Skip to main content

Topic: Early This Week (Read 1103 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Early This Week
Reply #15
Yeah, not defending them. Just trying to understand how they're thinking to behave like this.

It's extremely difficult to communicate with a community- especially one that has a hostile portion of it. I've experienced this first-hand and that's why we have a Communications manager, it's why you can get a degree in Media Communications and get a extremely well paying job just being the middleman between a company and its player base.

Anybody with any experience doing that knows that the opposite actually happens when you're inexperienced and you're confronted with a really interactive community. ~ especially when you have less than good news ~ You become less inclined to communicate even if it's just to shoot a text or email. I can't explain it but anybody that's experienced that firsthand and grind thru it knows that's whats happening now. It's just human nature to pull back.

I was fortunate enough to be part of something that was able to hire somebody that knew had to do that, these guys have just got to ride it out
  • Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 07:01:06 am by Ivar_theBoneless

Reply #16
Their behavioral concerns aren't just in how they've communicated.  It's also in their work produced.

They patched TWICE per month EVERY month for Feb, Mar, Apr, May, June.

And then ZERO in July, Aug, Sept.

Something has changed big time, and it's not just communication.

Reply #17
Their behavioral concerns aren't just in how they've communicated.  It's also in their work produced.

Burnout and exhaustion is my guess, since they were adamant on giving time off to everybody in august

Reply #18
Yeah, not defending them. Just trying to understand how they're thinking to behave like this.

It's extremely difficult to communicate with a community- especially one that has a hostile portion of it. I've experienced this first-hand and that's why we have a Communications manager, it's why you can get a degree in Media Communications and get a extremely well paying job just being the middleman between a company and its player base.

Anybody with any experience doing that knows that the opposite actually happens when you're inexperienced and you're confronted with a really interactive community. ~ especially when you have less than good news ~ You become less inclined to communicate even if it's just to shoot a text or email. I can't explain it but anybody that's experienced that firsthand and grind thru it knows that's whats happening now. It's just human nature to pull back.

I was fortunate enough to be part of something that was able to hire somebody that knew had to do that, these guys have just got to ride it out

Just sum it up as INCOMPETENCE, no need to wrap it up in paragraphs of nice words. The most effective tool you have when in trouble or facing difficult times is to COMMUNICATE.

Reply #19

It's not hard to communicate, everyone else here does it just fine, even people who typically and historically dont get on.

The problem you have is that you're a bungling dribbling mouth breather with the social skills of a peak autist having a bad trip off some shitty meth cooked up in a trailer.

The fact that YOU are personally, universally despised amongst the community because of your retarded ways is more of a reflection on you than the community.
I only post when I'm bored at work, sue me.

Reply #20

Burnout and exhaustion is my guess, since they were adamant on giving time off to everybody in august

Definitely this. Two guys alone cannot possibly develop an MMORPG, it's simply not sustainable

Not to mention I'm pretty sure they still have to work second "real jobs" just to pay for rent and food

Still I have been frustrated since day 1 at their refusal/inability to capitalize on New Dawns potential monetization

They should of been finding ways to milk whales and desperate hardcore vet enthusiasts for years (seriously we wouldn't of minded paying it forward for minor perks/recognition/ weekly Dev video Q and A engagement) rather than trying to "win over" haters/pessimists by making it essentially free to play after initial purchase

At the very least they should of charged subscriptions since day 1 of launch and had ingame time tokens available for purchase/trade after month 1

The sub cost had nothing to do with why I and my friends either didn't play or quit until certain features were implemented or population goals met

THEY CAN'T DO ANYTHING WITHOUT MONEY.

All evidence thus far suggests Ub3rgames don't understand the business side of the modern MMO industry.

There were multiple viable ways to make this game profitable/ populated enough in the short term to allow them to actually have enough funding to meet their longer term goals...

This. Wasn't. One. Of. Them

I don't blame them for staying off the forums until they have a patch ready though. This community tends to be toxic and demoralizing in general . Myself often included

Ub3rgames please get your shit together by New Years

Reply #21
Yep, they should have monetized what they could from day one. People would have paid for subs, which again would have paid for devs and more patches. Later on, replace subs with a cash shop that is relevant to this iteration; high cost for race change, name change, super title respec books (untradeable), etc.

