Skip to main content

Topic: Mage play questions- (Read 320 times) previous topic - next topic

Mage play questions-
Buddy is taking over my account and plans on playing a mage. A few questions, I've got no clue about mages-

Does the level of ray matter?
INT is 77 should he med this to 100?
Do the mage sub skills , mana-reagent con , veteran matter much? Which should you do first?
Heavy staff for everything? Or fast staff for bolts?
Anything I miss?

Thanks in advance

• memes
  • [*][*][*][*]
Re: Mage play questions-
Reply #1
Mage = kys 100%

Reply #2
* Ray should be the last spell to level/max, as the benefit of leveling is very small.
* Maxing INT is important (mostly for mana pool), but it'll came naturally over PvE with magic and occasional Int elixir. I wouldn't meditate it.
* Out of global mage passives, I'd recommend going for Mana Conservation to high levels ASAP, as it influences all spells, and non-maxed mages are really struggling with mana.
* For the school specific passives, my personal call for importance is Quicken > ManaEff > Intensify > Durable. But I'm subjective in this regard and it's likely others will disagree. For some schools there are big exceptions to that guideline, for example Reflect is linked to Arcane Intensify, so you want that leveled up or else Reflect lasts 0,1 seconds. Another example is Flesh Curse being linked to Infliction Durable
* Staff choice (and enchants on it) mostly comes down to personal preference. Cobras allow you to chain hit lots of spells in quick succession, which is especially important if you rely on displacement (fireball, shards, lightning strike, blizzard). Darkscepters and Corpsecallers allow for amazing mana efficiency and HUGE AoEs, which works great if you're a backliner for your group. Or you can be a cheap ass and use dorf R80s for a bit of both worlds...

Still a member of SaltyBitches™ Club

Reply #3
You can't med mana conservation though... mine is at 80 and I have almost every magic school at 30 intensify (+other sub skills) with some in the 50s :/

Reply #4
* Ray should be the last spell to level/max, as the benefit of leveling is very small.
* Maxing INT is important (mostly for mana pool), but it'll came naturally over PvE with magic and occasional Int elixir. I wouldn't meditate it.
* Out of global mage passives, I'd recommend going for Mana Conservation to high levels ASAP, as it influences all spells, and non-maxed mages are really struggling with mana.
* For the school specific passives, my personal call for importance is Quicken > ManaEff > Intensify > Durable. But I'm subjective in this regard and it's likely others will disagree. For some schools there are big exceptions to that guideline, for example Reflect is linked to Arcane Intensify, so you want that leveled up or else Reflect lasts 0,1 seconds. Another example is Flesh Curse being linked to Infliction Durable
* Staff choice (and enchants on it) mostly comes down to personal preference. Cobras allow you to chain hit lots of spells in quick succession, which is especially important if you rely on displacement (fireball, shards, lightning strike, blizzard). Darkscepters and Corpsecallers allow for amazing mana efficiency and HUGE AoEs, which works great if you're a backliner for your group. Or you can be a cheap ass and use dorf R80s for a bit of both worlds...

Gotcha, thanks!

Reply #5
Another thing to keep in mind - using linked spells speeds up the leveling of boring/weird stuff ;)
Meaning, spamming heals and buffs on a buddy (both engaged in PvE) will level your Int hella fast (int and linked school/subschool passive level at the speed of casting 3 bolts; I have a feeling global mage passives level at 3x speed as well, but I can not confirm that)

Reply #6
dnd mages is clowns,their cast looks like WoW shit

Reply #7
r1 spam idiots,ahaha nice pvp (no)

Reply #8
I have 3 questions as well:

Are there any mandatory enchant for mages?

Does cobrastaff require a magnitude enchant, is it worth to enchant it with casting quickness?

What do you need to have a decent WOF? Like Arcane school at 60? Magnitude enchant? or watever?

Reply #9
Some players use Cobras with Cast Time + ManaEff enchants, some players use Magnitude on Corpsecallers.
It comes down to personal preference/play-style and schools chosen.
Some schools (especially the ones with Displacement effects, like Air, Water, Fire) prefer super fast casting.

But I really feel it boils down to player preference.

As for WoF, it's linked to Arcane's Mana Efficiency sub-skill. And you really want it at 60+ to have any good effect.

Reply #10
Tnx Wyverex. Should I level all the r50, r60, r90 aoes etch that I am planning (theoretically) to use in pvp at least to 60?

Reply #11
60-70 is what I'd call a sweet spot.

You should check Ub3r's Diminished Returns blog post:
https://darkfallnewdawn.com/2016-07-20-diminishing-returns-anti-grind-impact/

Reply #12
r1 spam idiots,ahaha nice pvp (no)

Spam something you have to aim, that can be reacted to, unlike RoA with its aoe / ray spam. Also good mages don't just spam r1s.