Skip to main content

Topic: delete bone armor or fix magnitude scaling (Read 736 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: delete bone armor or fix magnitude scaling
Reply #15
...but the traits are the same-leather just has less because melee just use less traits ffs...

Elaborate please

• gosti
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #16
Hm.

Bone: magic dmg, magic speed, mana regen.
Leather: melee dmg, melee speed, archery dmg, archery speed, stam regen.

Yeah, 3 > 5...

Reply #17
Hm.

Yeah, 3 > 5...

I was waiting for that one and the "visual" difference is they break it more down on the leather. If it were apples to apples and applied same metodology it would be Physical speed and Physical damage.
If we're to break Magic traits same way it will be as follows
Spell damage
Utility magnitude
Casting speed damage
Casting speed Utility

Magic is also a 2in1 bundle with damage and utility combined in many spells which in itself is an advantage, no weapon swapping is another  advantage.

Lets not touch in on mobility, self sustainability or support abilites for now, though you could argue that mobility is a part of the utility.

• gosti
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #18
Lol
Trying hard I see :D

Reply #19
Hm.

Yeah, 3 > 5...

I thought it had spell durability on there but they're actually exactly the same speed,damage and regen.

Reply #20
Hm.

Yeah, 3 > 5...

I thought it had spell durability on there but they're actually exactly the same speed,damage and regen.

+ feather on the bone, as it has basically same prots, but less encumbrance

Reply #21
I'd be okay with full leather and full bone sets sitting at ~25 total encumbrance.

Still a member of SaltyBitches™ Club

Reply #22
Nah it would be broken, the best possible setup for hybrid right now would be something like bone helm + shoulder, exarch everything else and Q5 feather. The problem if you reduce leather encumberance is you'll have 0 encumberance hybrids instead of physicals, because why would you go Warrior if you can take Necro and eye rot / vamp + play mobility blinds like a mage.

Right now my budget setup is 8 regular bone and rest thick with Q3 feather for 0 encumb - the difference between this budget setup and the above best setup is 6 physical offensive bonuses vs 12 physical offensive bonuses. In other words, it would be the same as being a full physical with all the benefits of a mage. The only thing that's stopping this from being common is the high requirements for spell effects and crafts - I say no, if they reduce encumberance on leather this will become the generic build for all physicals.

• Raap
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #23
Nah it would be broken, the best possible setup for hybrid right now would be something like bone helm + shoulder, exarch everything else and Q5 feather. The problem if you reduce leather encumberance is you'll have 0 encumberance hybrids instead of physicals, because why would you go Warrior if you can take Necro and eye rot / vamp + play mobility blinds like a mage.

Right now my budget setup is 8 regular bone and rest thick with Q3 feather for 0 encumb - the difference between this budget setup and the above best setup is 6 physical offensive bonuses vs 12 physical offensive bonuses. In other words, it would be the same as being a full physical with all the benefits of a mage. The only thing that's stopping this from being common is the high requirements for spell effects and crafts - I say no, if they reduce encumberance on leather this will become the generic build for all physicals.
You raise some valid points.

But that still leaves leather as the armor that drew the short stick, purely statistically. Nothing was added to offset this encumbrance nerf.

So, what would be a fair off-set? I'm leaning towards a modest magical protection increase, but I also would not think that a trait increase would be unfair, given that currently, archery versus magic in pure DPS in a very clear win for magical DPS.

Edit: I'm speaking of archery speed, archery damage, and stamina regen traits. I do not think the melee speed and damage traits need to be improved - and I am a 90% melee player so by all means I am not trying to boost my personal play style. Archery has been well known to be the weakest of the three play styles in ND and perhaps a leather trait improvement can fix this while also fixing leather's shortcoming.
  • Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 05:23:44 pm by Raap
Proud member of TD.

Reply #24
"Archery has been well known to be the weakest of the three play styles in ND"
I belive there are 2 playstyles melee/archery and mage.
Thsstsshs Shthss

• Raap
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #25
"Archery has been well known to be the weakest of the three play styles in ND"
I belive there are 2 playstyles melee/archery and mage.

That just illustrates my point, the play style is so underused that people do not even acknowledge it.

Ub3rgames stated in the past they aim archery to have its own usage. This is why there are different archery related titles, and not just 'physical titles'. They could also have rolled the archery speed and damage traits on leather into the melee ones and named it 'physical traits', but again, they did not do this.

So, the door is open for archery improvements that do not affect melee.
  • Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 05:52:02 pm by Raap
Proud member of TD.

Reply #26
I think that separte archery and melee playstyle would require unique sets for both. People asked for that me included but they didn't want to and they went for melee/archery instead.
Thsstsshs Shthss

Reply #27
Yeah they could have easily went with metal giving melee bonuses and leather giving archery.

• SomeBK
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #28
Yeah they could have easily went with metal giving melee bonuses and leather giving archery.
Yep. I also feel they could've easily retuned back protection and the original hp regent on metal after the magnitude patch and metal armor would be more desireable
Fair enough ill be there, Actually can we do it Thurs
(ive been lugging boxes of books all morning from a collection I bought and a little beat)

• Raap
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #29

No, why remove the option of glass cannon?

That'd be like removing regen from bone and moving it to robes and removing DPS from robes.

No reason to overdo things, you're just begging for more combat problems at that point.

A simple archery trait improvement is fine. No need to make the game more restricted by having black-white exclusivity options where melees go metal and archers go leather (and mages somehow still get to have two choices? lol).
Proud member of TD.