Skip to main content

Topic: Champion: book & pots. (Read 298 times) previous topic - next topic

Champion: book & pots.
As a mage, i'm mostly left in disappointment with the amount of combat book i get. I rarely ever get magic books. As for the potions, they are way too rare.

I've been playing for a week since i came-back and i only got 2 stat potions. I farm once per power-hour with the chance of seeing 2-4 champs.

As a mage, i keep getting combat books. I got so many of them now. I only got 2-3 spell books and i'm killing elementals mostly.

Pots are so rare that you have to wonder if you should hold-on to them up until the point where lvling your remaining stats gets rough.

I once killed a champion who had nothing that a champ usually drops.

For books, casters such as elementals should always drop magic book. Melee/archer mob should only drop combat book.
Potions should drop more often. Spending an hour on a spawn with 0 potion leaves you feeling empty when you want more progression for your character than loot.

All-in-all, champions don't really feel like a catch-up mechanism, it only feel like an other way for power-lvlers to get higher faster. I mean, it really looks like you have to save your potions and books for later.

• memes
  • [*][*][*][*]
Re: Champion: book & pots.
Reply #1
stop farming kobolds then

i got 2 pots from a yellow mob champion once

Reply #2
Look for spawns that are actually more spawns at the same place. That way you can get way more champs per hour.

Champs are far from ideal, most are just boring punching bags, but at some places you can farm really A LOT of books + some pots and keys.
Wyverex Erisian, SG of Scrubs

Still a member of SaltyBitches™ Club

Reply #3
stop farming kobolds then

i got 2 pots from a yellow mob champion once

I don't kill kobolds, i kill orange lvl mobs from the unofficial darkfall new dawn map that we have. I can go for the yellow mobs to see if it's better, but when you said you got 2 pots off 1 champ, that doesn't really encourage me.

Killing a champ should always feel satisfying if your goal is to catch-up.  Not finding at-least 1 potion or 1 spell scrolls as a mage during your power-hour before work leaves you with an empty stomach.

Since champs don't always drop pots or spell scrolls, atleast not even 1 per hour, i don'T even want to farm unless i got my power-hour activated.

Look for spawns that are actually more spawns at the same place. That way you can get way more champs per hour.

Champs are far from ideal, most are just boring punching bags, but at some places you can farm really A LOT of books + some pots and keys.

I always do that and i can say that i do it efficiently. I can make so much gold per hour. I even think it's too easy to be rich in this game. I already got 150k and i haven'T sold most of my shit yet.

But to me, gold don't mean shit if i can't compete. I run out of stam and mana too quick atm when my enemy who is much more developed is at 30-40% hp.
  • Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 01:22:59 am by Bloodymurderer

Reply #4
You say "As a mage, i'm mostly left in disappointment with the amount of combat book i get."
But combat books means "Non-crafting title books" so it is also a mage book in sort way... they are made for raising combat titles ( also magic schools) to level 50

Reply #5
You say "As a mage, i'm mostly left in disappointment with the amount of combat book i get."
But combat books means "Non-crafting title books" so it is also a mage book in sort way... they are made for raising combat titles ( also magic schools) to level 50

You are right, but you talking long-term here.

In DnD, i still somewhat need to use all magic school. Fire has haste, earth has iron-skin, air has arrow-ward & tornado, infliction has shrapnel, witch-craft for mana drain and for some reason, you can still cycle lighting-strike+r50 fire nuke +. Right now, i want my magic to be unlocked and good. I'm not thinking about combat. Beside, in dnd, you can win with magic only from what i've seen.

IT's nice that i'm getting combat books, i only wish that the rate of getting combat and magic books was equal.

• Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 01:55:08 am by Bloodymurderer

• memes
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
tldr buff mages

Reply #7
Personally I think it's fine.  I usually med a school to about 95 then read 5 books when the med gets REALLY expensive.  I don't expect all schools to be at 100 in a month, that's ROA.

Also, buying/trading books is a big part of the economy.  Check those marketplaces!  Any Mage who's already capped that school may dump those books on the market.

Reply #8
Personally I think it's fine.  I usually med a school to about 95 then read 5 books when the med gets REALLY expensive.  I don't expect all schools to be at 100 in a month, that's ROA.

Also, buying/trading books is a big part of the economy.  Check those marketplaces!  Any Mage who's already capped that school may dump those books on the market.

That'd be good if i had 10 spell books and 10 combat title books. Instead, i have like 20 combat books and i probably got 3 magic books max. I've gotten arcane, unholy and infliction. I regret using them tho. It's so rare to get spell books that as a mage, you should grind your magic and only use spell books when it gets rough: same for pots.

