Skip to main content

Topic: Allow players to switch out magic school progression. (Read 147 times) previous topic - next topic

Allow players to switch out magic school progression.
Allow players to switch out progression in a magic school at a reduction of the skilled levels per school/spell.

Could even limit it to a set amount like bolt-r50-r90-field and make the skill lose significant but still tolerable so people can save some progress after getting to a hundred in a certain school with all the sub skills raised and finding it just not matching their play style.

Would help with player retention.

Re: Allow players to switch out magic school progression.
Reply #1
I'm a fan of allowing playing to switch easily (such as my title suggestions)
But this one I'm having a hard time with.

Are you saying if someone levels fire/subs to 100 and decide they don't like it, they can transfer this at a lot to another school instead?

Nuisances aside (like some schools not having an r50 or ray), I'm not sure i agree with this one.

It isn't that hard to level a school to be competitive.

I'd rather they just switch the school itself to be linear gains (levels 1-10 are the same speed as levels 90-100) so people can unlock all the spells and keep spells exponential curves.

At same time.. diminishing returns to properly be represented in the number displayed.

If at spell skill 10 you're at 30% potential and spell skill 75 you're at 90% potential, it should simply be spell skill 30 and 90 respectively. Not this hidden "grind is reduced" shit. Don't make people did through charts to know they're at a competitive level
85% /s

• memes
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
Fuck mages

Reply #3
I'm a mage type, thiough terrible. I mainly PvE and I'm against this one. It gives min/maxers easy mode to switch to "school of the day" if patches adjust this and that, and balance changes cause things to switch up. It shouldn't be any easier to be a mage than it is now. Harder, IMO.
Vynn-Former Leader of Adamo Aetas (AA) from DF1, DF-UW, Mortal Online, and about 40 other mmos....

Reply #4
I'm a fan of allowing playing to switch easily (such as my title suggestions)
But this one I'm having a hard time with.

Are you saying if someone levels fire/subs to 100 and decide they don't like it, they can transfer this at a lot to another school instead?

Nuisances aside (like some schools not having an r50 or ray), I'm not sure i agree with this one.

It isn't that hard to level a school to be competitive.

I'd rather they just switch the school itself to be linear gains (levels 1-10 are the same speed as levels 90-100) so people can unlock all the spells and keep spells exponential curves.

At same time.. diminishing returns to properly be represented in the number displayed.

If at spell skill 10 you're at 30% potential and spell skill 75 you're at 90% potential, it should simply be spell skill 30 and 90 respectively. Not this hidden "grind is reduced" shit. Don't make people did through charts to know they're at a competitive level

Leveling does need to be changed.

I'm a mage type, thiough terrible. I mainly PvE and I'm against this one. It gives min/maxers easy mode to switch to "school of the day" if patches adjust this and that, and balance changes cause things to switch up. It shouldn't be any easier to be a mage than it is now. Harder, IMO.

@Pallist Horror as well. The problem is now we have magic schools that are fundamentally different play Styles compared to the standard stuff like necro , witchcraft, and infliction.

They don't play like your standard pew pew pew magic schools and you have to really spend a long time getting the correct spells up to a Max Level to get an idea how it's going to work. At that point your time committed to having to use it even if you wanted to switch to something different because you invested so much already.

Even if it was a 50% skill point reduction and a month cool down it would be better than the current huge time sinks only to find out that it just doesn't work the way you thought or you don't enjoy playing playing it

Edit- I also think you would encourage people to try different schools and you would see different specs. Currently you can't afford to spend a month leveling up a school only to find out it just doesn't work for you so you're kind of committed to taking one of the more clear-cut magic schools
  • Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 01:15:34 am by Ivar_theBoneless