you can do in a game that has a population...find actual players you can play together with that arent already in the group you are fighting.

Thats not to say RoA has it right with how much instant travel they have.
But just because there's a downside to how their situation is, doesnt mean ALL fast travel is therefor a deathsentence to any game.
Not to mention that its not always true, not unchangable and very much player generated. Which is a thing you want in an mmorpg, maybe?
Maybe not...maybe its better that everybody lives in total isolation, being shocked in bewilderment upon sighting another player.
Should stop calling it massive multiplayer at that point though, but what do i know...

But well, its not going to matter to you anyway.
You love how DnD is playing out right now.
There's Simiran, who just cap the villages they feel like...
And there's Horde, who run around the entire map at all ungodly hours so they can post a screenshot on the forums about howmany villages they capped.
And then there's every other clan, who have downsized holdings because players have stopped logging in to limit the med drain so the remaining few dont have a hard time holding down the fort untill the winter passes.
Its quite...optimistic...but im among those who log in and get some med points...so yay me for seeing a half full glass when we are already at the bottom of the barrel (activity wise)

So i really dont get why you try and glorify the current situation DnD is in/
Same with all the positive remarcs on the forum. (and yes, thats an intentional c)
No matter how nice a tune you play, he shouldnt play favorites and even if he did...what the fuck is the benefit in trying to be nice to a dev team that literally doesnt take the time to put up any news in months.

Especially because you can still get a response out of them if you do a gm help/report.
They are...at the very least...not dead.
So, maybe showing that for everybody to easily see would be somewhat of a priority.

Maybe not though, if the company tanks that debt will be forfitted and marc can go back to finding a job again in a company that will stay alive. Untill such time he is tied to this one, and he has obligations to fulfill.
From that angle though, trying to be positive is even worse.

Come up with a scenario where being silent for this long, with how the cards are on the board, where the best play they can make is the current course. In a way thats actually hopefull for the future.
If you can come up with that, and its not a complete fairy tale, ill give you another reply.

Reply #22
Winning with no money. no population, no growth, no community engagement and no future prospects? Winning from all his unpaid, growing debt? What part of DND would you considering 'winning' right now?
God you are fucking annoying

Reply #23
The post dirty screenshot is actually requesting instanced instant travel for arenas. Complete removal of open world PvP.

It's a request to move even further from anything new dawn is.

Dirty, what are you getting at? Everyone who isn't an RoA troll on these forums knows the end result of instant travel with pop in open world conquest turns it into the same blob garbage we had in original dfo. BPG members were the asshat players that pushed AV to implement more instant travel back then. People want a middle ground to sustain population for more casual players in DND. Not instant travel like RoA.
You can't cross your arms and stubbornly say no to every idea to reduce travel times in New Dawn. The end results is what we have now, barely anymore playing. New Dawn needs to address the casual player limitations and get off the elitists, no lifer, niche, assburgers ideological.

The issue is you either completely structure the game around instant travel or travelfall.

BPG and Ub3r have so far failed at both their visions.

Same boring ass discussion with a twist thrown in there because RoA actually has players right now.

New Dawn has no grounds to stand on and argue travelfall works. The game is fucking dead. 51 people on the pve list last night. Numbers continue to go down. Time to start thinking for others and not just yourself if you want this game to succeed
85% /s

Reply #24

Sounds like he wants a similar middle ground to @Ivar_theBoneless . Full groups plus routinely cap villages now in RoA. Some people like it and some don't. Can't fault the man. He likes the small scale bang amongst his peers rather than the big zerg fights that are happening now. With the current billboard/runebook system, you can bring the whole clan to every village if you want. From my experiences with Animal, he wont back down from fighting 2v3,4 or 5 but when your little squad encounters a siege scroach force at every village, surely you can understand the frustration.

Me personally? I've always been casual and uncompetitive on that scale so I like the big events with the groups and parties. To each their own. The smart, nimble dev. could make room for people like Animal and people like me. Plenty of room in Agon.

Reply #25
no matter the location and player's will to change it.

He could, shocker, get allies.
Getting allies would change nothing. From now on every encounter would be this alliance winning. So other side would be constantly losing. As instant travel produces stale encounters at points of interest (same fights).

Judging by how stupid your first sentence was I will pass on the wall of text. As usual if you have nothing to say you produce tens of meaningless lines instead of thinking over them and formulating a point.
  • Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 07:00:51 pm by wildNothing

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #26
and then they can get allies, and the involved population grows.
new avenue's of action and income are found, optimized and contested.
A blob can only be in one place, the game is big enough to allow multiple places to be of interest (AT THE SAME TIME, just incase you wanted to say they would instant travel everywhere, allknowingly knowing where other players are on the map without going there).
  • Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 07:04:43 pm by Nuyur

Reply #27

you can still get a response out of them if you do a gm help/report.

Really?

Reply #28

you can still get a response out of them if you do a gm help/report.

Really?

^ caught my eye as well. Calling bullshit

Reply #29
Not much more different in DND though when there is population, it's even harder for smaller groups at villages. Higher numbers are much more favored than skill in DND, and the punishment for dying to zergs far away from your base is harsher. Because of the walk of shame, people mass anybody they can for a village, and to play the game you are forced to join a competitive clan to have a chance to cap a village. You can't bhop as anything other than mage, and mount-sprint makes your chances of survival zero if you meet a group with just a few more numbers than you.

I stand by my opinion since day 1 of both these projects; limited fast travel and recall, with proportional costs and sacrifices to the risk hedge and benefit they represent, rather than traveling the world manually. Definitely a big opposer of the local respawn mechanic. You should permanently have the option to respawn home, and not sacrifice 1h+ to get back to your holding if things go sour (read above how that happens regularly).