Skip to main content

Topic: Perception of activity (Read 1042 times) previous topic - next topic

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Perception of activity
Reply #30
Its pallist saying that villages being stuck in a single time zone is the problem, not me.
I just applied his logic to your idea, which means clans could ping pong a village around with a single alt clan to make sure it never goes from EU to NA or back...

Jesus, its hard to understand one another...

Reply #31
Other than a major overhaul, villages in timers will always suck.

If we had dynamic territory control to fight over, villages would be filler like they're supposed to be.

-SG of Garbage Men (Wolf/Ork)
Always recruiting new and old players.

• Raap
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #32
The whole village situation is easy, but you have to do some harder programming for it and tweak the numbers as population goes up.

Step one, <3 players at a village the timer is set to 26 hours, moving 2 hours later than the previous cap.
Step two, 3-8 players at a village the timer is set to 25 hours, moving 1 hour later than the previous cap.
Step three, 8-15 players at a village the timer is set to 24 hours, not moving the time at all.
Step four, 15+ players at a village the timer is set to 23 hours 30 min, moving it back 30 minutes.

A decent concept but as Pallist pointed out it would result in (for example) an active NA clan permanently maintaining villages for their time zone.

However if this logic was to be based on CLAN TAGS rather than players, then it might work. Uncontested capture = 2 hour leap, heavily contested timer (6+ clans) = begin 30 minutes earlier.

It is however, mostly a band-aid for a band-aid. We only care so much about villages because it is the only PvP content in the game that does not involve tedious and time-consuming sieges. Insult to injury here being that villages are the most effective way of maintaining clan upkeep, which in itself is a mechanic that exists purely to bleed clans out of the game with pure boredom.

A form of optional upkeep would have been better, said upkeep would be what powers your siege off-hour protection windows and city buffs/guard towers/nodes. Oh well look at me beating a dead horse again.
  • Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 03:27:32 pm by Raap
Proud member of TD.

Reply #33
Oh well look at me beating a dead horse again.

Much like anything about new dawn since ub3r went assburgers
-SG of Garbage Men (Wolf/Ork)
Always recruiting new and old players.

Reply #34
My idea is better then all these timefall suggestions. You guys are thinking in the box. Caught up in the DnD ghost town syndrome wanting villages changed so you can count on some kind of activity to actually do when you are logged in. Thats all well and good but its sad that 15 years into development and that is all players have to look forward to.

Villages should be incorporated into the conquest systems of the game a small part of territorial control system involved with the watch tower system and racial warfronts. UW did villages decently towards the end of the games life span.

Villages shouldn't be the only reason to log in to this game or the only pvp objective.

My dreams are all dead and buried
Sometimes I wish the sun would just explode
When God comes and calls me to his kingdom
I'll take all ya sons of bitches when I go!
Let her blow!

• Raap
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #35
You guys are thinking in the box.
We have to think inside the box because we have to account for development budget restrictions.

Yes, elaborate reworks are often better, but not for a 2 man dev team that cannot even put out a single patch in over 4 months. You have to know the boundaries of the box you work in and make adjustments that go a reasonable way towards improving a subject. It's the balance of cost versus payoff, and right now, if a few tweaks of existing code reach 50% of the intended goal where as a full rework might reach 95% of the intended goal, then it's a no-brainer to do the tweaks.

The village system isn't a system beyond salvaging. Content like trade routes are much more broken and not in a state where tweaking a few things could do anything significant enough to make them fun (Edit: although that being said, if trade routes got moved near midmap and the routes were only ~7km long, then people would at least consider doing them occasionally...).
  • Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 05:46:52 pm by Raap
Proud member of TD.

Reply #36
That is indeed true at this point Raap. Being on the outside looking in because  its been so long since i  played. im putting my rose colored glasses on again thinking about what darkfall could and should be forgetting the reality of the situation.

I have forgotten ub3r can't patch anything and any major changes beyond XML work is to much for this dev (team?).

At this point its about making the best out of a bad situation. I'm glad people are having fun playing this game but god damn @Ub3rgames doesn't make it easy.
My dreams are all dead and buried
Sometimes I wish the sun would just explode
When God comes and calls me to his kingdom
I'll take all ya sons of bitches when I go!
Let her blow!

Reply #37

Reply #38
I had a couple ideas, simple ones, that could help alleviate the issue.

The first one, which still involves travelfall, logistics and local banking doesn't require any coding. It just needs timers redone that closeby villages go live  one after another. Thus, a group can always travel, or set a temporary base of op, where several villages go live in their playtime.

The second one is a bit overkill: have 2 (or even 3) VCPs per village with 12 (or 8) hours difference, villages would then not drift so badly offpeak. Of course it's like doubling or tripling the amount of villages, which means inflation of rewards and outspread of pop when so many vcps go live.

The two ideas aren't mutually exclusive. With 2 VCPs per village, there could be two villages going live at 2 oposite ends of the map every 40 mins.

Reply #39
I think each village should have three timers per day.  Each of these timers can be shifted up to 2 hours by the capturing clan, but never more than 2 hours from the original.

For example, Elish could have times
7pm GMT (can be shifted to between 5pm and 9pm GMT)
7pm EST (can be shifted to between 5pm and 9pm EST)
7pm Japan time (etc)

This would give everyone a shot, and also triple the available VCP caps, which I think we need.

Or if that's too many VCPs, then only make each VCP have two timers and let them be adjusted by up to three hours.
  • Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 04:54:51 pm by Rimamok

Reply #40
Actually now that I re-read @neitsabesax post in more detail, my suggestion seems to be exactly the same as his second point!  Hehe 

I'm a little torn on his first point, but I like the concept if it's applied in moderation, say 2 or possibly 3 VCPs that can be "chained".  That's how Savaril and Sarthain Sea have been for the past months, and it seems to work well, and has resulted in some interesting dynamics.