Skip to main content

Topic: What is the max amount of players you think a siege can handle? (Read 444 times) previous topic - next topic

What is the max amount of players you think a siege can handle?
I tried googling what the max amount of players a siege could handle in DF1. But I can't find much information. How much do you think a siege could handle? 400? 600? 800? Best I could find was someone saying they had a siege back in the old df1. Where there was 400 players and no problems. But i'm wondering what the max amount of players possible in a siege.
I obviously realize with how popular new dawn is. You would be lucky to get a siege with 40 people.
Could 800 people be possible in a siege without crashing the server... I know that's a crazy number just curious...

Re: What is the max amount of players you think a siege can handle?
Reply #1
Er, it wouldn't be so much about the server but whether your computer can actually handle it. Let's say there was a hypothetical 1000 players in one area, you might not even load some of them so they would either be invisible or you wouldn't see that 1 specific person is casting something. I'm not 100% sure, but back then the biggest siege was either 500 or close to a 1000, but the fighting was spread and not in 1 tile.

The other thing to think about is how many people realisticly can be in 1 tile, because I would say it's improbable that you would be able to have a 500 vs 500 fight on a single tile normally. The only time that could be plausible is in a bunker holding like Aradoth or a multi level platform kind of like Tiquiya.

Reply #2
I remember server crashing (DFO, EU1) when ~1k players entered a single tile (cca 600 defenders + cca 400 attackers, at one of the first Andruk sieges)

But (server) hardware is much better today than it was 9 years ago...

Still a member of SaltyBitches™ Club

Reply #3
I tried googling what the max amount of players a siege could handle in DF1. But I can't find much information. How much do you think a siege could handle? 400? 600? 800? Best I could find was someone saying they had a siege back in the old df1. Where there was 400 players and no problems. But i'm wondering what the max amount of players possible in a siege.
I obviously realize with how popular new dawn is. You would be lucky to get a siege with 40 people.
Could 800 people be possible in a siege without crashing the server... I know that's a crazy number just curious...

It's not a crazy number I went to a few sieges that were at least 800 people.

We would Scroach with almost a hundred people sometimes

• Niburu
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
i think the hyperion vs. zaguroth (Orcs R US, i think) was around 1000 vs. 1000. Server was totally out of sync but it was epic.

*tear in my eye*
Darkfall is the best experience on PC with my pants not unzipped.

Reply #5
Er, it wouldn't be so much about the server but whether your computer can actually handle it.

Actually it was quite discussed back in the days that it was very server related and that if you got "into the flow" of being one of lucky players who were probably first to update on server you weren't DC-ed, if you were unlucky then it lagged quite heavily. What was PC related was amount of your FPS(CPU heavy performance), but the freezes and crashes had server to blame.

It might be "placebo" feeling but 2 things related to that: It seemed to me that at one point they severely downgraded large scale performance either through client or server changes. Also it might've been implemented later but I vaguely remember heavy visual culling on last few larger sieges that I couldn't see players more than 50-100m away from myself.

Reply #6
Correct question: What is the max amount of players you think a siege will have?