It is what it is. We can't do much, just gotta ride it out until they come out of hiding.

Reply #22
Agreed, subs and GTTs should have been prioritized.  But IMO they need to be put in place at the exact same time.

Reply #23
You do not know any of this. It is possible that if they charged monthly from the start game would have been long dead (number of players much lower than what we have now). So stop pretending you have all the answers. I have nothing against subs though. I'm just bored to the death by the forum experts..

It is what it is. :D
  • Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 04:08:58 pm by wildNothing

Reply #24
blah blah blah, another one coward blah

In your mind they only need place servers in USA to have tons of money, right?
Fail....

• Meth
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #25
Agreed, subs and GTTs should have been prioritized.  But IMO they need to be put in place at the exact same time.
They prioritized arrogance over making a living off the career they chose.
Quote from: Ub3rgames
Please understand that unlike during InDev, we are forced to communicate only once per week at most.

The writing of this reply has taken a bit more than a full man-day.

Reply #26
You do not know any of this. It is possible that if they charged monthly from the start game would have been long dead (number of players much lower than what we have now). So stop pretending you have all the answers. I have nothing against subs though. I'm just bored to the death by the forum experts..

It is what it is. :D

The hardcore fans have always paid subs for the game. This time around they are split between ROA and DND tho, and the population of vets have diminished on both versions due to fuckups from both games, but I'm willing to bet that it could've been off-set with a sub from the start which would have provided more frequent patches. We would probably still be at a low pop right now, but at least it would be 20% more than what we have now, more realistically 40-50% since we saw entire clans disappear due to the lack of patches/communication and lack of tested content on release (steel bones, immortals, tfk, jungle kingdom, etc. etc. ). Again, not much - but it would still be a stable income they could spend on more development, which in turn would atract more players to try the game as it progressively becomes more playable/enjoyable.
It would have been a compounding positive cycle:

Sub payment comes in > Development expenditure > More patches > More players willing to try the game >> repeat

This, combined with a relevant cash shop to diversify their income sources (race change, name change, non-tradeable title respec books), and perhaps even some sort of annual PvP ranking to make the game competitive in terms of leaderboards or e-sports (addictive for the hardcores), would give them some solid profits. This again could be presented to investors who inject some more capital which could be spent on more development (release a first expansion) combined with large scale marketing. The more players the game has, the more players are willing to play it.
  • Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 04:54:45 pm by Xipos

Reply #27
If you read their more recent posts carefully, it seems they're focusing on making the game appealing to early stage players.  The attrition rate is tremendous as we all know and they're doing a "pivot" to address it, or at least try to.   So many people are enchanted with the game in the beginning but hit roadblocks.

Reply #28
Smurf you know this game won't be around until New Year. Quit making excuses for these(?) people(?).  Their arrogant responses to their customers when they actually do post on the forums just shows how out of touch the dev(s?) is. If they were working another job their company wouldn't be 100k usd in debt becuase they needed to pay themselves

How do you not know your company is in default?

How do you go on vacation, not tell your customers, and  blame them for being upset when you come back from a 2 month radio silence only when you see your company is in liquidation because of a forum post, when you are trying to successfully run a small business?
My dreams are all dead and buried
Sometimes I wish the sun would just explode
When God comes and calls me to his kingdom
I'll take all ya sons of bitches when I go!
Let her blow!

Reply #29
Smurf you know this game won't be around until New Year. Quit making excuses for these(?) people(?).  Their arrogant responses to their customers when they actually do post on the forums just shows how out of touch the dev(s?) is. If they were working another job their company wouldn't be 100k usd in debt becuase they needed to pay themselves

How do you not know your company is in default?

How do you go on vacation, not tell your customers, and  blame them for being upset when you come back from a 2 month radio silence only when you see your company is in liquidation because of a forum post, when you are trying to successfully run a small business?

I guess I need to believe there will one day be another MMO worth playing before I die

I'm not making excuses for Ub3rgames repeated displays of arrogance and incompetence, but we have so few alternatives, I'm not yet going to write New Dawn off completely