I don't see why you think it's fine. The mage grind has always been hard and the champion patch is no buff to mages on the grind-side of things. Even getting high-end gear mages is dumb-hard. I regret lvling mages in all honestly, but i feel like it's too late to switch. I see your point clearly, but the way you do it brings us back to ''before the champ patch'' except you actually have to save your spell-books since you don't get that many anyway.

In all honestly, i don't feel like playing DnD as much. I'd be full into it if i was mostly invested in melee/archery. I might just go back to ROA and wait for more tweaks. I'm not even waiting on new features, but bindstone-patch kinda is a must too if you are living away from your home-town.

I know that ubergames has mentioned that in a upcoming patch, magic titles will focus more on utilities. If that means that i get to only lvl air and arcane, then i'd be good. Until then, i might be done for now. I was expecting to catch-up in a noticeable way with the champ patch alone. I didn't think that i'd have to still collect med-points and log-out for days.

Reply #9
Combat Title books are common.
School/Weapon books are uncommon.
Elixirs are rare.

It's the same for everyone, fighter or mage.

And the fact that mage has A LOT MORE to grind than fighter has nothing to do with champions.
So maybe your feedback is a bit misplaced.

PS there's also a lot of RNG involved in champion drops. Once, I've gotten 3 Combat Title + 2 school books + 1 weapon book + 1 potion + 1 medium map all from a single Ghost champion. And they are kinda  an easy monster (light yellow).
I do hope @Ub3rgames reduces the RNG impact a bit, and makes it clear that orange champs really are better than yellow champs.
Wyverex Erisian, SG of Scrubs

Still a member of SaltyBitches™ Club

Reply #10
Combat Title books are common.
School/Weapon books are uncommon.
Elixirs are rare.

It's the same for everyone, fighter or mage.

And the fact that mage has A LOT MORE to grind than fighter has nothing to do with champions.
So maybe your feedback is a bit misplaced.

PS there's also a lot of RNG involved in champion drops. Once, I've gotten 3 Combat Title + 2 school books + 1 weapon book + 1 potion + 1 medium map all from a single Ghost champion. And they are kinda  an easy monster (light yellow).
I do hope @Ub3rgames reduces the RNG impact a bit, and makes it clear that orange champs really are better than yellow champs.

The RNG between two of the same mobs (ogre boss 4x) spawn I like to do makes me wonder if the heat map-distance between mob spawns and banks effect the drops. I've been thinking this ever since I moved down south there's clearly a difference between the two.
  • Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 07:18:49 pm by Ivar_theBoneless

Reply #11
Imma say just this. Ppl don't usually like RNG. It's very frustrating to me to not get what i want everytime i kill a champ.

At first, i expected to find 1 pot per champion kill and i thought you had to kill mage type mobs to get magic scrolls while the combat mobs would give you combat books, but it doesn't seem to work by this logic.

Now, since they have decided to make potion drop rate rare for some dumb reason, we need pots to have 3 type of tiers.
Tier 1: from 0 to 50. Tier 2, from 0 to 80. Tier 3, from 0 to 100.

As of now, i don't see champ loot as a catch-up mechanism at all and what i thought would bring me back playing dnd for good doesn't work so i'm not sure if i wanna stay actually.

The meditation system is a band-aid for how terrible DFO's grind was. The fact that i feel like i still mostly have to rely on that pisses me off.
  • Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 03:48:13 pm by Bloodymurderer

Reply #12

You are right, but you talking long-term here.

In DnD, i still somewhat need to use all magic school. Fire has haste, earth has iron-skin, air has arrow-ward & tornado, infliction has shrapnel, witch-craft for mana drain and for some reason, you can still cycle lighting-strike+r50 fire nuke +. Right now, i want my magic to be unlocked and good. I'm not thinking about combat. Beside, in dnd, you can win with magic only from what i've seen.

IT's nice that i'm getting combat books, i only wish that the rate of getting combat and magic books was equal.

Shrapnel is raw magic and you dont rly want that since its a r90 now. Mana leech and drain both are arcane magic. Witchcraft has nothing of interest.

Important schools are air(arrow shield, tornado), arcane(mana leech), fire(haste spells), earth(stam leech, iron skin), spellchanting(general other heals).
Max out 1 magic school for dmg (preferably air/fire) and unlock the above spells and youre good to go.

Reply #13
I dont see big problem here. I get nice % drop books/stat potions from hard spots. Also, if you sell materials/cap village, you will have money and can easy to buy potions/books from market.
Game is fine now, you can grind you skills/spells on mob, you can mediatate, get books from mobs or buy it from market. Its not big price, actualy even for stat potions.
Dolly Monk